PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fleger is pissing me off

Status
Not open for further replies.
PonyExpress said:
He's so over the top, it's the classic case of the informant IMO. Remember, his wife went on a trip with the owner of the Patriots and Tom Brady. Does that sound like someone on the outside looking in?

I remember.

Maybe Brady got jiggy with his wife and now he's mad?

Slagathor said:
I remember.

Maybe Brady got jiggy with his wife and now he's mad?
:p Here's another thought: Why did the Krafts hire Borges for their pregame show, not to mention Gresh? They want controversy, they want to stir it up. I think they realize that the Pats mindboggling success and BBs stoic nature are almost stupefying to the fan base, lacking the craze of publicity surrounding the Desperate Housewives across town. Maybe Felger's contrarian stances are something they encourage in order to steal headlines from the olde towne debacle. I still say Felger's a stool pigeon.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:
:p Here's another thought: Why did the Krafts hire Borges for their pregame show, not to mention Gresh? They want controversy, they want to stir it up. I think they realize that the Pats mindboggling success and BBs stoic nature are almost stupefying to the fan base, lacking the craze of publicity surrounding the Desperate Housewives across town. Maybe Felger's contrarian stances are something they encourage in order to steal headlines from the olde towne debacle. I still say Felger's a stool pigeon.

I've had a couple of beers, and your theory has swayed me.

Truly, it's not a bad angle.

What other way to build passion in the fan base than to have some jerk-offs constantly slamming the team. Especially during pre- and post game.

PonyExpress said:
Remember, his wife went on a trip with the owner of the Patriots and Tom Brady. Does that sound like someone on the outside looking in?

Tom: I believe the cucumber is the most sensual of all vegetables.
Mrs. Felger: Vegetables are sensuous. People are sensual.
Tom: Mrs Felger, I'm so glad you could come.
Mrs. Felger: Cut the crap. Give me a drink.

PonyExpress said:
He's so over the top, it's the classic case of the informant IMO. Remember, his wife went on a trip with the owner of the Patriots and Tom Brady. Does that sound like someone on the outside looking in?

Jeezz, you don't think that either Kraft or Brady nailed the hottie on that trip and caused the guy to lose it vis-a-vis the Pats do ya? Naw, couldn't be.

EDIT: missed post #21 sorry

Last edited:
Slagathor said:
I've thought about this long and hard.....and then it came to me.

As we can all see, there are few guys in the media who pro-Pats. The reason for this though has little to do any anti-pats bias or anger at a lack of accessibility to the team.

Rather, all these guys (Borges, Felger, the dooshbags on Fox and now even Tomase) are auditioning for the ever expanding NFL National Media market.

With all the new TV and internet NFL journalistic venues, these guys are looking for a "step up" from the pathetic local coverage.

Hence, they can't be homers.

They have to be serious, controversial and antagonistic and dare I say unbiased.

I'm totally convinced of this.
You have the right idea but I think it is a bit different. When you get people all riled up and talking about what a jerk you are, you get your name out there. There's no such thing as bad press for a journalist. It's better to be talked of in negative terms than simply be anonymous. Felger deliberately says stupid things so people will talk about how stupid he is and get all outraged - which is exactly what his employers want.

Felger used to make a lot of sense, and nobody talked about him much. Now he's a jackass and everyone is talking about him. That's exactly what he wants.

PonyExpress said:
I have my own conspiracy theory about Felger's conspiracy theories. F's wife is a newswoman hottie who gets around in upper crust circles and drags this slob along. She actually accompanied Brady and Kraft on their trip to Israel. I believe Felger is friendly on a social level with the Krafts and others within the Pats organization, and I think they plant stories with him to press buttons with their players. The coincidences are too many to ignore. F kept beating on Corey being washed up a minicamp, and how J. Sullivan was a "tub of goo". I think the Pats encouraged F to write these stories to motivate their players, in exchange for certain inside scoops. Meanwhile Felger, the classic stooge rat undercover type, at all other times flaunts his supposed independence and criticism to an outrageous degree to cover up the fact he is actually doing dirty work for the Patriots. Just a hunch.

Fascinating line of thinking.

But remind me. When has F. scooped any inside info?

flutie2phelan said:

He secured Josh Miller for his radio show and got a "Patriots' Friday". Maybe for the rest of it they did a jedi mind trick on him.;)

i just read this topic... it was a brilliant (although obvious to any 14-yo kid who plays madden) move... if you take the FG, then the other team has 4 downs every set... they know they need a TD... if they score, you lose... or, you go for the 4th and 2, and win the game right then... simple... play more madden if you are going to report on football... then you will know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:

LOL... about the same time as borges, who is now nationally known as a patriot-hating bufoon (um, ps... the douche is a pats reporter)... if you dont think so, try florio for a nice read... toadie borges is now thought of as a "star magazine" type of reporter... it's funny toadie never addresses his sh!tting on seymour, isnt it? yo, toadie, how are your impact palyers, david terrell and koren robinson doing? you are not qualified to write about the nfl.

Last edited:
Interestingly, though, the Colts were in a very similar situation in their game. It was 4th and 2, they were up by 2, and they brought in Vinatieri to kick.

It was not exactly the same, of course. They were closer to the goal and there was about 35 seconds less in the game. So, even if Adam misses, it's a longer field the other way with less time. Of course, Adam doesn't miss those.

I think Belichick would also have kicked in the same situation, particularly on the road. I also agreed with his call on Sunday. Still, with Vinatieri on the side line, Dungee's decision seemed like more of a no brainer than BB's.

PatsFaninAZ said:
Interestingly, though, the Colts were in a very similar situation in their game. It was 4th and 2, they were up by 2, and they brought in Vinatieri to kick.

It was not exactly the same, of course. They were closer to the goal and there was about 35 seconds less in the game. So, even if Adam misses, it's a longer field the other way with less time. Of course, Adam doesn't miss those.

I think Belichick would also have kicked in the same situation, particularly on the road. I also agreed with his call on Sunday. Still, with Vinatieri on the side line, Dungee's decision seemed like more of a no brainer than BB's.

yes - but there are a couple of distinct differences between these two situations:
1) The Colts can't run the ball.
2) Their coach has never won a superbowl.

hence, the cowardly field goal and hope. they got away with it because it was the giants. if they were playing an afc team in the playoffs they'd be making their usual exit.

QuiGon said:
You have the right idea but I think it is a bit different. When you get people all riled up and talking about what a jerk you are, you get your name out there. There's no such thing as bad press for a journalist. It's better to be talked of in negative terms than simply be anonymous. Felger deliberately says stupid things so people will talk about how stupid he is and get all outraged - which is exactly what his employers want.

Felger used to make a lot of sense, and nobody talked about him much. Now he's a jackass and everyone is talking about him. That's exactly what he wants.
very true.

Here's the thing with this thread - felger and borges are absolutely only being jerks to create publicity and ratings. nobody would ever even care about them otherwise.

but saying their as*es or no more than a sports version of howard stern isn't enough. you've got to flick that switch in your head that says:
'I understand what their act is all about, and I'm never gonna let them get a rise out of me again. I know that's all their trying to do, so why fall victim to it - I simply need to either totally ignore them, or just don't take a word they say serioulsy'.

now the best thing would be to not ever read or wath them, and refuse to discuss them, because if everyone did that they would lose their power. However, human nature being what it is, that's almost impossible for most sports fans, so your best bet is to just not take them seriously ever.

PonyExpress said:

I believe Pony has BINGO.

Felger also just got himself a Patriots Friday gig for ESPN 890 which is forcing WEEI which has Patriots Monday but usually had Fred and DeOssie on again on Fridays to do NFL and Beat the Frauds when not talking Sox to ramp up their Friday football coverage ASAP. Felger used to be the voice of reason on WEEI but all they did was let him talk football once a week. Once he started ripping the Sox a new A-hole began to become a celebrity "sports" talking head. That led to FSNE where he morphed into the raving lunatic whose overwound stchick attracted the eye of some keen headhunter at ESPN who realized Felger had what it took to be a fast talking ESPN personality. Because that is what they all have mostly become at ESPN - annoying personalities who have mastered staccato opinion spewing. This is all about sports as entertainment 24/7. Even the fledgling NFL Network is beginning to morph into this format. I guess there is not sufficient audience for intelligent in depth football programming like what ESPN used to do with JAWS breaking down film. Sigh...

For some real Patriots theatre of the absurd today we had Glen Ordway and Paul Perillo practically coming to blows on WEEI about the concept of criticizing the personnel philosophy of Belioli. And Ordway was the good guy! While Perillo was championing the this FO has taken arrogance too far and WE'RE LOSING ALL OUR TALENT crowd. That would be the same FO who signs Perillo's paychecks.

This I believe is Jonathan's pervue. Daddy didn't send him to Harvard for nothing. They know they have hard core football fans by the short hairs. It's the idiot sports fan demographic and the idiot casual or fringe fan they are all courting.

Last edited:
felger is just waiting for gost to miss a kick..josh miller was on today on his show today and he asks him what about this kicker..."i think he is screwed"....and then talks about giants/colts game and adam was money ....
he knows the rookie will miss a kick at some point and is just waiting to pounce...poor gost...hopefully he can handle this media idiocy. its tough to understand this bitterness towards the pats after all the good times they have given us and are still working in the best interests of the team..

SamBam39 said:
yes - but there are a couple of distinct differences between these two situations:
1) The Colts can't run the ball.
2) Their coach has never won a superbowl.

hence, the cowardly field goal and hope. they got away with it because it was the giants. if they were playing an afc team in the playoffs they'd be making their usual exit.

I don't know about all that. Are you telling me that in that same situation you would want BB to go for it? That is, 4th and 2, 1:20 left, at the 15 yard line? I think you have to kick there every time.

The question is whether you also should have kicked in the situation the Pats were in -- 11 yards further out and 35 seconds more on the clock. It's a lot closer there, and I agreed with BB's decision. That said, and I hate to agree with a weenie like Felger, I'm not sure I agree if we had Vinatieri on the sideline, and I'm not sure BB would have done the same.

SamBam39 said:
Here's the thing with this thread - felger and borges are absolutely only being jerks to create publicity and ratings. nobody would ever even care about them otherwise.

exactly true... as a reporter, you can either have inside access, and get breaking stories (i dont have to say any names here, you all know who i mean)... or, you can cause controversy... which reporters get their names mentioned more? which reporters do more NE readers know?

PatsFaninAZ said:
I don't know about all that. Are you telling me that in that same situation you would want BB to go for it? That is, 4th and 2, 1:20 left, at the 15 yard line? I think you have to kick there every time.

The question is whether you also should have kicked in the situation the Pats were in -- 11 yards further out and 35 seconds more on the clock. It's a lot closer there, and I agreed with BB's decision. That said, and I hate to agree with a weenie like Felger, I'm not sure I agree if we had Vinatieri on the sideline, and I'm not sure BB would have done the same.

obviously you see the world through a different set of eyes than I do.

let's just say I think you are grossly mistaken.

rookBoston said:
As a new example of inflammatory journalism (if you can call it journalism), what about this little barb in his report card on the Bills game:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=157121&format=&page=3

Talk about totally misreading the situation. Does he even understand the game of football?

If the Pats had taken the 3 points, they would have gone up by 5 points, giving the ball back to the Bills for last minute heroics. That FG is almost worthless, except in Vegas. The only value in the game is that it would have taken a Buffalo FG out of consideration. It forces them to try for a TD.

But, by going for it on 4th down, and making it the Pats iced the game. That one play clinches the win, because they were able kneel on the ball and win by 2. Precisely what happened.

Now, supposing they try and dont make it on 4th down, they turn the ball over deep in Buffalo territory. And Buffalo only needs to get into FG range to win it all, but they still need to drive the length of the field.

But, as BB mentioned in his post-game, he felt that the OL was the strength of the team, and they had dominated in the running attack. So, to me, going for it on 4th down to win the game, instead of taking the 3 and giving the ball to Buffalo, was actually a stroke of genius, a very smart bet and a perfect example of situational football in action. It's called keep away.

Of course, Felger uses the call as evidence that BB doesn't trust his kicker. What utter crap. More like, it's evidence that he knows he has a dominant running game that can get 2 yards against the Bills when it's needed.

The kid kicker has yet to let us down ever. And whether it was Gost or Adam kicking the ball, the decision to go for it at the end of the game had nothing to do with the kicker at all.

I think this wouldn't bother me so much is Felger weren't so smug about how smart he thinks he is, and how self-assured he is that he "understands" the Pats. This, on top of the entire Smith/Childress misinformation session, roasting BB on the entire Branch thing... what a crock. He's quickly going the way of Borges on my sh!t list.
why does anybody care what some idiot on t.v. or the radio says anyway let alone start a thread about it ?who cares what felger says

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes