PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First shot at the 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course Brace's production was very disappointing last season, but didn't we kind of know at the time he was picked that he'd take a while to make the transition to our system? I don't know, it just seems kinda weird giving up on him after his first year in the system when he was thought of as a guy who'd have to convert to a new position in the first place.

Vince Wilfork himself is a good example of a player who took a while to fully grasp the system and start playing at a high level. Tedy Bruschi is another.

It's the Madden/fantasy football mentality taking over the sport. Chiefs fans are demanding 8 wins from that train wreck of a team in just year two of Pioli's tenure. The Broncos fans, even those who've supported McDaniels are screaming for the playoffs in his second year, even though it's clear that he's not finished rebuilding there. The Steelers fans will be screaming about losses even though Big Ben is on the sidelines for the start of the season. Quarterbacks are supposed to be awesome from game 1 now, so you can imagine how HOF worthy second round defensive tackles have to be regardless of whether or not they've ever played NT before.

Bottom line: people are idiots, and they often don't think before they speak/write/type.

I would be surprised if the 5 RBs remain the same,I would think a FA will come along and force at least one of them out.

More like one of the three on the Geritol committee is going to get injured again.

Much will happen.
There will be free agent additions.
There will be injuries.

But for now, there is more consensus than ever at this very early stage.

I'm sure there will be those that will remind me that Alexander, Slater and even Lockett will find a way to the 53-man roster by the time Game 2 arrives.

Offense: 24
QB (2) - Brady, Hoyer
RB (4) - Faulk, Maroney, Taylor, Morris
WR (6) - Moss, Edelman, Tate, Price, Holt, Aiken (PUP: Welker)
TE (3) - Gronkowski, Hernandez, Crumpler
OT (4) - Light, Vollmer, Kaczur, LeVoir/Welch
OG/C (5) - Mankins, Neal, Koppen, Larsen/Connolly, Ohrnberger

Defense: 26
DL (7) - Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Pryor, Lewis, Brace, Deaderick/Warren
OLB (5) - Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Woods, Murrell/Crable
ILB (4) - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie
CB (6) - Bodden, Springs, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite/Wheatley, Arrington
S (4) - Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan

Special Teams: 3
ST (3) - Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram

Last edited by a moderator:
Offense: 25
QB (2) - Brady, Hoyer
RB (5) - Faulk, Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Green-Ellis
WR (6) - Moss, Edelman, Tate, Price, Holt, Aiken (PUP: Welker)
TE (3) - Gronkowski, Hernandez, Crumpler
OT (4) - Light, Vollmer, Kaczur, LeVoir
OG/C (5) - Mankins, Neal, Koppen, Connolly, Ohrnberger

Defense: 25
DL (7) - Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Pryor, Lewis, Brace
OLB (5) - Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Woods, Murrell
ILB (5) - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie, Alexander
CB (5) - Bodden, Springs, McCourty, Butler, Arrington
S (4) - Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan

Special Teams: 3
ST (3) - Gostkowski, Mesko, Ingram

Practice Squad: Richard, Bussey, Weston, Deaderick, Welch, Larsen, Robinson

Other notable cuts: Patten, Slater, Stanback, G. Warren (or Lewis), Crable (or Murrell), Lockett (or McGowan), Wilhite (or Springs), Wheatley

Traded/Cut: A. Thomas

...There are still some obvious weaker spots - RB, OLB, DE, maybe WR

You have 13 guys who didn't start the roster -- 1/4 of the total.

That's probably a little low. Likely additional casualties are BJGE, Alexander, McGowan, and maybe somebody on the OL. On the other hand, I'd guess Slater would somehow stay.

And like others, I think you have the CBs wrong. Springs doesn't stay over both Ws.

From those of us who no longer have the time to follow the PATS daily we thank you for your analysis.
Agree with Welker on PUP. Don't think Edelman and Aiken make the final 53.

I don't know what team you are watching but at last look this team has as much lack of depth at WR after 2 guys than most teams...why in the world would we lose a slot receiver when Welker is probably on the shelf until the snow flies?.

With that being said,I think Edelman takes a step back since teams will no longer be surprised and bewildred at this wr/qb project and now have some film on him.

Also, there almost always are 1 or 2 6th+ round or UDFA rookies who make the opening day roster.

Deaderick is the popular guess this year. I think there's merit to that; it's not clear he'd make it to the PS, given the need for natural 3-4 DEs. (And BTW -- even if he does, it might take rookie minimum rather than PS salary to keep him with the Pats.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes