PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First shot at the 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aiken is an exception and was a "real" wide receiver last year. I also think that this makes him much more valuable than the rest.

Up to a point, you're right. However, those guys DO line up on Downs 1-3 on occasion, especially Aiken last year. How thin the roster is allowed to get counting just guys who aren't primary STers is rightly influenced by what the primary STers are believed to be able to do on Downs 1-3.

Admittedly, Aiken is unusual in that he was a 2nd-round pick as a position player for what presumably struck at least the Bills front office as sufficient reason.

Just to throw some stuff at the wall . . .

1) I pick Ron Brace to be this year's Kevin O'Connell.

2) Darryl Richard makes the squad. I think BB values him more highly than we realize; he mentioned Richard as a late-round find in his interview with Pat Kirwan on SIRIUS NFL Radio a few days ago. (Deaderick to the PS for now.)

3) I know we love McKenzie & Spikes, but Guyton is my day 1 starter.

4) Adalius sticks. No real logic behind this one, except: when was the last time Belichick did anything expected?

2) Darryl Richard makes the squad. I think BB values him more highly than we realize; he mentioned Richard as a late-round find in his interview with Pat Kirwan on SIRIUS NFL Radio a few days ago. (Deaderick to the PS for now.)

4) Adalius sticks. No real logic behind this one, except: when was the last time Belichick did anything expected?

Guyton starts at OLB. I know he needs a little more sand in his pants to set the edge, but his speed is needed on the pass rush.

OK, let's try again.

A) I did not list Welker because he will be on the PUP list. If he is not on the PUP list, I would go with six receivers.

B) I did not say that Patten is a lock unless someone breaks a leg, and even then we might briong in another vet.

C) You can choose to believe that Holt is not a lock. As I said, he could break a leg.

D) Let's be real clear. I don't expect much from our #4 and #5 developmental receivers. Hopefully Tate will be active as a returner, and will get a few reps at receiver. Price will be inactive almost always.

The reason I am including Welker on the roster is that when he comes off the PUP in week 6 (if that is the case) someone has to get the ax to make room.

Brace's problem is not his attitude or willingness to learn, it's simply technique.

Guyton starts at OLB. I know he needs a little more sand in his pants to set the edge, but his speed is needed on the pass rush.

No way. He was eaten alive in every snap he took at OLB thus far. He'll probably begin the season as a starter, but I expect him to be a role player, coming in for Spikes on passing downs down the road.

Brace's problem is not his attitude or willingness to learn, it's simply technique.

How is he to improve his echnique except through learning. So, if after a full year his technique has not improved, what does that say about his learning...

No way. He was eaten alive in every snap he took at OLB thus far. He'll probably begin the season as a starter, but I expect him to be a role player, coming in for Spikes on passing downs down the road.

Maybe. I believe he played 87% of all defensive snaps last season. Belichick loves this kid. Remember he was only a second year guy in 2009.

The reason I am including Welker on the roster is that when he comes off the PUP in week 6 (if that is the case) someone has to get the ax to make room.

Someone or someones will probably have been put on IR by then.

Guyton does his job and all that is asked of him. I'm sure that he'll have camp and preseason reps at OLB. However, he seems a perfect fit in the ILB rotation for now. I do understand that if BOTH Spikes and McKenzie look good that Guyton will be looking for other roles. I don't see it 2010.

Maybe. I believe he played 87% of all defensive snaps last season. Belichick loves this kid. Remember he was only a second year guy in 2009.

He played alot, but,then again, there wasn't much competition for his spot on the roster. This year we have McKenzie and Spikes, and both look like better fits for our defensive scheme if they pan out like I think they will.

How is he to improve his echnique except through learning. So, if after a full year his technique has not improved, what does that say about his learning...

Imagine if you said the same thing about Bruschi, who did not make any significant improvements in his second year.

I didn't even know he played QB.:confused:

Depends, considering Wilfork was still playing too close to the line half way through his 2nd season.

I would be surprised if the 5 RBs remain the same,I would think a FA will come along and force at least one of them out.

I had Richard on my original roster and I still counted him, I don't know why I removed his name.

As far as ILB goes, Guyton is best suited as a sub LB and he'll get plenty of reps there, but starters are the guys out there on first down, first series, and I think Spikes or McKenzie will be that guy.

Last edited:
Of course Brace's production was very disappointing last season, but didn't we kind of know at the time he was picked that he'd take a while to make the transition to our system? I don't know, it just seems kinda weird giving up on him after his first year in the system when he was thought of as a guy who'd have to convert to a new position in the first place.

Vince Wilfork himself is a good example of a player who took a while to fully grasp the system and start playing at a high level. Tedy Bruschi is another.

Of course Brace's production was very disappointing last season, but didn't we kind of know at the time he was picked that he'd take a while to make the transition to our system? I don't know, it just seems kinda weird giving up on him after his first year in the system when he was thought of as a guy who'd have to convert to a new position in the first place.

Vince Wilfork himself is a good example of a player who took a while to fully grasp the system and start playing at a high level. Tedy Bruschi is another.

Only one person in this thread has made that assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes