PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First shot at the 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree mostly. would like to see bryan anderson on the roster instead of aiken. also im hoping adalius thomas is gone like you said. its time to move on and admit the mistake.

Lower half of WR/CB/LB roster are in ST, so that is why you will see Aiken stay. If Bryan makes the roster, he would have to displace someone in the top half of the WR roster.

If Edelman gets cut, I will get a picture of Rex Ryan's face tattooed on my torso*

* I reserve the right to renege on this if Edelman gets into some entirely unforeseen trouble with the law or has a similarly unforeseen fallout with BB or other Pats personnel

Looks like another tight squeeze on final cut down day.

The special teams spots look particularly interesting. Slater, Lockett, and Alexander look like they'll have to make it based almost entirely on ST; Aiken and Woods look to have at least some value outside of ST; Murrell and Arrington may or may not be looked at as having some outside ST value; then there's the likes of Chung, McGowan, Ninkovich, and Meriweather who definitely have value on defense, and the rookies who may or may not have value anywhere at all.

I fully expect Arrington to make it because he was unbelievable last year, plus Aiken and Woods. I've always been on Eric Alexander's side, but if Murrell shows potential value as a sub rusher, it could squeeze Alexander out. There there's Lockett, who if I remember correctly, was on every ST unit until his season ended.

Any of the ST guys out there got a better idea of where everyone may fit? Do Murrell, Lockett, or Arrington potentially provide value on defense?

I think you brought up some good points about the special teamers. It will be very intense competition for the few ST spots on the club. While BB likes to keep several just ST'er each year- this could be the year that good ST play alone won't give you a job. There are too many young athletic studs to develop into servicable backups that CAN contribute rotational spot play or such - so I believe the Alexanders and Slaters and....are gone. This year you have to be able to be a serviceable backup to make the team (of which Alexander / Slater are not). Only exception I could see is Arrington (as he was a ST phenomenon) and maybe Aiken as the ST captain.

Other Vet 'surprise' cuts:
Springs (better than Wheately but go with cheap, youth and also Springs get injured each year as well). Boddin becomes the new wise old sage to groom the kiddies.
BJGE (he is what he is, another RB will be drafted round 1 or 2 next year), need to develop all the new talent at other positions
A.T. (is he still here?)
and all the other ones listed by the original post (Patten, Gerrald Warrren, Zac Robinson (drafted just to keep TB arm fresh in TC) etc.

If Edelman gets cut, I will get a picture of Rex Ryan's face tattooed on my torso*

* I reserve the right to renege on this if Edelman gets into some entirely unforeseen trouble with the law or has a similarly unforeseen fallout with BB or other Pats personnel

Edelman is more likely to lead the Patriots in catches next season.

Aiken was/still our ST captain, i don't see him getting cut.

Last edited:
I dont see us keeping 5 running backs this year. I say we keep 4 then use one slot for a receiver or special teams.

mgteich's repeated indictments of BJGE's role are convincing. I'm swinging over to agreeing with you.

I really like this roster. But where do you project Bryan Anderson to be? I think he has a legit crack at the roster. Also I really would be surprised if Springs came back.

I project Bryan Anderson to be the 14th wide receiver on the depth chart. Tell me who is ahead of him.

That looks like 6 names on your list of 7 DL, which could make room for the guy I consider the biggest omission: Deaderick. He's a natural 5-technique who can really anchor.

I included Richard on my first list but then cut him but forgot to change the count, which means I probably only have 52 total.

OFFENSE
I suspect that we may have only 24 players on offense. But if I am to predict 25, I would make two changes.

1) LARSEN over Connelly. Ohrnberger should be ready to be the Game Day backup at guard and center. If not, he would be the one to go.

2) Add SLATER over Green-Ellis. If Morris can upgraded by a veteran free agent, then fine. In any case, we don't need a 5th running back. We have added an h-back (Hernandez).

This 25th position is a Special Teams position and Arrington could get it over Slater.

Offense: 25
QB (2) - Brady, Hoyer
RB (5) - Faulk, Maroney, Taylor, Morris, Green-Ellis
WR (6) - Moss, Edelman, Tate, Price, Holt, Aiken (PUP: Welker)
TE (3) - Gronkowski, Hernandez, Crumpler
OT (4) - Light, Vollmer, Kaczur, LeVoir
OG/C (5) - Mankins, Neal, Koppen, Connolly, Ohrnberger

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty much on board with this 53. I'd rather see Springs get cut than Wilhite, and that's still a pretty sorry looking OLB rotation, IMO. But other than that, that's a pretty good squad.

From those of us who no longer have the time to follow the PATS daily we thank you for your analysis.
Agree with Welker on PUP. Don't think Edelman and Aiken make the final 53.

I will bet you one million dollars that Edelman makes the final 53.

DEFENSE

DEADERICK over Alexander.
You indicated that we needed seven dfensive lineman 9and then listed six). I agree that seven is the need. Gerald Warren could make it, but, as you, I don't have him on the roster as of now. We have eight. One will be injured before Game One.

We did sign a real 3-4 defensive end. Let's keep him. It really is time for Alexander to go. I see him on the outside looking in to the ST battle between Slater and Arrington.

BURGESS or another free agent over Murrell
I hope that we can do better than Murrell. If not, he'll stay. His competition is Crable.

WILHITE over Arrington
Thsi really isn't close. Wilhite is a dime back that we have used as a starter or nickel back. He is certainly good enough to be the dime back and backup. We need four corners for every game. One or two are almost always injured at some time during the year. Besides, given the injury history of Springs, Wilhite may be more valuable than Springs.

I accept Springs on the roster as of now. My hope is that Wheatley can beat him out for the roster spot.

Defense: 25
DL (6) - Wilfork, Warren, Wright, Pryor, Lewis, Brace
OLB (5) - Banta-Cain, Cunningham, Ninkovich, Woods, Murrell
ILB (5) - Mayo, Spikes, Guyton, McKenzie, Alexander
CB (5) - Bodden, Springs, McCourty, Butler, Arrington
S (4) - Meriweather, Chung, Sanders, McGowan

Last edited by a moderator:
I project Bryan Anderson to be the 14th wide receiver on the depth chart. Tell me who is ahead of him.

After training camp I will have a better idea. I plan to attend a few.

Unless someone breaks a leg, our wide receivers are Moss, Holt, Edelman, Tate and Price. The team has heavy commitments to all of them. With three tight end targets, there is absolutely no need for a sixth position receiver.

We sometimes list special teams like Aiken and Slater as receivers. That is simply a mislabeling once you get past five. If either make the squad, it will be as one of the 2-3 special team only players who make the squad and need to be listed somewhere in the depth charts.

If someone breaks a leg, this would make room for Patten or another old veteran, not a raw rookie.

We may, or may not, carry a wide receiver on the Practice Squad.

After training camp I will have a better idea. I plan to attend a few.

Last edited:
Unless someone breaks a leg, our wide receivers are Moss, Holt, Edelman, Tate and Price. The team has heavy commitments to all of them. With three tight end targets, there is absolutely no need for a sixth position receiver.

We sometimes list special teams like Aiken and Slater as receivers. That is simply a mislabeling once you get past five. If either make the squad, it will be as one of the 2-3 special team only players who make the squad and need to be listed somewhere in the depth charts.

Up to a point, you're right. However, those guys DO line up on Downs 1-3 on occasion, especially Aiken last year. How thin the roster is allowed to get counting just guys who aren't primary STers is rightly influenced by what the primary STers are believed to be able to do on Downs 1-3.

Admittedly, Aiken is unusual in that he was a 2nd-round pick as a position player for what presumably struck at least the Bills front office as sufficient reason.

Last edited:

If someone breaks a leg, this would make room for Patten or another old veteran, not a raw rookie.

We may, or may not, carry a wide receiver on the Practice Squad.

You forgot Welker. Also Holt and Patten are not locks. My question is, are Tate and Price genuine deep threats? One of the things we need to do is stop the over safety from cheating so much towards Moss.

I have to admit after looking at a few reels of Price, he is one tough son of a *****. That is always a plus.

OK, let's try again.

A) I did not list Welker because he will be on the PUP list. If he is not on the PUP list, I would go with six receivers.

B) I did not say that Patten is a lock unless someone breaks a leg, and even then we might briong in another vet.

C) You can choose to believe that Holt is not a lock. As I said, he could break a leg.

D) Let's be real clear. I don't expect much from our #4 and #5 developmental receivers. Hopefully Tate will be active as a returner, and will get a few reps at receiver. Price will be inactive almost always.

You forgot Welker. Also Holt and Patten are not locks. My question is, are Tate and Price genuine deep threats? One of the things we need to do is stop the over safety from cheating so much towards Moss.

Admittedly, Aiken is unusual in that he was a 2nd-round pick as a position player for what presumably struck at least the Bills front office as sufficient reason.

Wasn't he a 4th round pick?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3