PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Standings...a sneak preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fins have an eaiser schedule, better QB and secondary improved coaching, yet their record doesn't improve, meanwhile the Pats lose talent and they improve by three games. Sure!

Last edited:
yes... we loose a lot of talent... an aging Linebacker, an aging kicker and an overrated wide receiver.

WOW... 4-12 season for us...

Thanks ItsNotTheHEATItsTheHumidity. Nice post, as alot went into it. I'm happy to say, because of this post I was able to cancel my Football Ticket Package w/ DirectTV.:)

If you nail this 100%, I'll buy you TWO of your favorite beers.

feelthepain said:
The Fins have an eaiser schedule, better QB and secondary improved coaching, yet their record doesn't improve, meanwhile the Pats lose talent and they improve by three games. Sure!

The Dolphins will be improved. It won't be reflected in their record though. The Patriots gained talent, merely by being reasonably healthy.

Patsfanin Philly said:
I guess I have a little too much on my hands too. Dryheat, You need to tweak it a little bit b/c as it exists now, you have two more wins than losses 257 v 255 and they have to equal out. Take one win away from a team (which becomes a loss) and it works out.
Make it Pittsburgh for conversation's sake and call it the Big Ben factor. Call me a pessimist but I don't think he's back for a long time in spite of the titanium plates. There are issues of healing and strength and couple that with a very interesting off-season and I think they're ripe for a fall commonly associated with teams that lose the Super Bowl.....(see Eagles 2005 for reference and just keep going back,Carolina Oakland, St. Louis)
Just my $0.02,

Well, I'll have to go back to the sheet and see where I erred. I would have been suprised if I didn't make a mistake. Thanks for the heads-up.

feelthepain said:

The point you are missing is Miami's 9-7 record last year was inflated because some of their wins down the stretch were played against opponents playing their JV squad. I think Miami goes 9-7 again, but it will be inprovement because they will have to earn all 9 of the wins.

ps- How much talent did the Patriots lose? A kicker? NE still has the youngest and most talented defense in the league and the best QB in the NFL. I dont think Miami makes the playoffs this year.

feelthepain said:

What dream world are you living in? The Phins didn't lose talent? What do you call Sam Madison? Chopped Liver? Please explain how you think the Phins secondary is BETTER with the loss of Madison?

The Pats lost talent, yes, but they also ADDED talent. Guys like Maroney, Jackson, Thomas and Mills. And they still have plenty of money to add a guy like Ty Law or Donnie Edwards (should he become available).

oh, I wouldn't necessarily say that the Phins schedule is EASIER than the Pats. The Phins have to face Pittsburgh, which has a much better defense than Cincy.

Well, here is how I view it.

Patriots 12-4 have homefield trough out the playoffs
Dolphins 8-8

Also, this will be the year that Jax jumps ahead of the Colts (I hope).

And, this may be a shocker to some. the Steelers finish 3rd in their division at 8-8 with Cincy and Balt ( I hate them) ahead of the steelers.

Talk to me In December, not June.

Is it just me, or does it seem that a certain teams fan base needs to have us validate their team even before the season begins. The Patriots are the best team in the AFC east(its not even close) until I see otherwise(regular season).

I thought that Colts fans were bad enough, but this group may be worse.:bricks:

In all fairness, some of the trolls have made valid points about Miami. I see no reason that they can't go 11-5 or maybe 10-6, and I see no reason that Pats can't go 13-3 or maybe 12-4.

The Pats went 10-6 which would have been 11-5, with brutal injuries and a tough schedule last year.

Miami went 9-7 last year which would have been 8-8, while clicking on all cylinders and having 2 good RBs.

There is one troll who tends to go overboard and make very vague and suspect generalizations, of course...

And after going through week by week, wouldn't you know my error was in week 17. One less win for Kansas City. Updated schedule matrix attached.

Attachments

• MATRIX.txt.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Miami went 9-7 last year which would have been 8-8, while clicking on all cylinders and having 2 good RBs.

There is one troll who tends to go overboard and make very vague and suspect generalizations, of course...

Games are won along the offensive and defensive lines. That being said, Miami's offensive line is awful and their defensive line is average at best. Throw in an old QB with diminishing mobility and its a recipe for disaster. Miami, along with Seattle, will be the two most disappointing teams in the NFL next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going on record as saying Miami has one fairy tale season with Culpepper before he is exposed. (Fairy tale meaning number two in the division, and possibly a wild card loss in the playoffs against a real team.)

dryheat44 said:
AFC East
New England 13-3 (5-1)
Miami 9-7 (4-2)
Buffalo 5-11 (2-4)
New York 4-12 (1-5)

AFC North
Cincinnati 11-5 (5-1)
Pittsburgh 10-6 (3-3)
Baltimore 9-7 (2-4)
Cleveland 6-10 (2-4)

AFC South
Indianapolis 11-5 (5-1)
Jacksonville 10-6 (3-3)
Houston 5-11 (2-4)
Tennessee 4-12 (2-4)

AFC West
Denver 11-5 (5-1)
San Diego 11-5 (3-3)
Kansas City 10-6 (3-3)
Oakland 6-10 (1-5)

NFC East
Philadelphia 11-5 (3-3)
Dallas 10-6 (3-3)
Washington 10-6 (3-3)
New York 8-8 (3-3)

NFC North
Chicago 11-5 (5-1)
Detroit 7-9 (5-1)
Green Bay 5-11 (1-5)
Minnesota 4-12 (1-5)

NFC South
Carolina 13-3 (4-2)
Tampa Bay 7-9 (4-2)
Atlanta 5-11 (2-4)
New Orleans 4-12 (2-4)

NFC West
Arizona 10-6 (4-2)
Seattle 9-7 (5-1)
St. Louis 5-11 (2-4)
San Francisco 3-13 (1-5)

You're Welcome.

Nice work! I must say that I'm surprised to see that you have both Super Bowl teams missing the playoffs, Philly winning the NFC East (who's gonna catch the ball? who's their RB) , and both KC (Herm is their coach!) & Baltimore (Billick is their coach!) with winning records.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
In all fairness, some of the trolls have made valid points about Miami. I see no reason that they can't go 11-5 or maybe 10-6, and I see no reason that Pats can't go 13-3 or maybe 12-4.

The Pats went 10-6 which would have been 11-5, with brutal injuries and a tough schedule last year.

Miami went 9-7 while kicking on all cylinders??? And you call us trolls. Good grief, are you kidding me??? One game during that "easy 6 game winning streak" Sage was the QB and Chris Chambers had a 200+ yrd game in a 21 point comeback win. We also beat the Chargers and 3 division rivals in that 6 game streak. One minute you tell us we have no talent and we couldn't possibly compete with the Pats, the next we are kicking on all cylinders. I also love how you knock DC, he will be exposed by the Pats...god you're a homer.

We started 2 rookies at key positions and a backup QB and sometimes 3rd string all year, Sam Madison was great in his prime, but he's long past his prime. So we had an old slow corner on one side and a rookie on the other. Playing a second string and sometimes third string QB all year and a rookie RB. Miami also went undefeated in December something we haven't done since the early 80's. Seems to me Miami's 6 game winning streak was full of obstacles and they met them all. It's what happens when a team starts to believe in what the coach is preaching.

Think back to when the Pats started to turn the corner, did they play every single top 10 team on their way to their championships?? Did they do it with a superstar at every position?? Did they play rookies and and veterans FA's with loads of question marks? Did they start out on their first SB winning season with a proven SB winning HC and QB?? They had to evolve and it all happens one game at a time. The Fins are evolving and getting better, it's just the way it is.

feelthepain said:
Miami went 9-7 while kicking on all cylinders??? And you call us trolls. Good grief, are you kidding me??? One game during that "easy 6 game winning streak" Sage was the QB and Chris Chambers had a 200+ yrd game in a 21 point comeback win. We also beat the Chargers and 3 division rivals in that 6 game streak. One minute you tell us we have no talent and we couldn't possibly compete with the Pats, the next we are kicking on all cylinders. I also love how you knock DC, he will be exposed by the Pats...god you're a homer.

We started 2 rookies at key positions and a backup QB and sometimes 3rd string all year, Sam Madison was great in his prime, but he's long past his prime. So we had an old slow corner on one side and a rookie on the other. Playing a second string and sometimes third string QB all year and a rookie RB. Miami also went undefeated in December something we haven't done since the early 80's. Seems to me Miami's 6 game winning streak was full of obstacles and they met them all. It's what happens when a team starts to believe in what the coach is preaching.

Think back to when the Pats started to turn the corner, did they play every single top 10 team on their way to their championships?? Did they do it with a superstar at every position?? Did they play rookies and and veterans FA's with loads of question marks? Did they start out on their first SB winning season with a proven SB winning HC and QB?? They had to evolve and it all happens one game at a time. The Fins are evolving and getting better, it's just the way it is.

Dude -
Sam Madison was still your best defensive back last year. The fact that you think that he was old and slow shows you really don't know what you are talking about.

Also, during that "6 game streak" the Pats GAVE the Fins a game (one they almost lost) when the Pats pulled their starters after 1 quarter (if it was even that long).

DaBruinz said:
Dude -
Sam Madison was still your best defensive back last year. The fact that you think that he was old and slow shows you really don't know what you are talking about.

Also, during that "6 game streak" the Pats GAVE the Fins a game (one they almost lost) when the Pats pulled their starters after 1 quarter (if it was even that long).

Just stop it, Sam Has been steadily declining for a couple of years now. He can't tackle and he doesn't fit into what Saban wants to do. BTW was Sam a probowler last year?? How about the year before that?? Or the year before that?? Sam was a very good CB in his prime, nothing more certainly not elite. It's funny, you tell me I don't know about a guy I've watched since the day he was drafted. Sam is no longer a fin because he's slow and a poor tackler.

As for the last game against the Pats, you don't know if the score would have been any different had the starters played, because you're not psychic. Miami plays the Pats tough and the Pats play the fins tough. It's the way it is.
It's a division game. No matter who starts in NE, they still no the fins tendencies. Did you ever stop to think Miami would have played harder had the Pats played their starters?? Don't you think it was a bit of a mental letdown by the fins when the Pats pulled their starters?? I think that has some effect on the effort given by the fins.

Speak of the troll!

Okay, let's see:

1) You are be definition, a troll. Not by my creation, but by the fact that you show up on a Pats site as a non-Pats fan. There are good trolls and then there are annoying trolls, of course.

2) I don't think I said "easy" 6 game win streak, except the game against the Pats 3rd string, of course. The 'clicking on all cylinders' does not seem all that different from your 'meeting obstacles', that's the teamwork it takes to win any game in this league.

3) I didn't say you have no talent. On the other thread were you ****ed out of backing up your position on 15 QBs doing what Brady did, I told you that Miami has at the very least had a statistically better average Defense and running game then the Pats 2001-2005. I also think you have WR and TE talent which probably could hang with some of the guys we used to win superbowls, like Dave Patten, ect. That was why I concluded that Brady could very well have brought a ring to Miami by now.

What I said was your talent at pass rushing and corner coverage is declining, and this was your bread and butter for beating Brady. You covered his scrub recievers and hit Brady a lot. I'm not so sure that continues. Brady's offense is on the upswing and your defense appears to be treading water at best, overall.

4) I don't knock Culpepper by suggesting he will go to the Pro Bowl, do I? I have watched this guy from day one of his career, and he chokes whenever he is called upon to step up. I didn't invent the ups and downs of his career, like the times he was benched and booed relentlessly in his home stadium. I just haven't seen him do much when the game is on the line.

As far as Culpepper's offense being exposed, if you want to bet against Belichick finding a way to shut down Culpepper the same way that scrub defenses in the NFC North often did, than that's your call. If you know anything about Belichick's history, you will realize that he is often burned once and, statistically, never burned twice.

5) I am a Homer, and so are you. What's your point, Mr. Troll?

6) I have gone out of my way on multiple threads now to agree that Miami improves with Culpepper, but he has not yet showed what it takes to win playoff games, let alone a superbowl.

The Pats HC and QB may not have proven to be superbowl winners in 2001, but I fail to see your big point here. They now have three, and I am banking on five before it is all said and done. I suppose you didn't know that those Giants superbowls were won mainly on Defense. Or that Parcells stayed the hell out of Belichick's way, when it came to defense.

feelthepain, this was a very interesting thread before you took it over to talk about Miami. To be honest, I'm not that interested in Miami -- if you want to talk about Miami, could you go over to the Interleague Forum, please?

Ian?

IMO, the Titans are the worst team in the NFL.

They have a dysfunctional FO, a suspect O-line, a suspect QB, overpaid for Givens, and a spotty defense. Moreover, they have a brutal schedule. If they lose at home to the Jets on week# 1, they're all but a lock to go 0-6 at the bye. After the bye, they have home games against the Texans, Ravens, Giants, Colts, Jags, and Pats and road games at Jags, at Philly, at Houston, at Buffalo.

Sep 10 N.Y. Jets 1:00pm
Sep 17 @San Diego 4:15pm
Sep 24 @Miami 1:00pm
Oct 1 Dallas 1:00pm
Oct 8 @Indianapolis 1:00pm
Oct 15 @Washington 1:00pm
Week 7 BYE
Oct 29 Houston 1:00pm
Nov 5 @Jacksonville 1:00pm
Nov 12 Baltimore 1:00pm
Nov 19 @Philadelphia 1:00pm
Nov 26 N.Y. Giants 1:00pm
Dec 3 Indianapolis 1:00pm
Dec 10 @Houston 1:00pm
Dec 17 Jacksonville 1:00pm
Dec 24 @Buffalo 1:00pm
Dec 31 New England 1:00pm

Their best chance for wins are WK# 1 (Jets) and WK# 8 (Texans), both home games.

From looking at the Titans scheduled time slots, it appears that the league has abandoned its mandate for having every team featured in a primetime game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft