PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fess up, people at the stadium, were you among those that left early?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, when they took a knee on the kick the first thing I said was, "Dumb coaching", should have run it out to get some time off the clock. As for leaving early, I never really understood that mentality (other than maybe visting fans, or someone with really young kids). We stayed right to the end and watched everyone running back up the ramps. The only time I ever leave my seat early (we're in the 300's) might be a late night blow-out when they're just running the clock out. Even then I'm still in the stadium, usually watching from the 1st level when the clock strikes 0:00.

I understand the argument to run the ball out of the endzone prior to the two minute warning, but don't necessarily agree that it would've been a good decision. Personally, it looked like the returner made the right choice because he initially hesitated. Even without the hesitation, taking the knee eliminated any chance of a potential fumble during the return and guaranteed that the team would get the ball on at least the 20yd line. If the returner had run out of the endzone and fumbled, people would be asking why didn't he just take a knee. Same as if he returned the kick and only got to the 10yd line. At that point a few yds (or a turnover) could've still made a big difference as the Patriots still had two timeouts and could've had a very short field if they forced a three and out.

The TV broadcast showed people leaving on the bridge and then running back once Spikes caused the fumble and Wilfork recovered.

The one thing that I didn't like about that, or the fact the bspn decided to replay that scene hourly on SportsCenter, was that they were implying (in my opinion) that the phenomenon of some fans leaving a game early is something that is extremely rare and unimaginable; in reality I am sure it happens to some degree at every stadium for every sporting event.

While I personally agree with others that it doesn't make much sense to spend a ton of money for a game and then miss the end (or beginning), there are a few other possible factors to consider. One, a lot of sporting event tickets are giveaways - perks for best sales, raffles for employees, thank yous to good customers, etc. For these people there is no money at stake - and for many of them they may not necessarily be huge fans of the team. Second, the game was a clunker; some fans are going to be so upset with a poor performance they don't want to witness any more. Third. the traffic out of Foxboro is horrible; you can't compare what it's like leaving there to other stadiums (and therefore can't accurately compare 'fan loyalty' based on that video clip).

I understand the argument to run the ball out of the endzone prior to the two minute warning, but don't necessarily agree that it would've been a good decision. Personally, it looked like the returner made the right choice because he initially hesitated. Even without the hesitation, taking the knee eliminated any chance of a potential fumble during the return and guaranteed that the team would get the ball on at least the 20yd line. If the returner had run out of the endzone and fumbled, people would be asking why didn't he just take a knee. Same as if he returned the kick and only got to the 10yd line. At that point a few yds (or a turnover) could've still made a big difference as the Patriots still had two timeouts and could've had a very short field if they forced a three and out.

The options would seem to be:

1) take a knee and avoid the possibility of a fumble (maybe a 5% chance?)
2) don't take a knee and there is a 100% chance you shorten the game by at least 25 seconds by running the clock to the 2 minute warning.

IMO the slight risk in choosing #2 is totally overwhelmed by the sure reward.

Yesterday I was upset about what I heard on my TV in the first half of a very close game, fans booing the Patriots offense (not he scab refs). I said those people sounded like spoiled cry babies.

There was a lot of booing at halftime because the crowd was pi$$ed that the Patriots punted the ball from the 50 with less than 10 seconds left instead of throwing a Hail Mary. That's what I heard from where I was sitting. I was definitely unhappy at this decision.

I stayed till the end. People were leaving then we recovered the fumble then people started to run back to their seats!! Might I add that getting out of the parking stinks!!

I can't comprehend why people leave a sporting event early given how much it costs to go.

I have no problem with fans who paid good money deciding that they would rather not spend an extra hour sitting in traffic by getting a 2 minute jump.

Any football fan knows that anything can happen on any given play. So even leaving 10 seconds early you run the risk of missing the winning play.

That being said, what percentage of plays result in a turnover?

5%? Less?

So I'm not going to demonize any demoralized fan for lacking faith that the 5% chance of a turnover wasn't going to happen.

Well, I wasn't at the game. But with about 2:00 left, I fully admit I was halfway from my chair the the fridge.

left early after the missed 2pt conversion...didn't want to watch that **** show any longer. Still glad i left early with how it ended up finishing

Last edited:
Funny because the camra on TV caught couple guys running back with their stuff dropping on the ladder part of the stadium, me and my body were busted out laughing. Again I hate the boos, try be a cowboys or browns fan for couple years and you will never boo the pats right now!

The Dallas fan that I was sitting next to at the bar (that lost a lot of money on this game in his suicide pool) said "well, there goes the Red Sox fans".

Quoted for truth.

Generally, I keep watching the game until the Pats are down by 17 or more (which obviously can and will be overcome as proven twice last season). I stopped watching yesterday after Williams got a first down. I thought they could just kneel it out and end the game, but I was wrong...not that it mattered toward the outcome.

I never leave early. Only a handful of times (usually close games) can you get out and on the road quickly. And even then, you've got to almost run past everyone else who has the same idea, and also have a little luck with the parking space and traffic. I just accept that leaving the Razor is all about either waiting in the car for 2 hours or having a postgame tailgate.

I stayed in 40 degree rain for that ****fest against the Steelers in 2008. I fully admit that I was hoping to get to move down closer, and I wasn't disappointed. Everyone had cleared out by the 5 minute mark and I watched the rest of the game from the front row (we have seats in Section 128).

I never leave early. Only a handful of times (usually close games) can you get out and on the road quickly. And even then, you've got to almost run past everyone else who has the same idea, and also have a little luck with the parking space and traffic. I just accept that leaving the Razor is all about either waiting in the car for 2 hours or having a postgame tailgate.

I stayed in 40 degree rain for that ****fest against the Steelers in 2008. I fully admit that I was hoping to get to move down closer, and I wasn't disappointed. Everyone had cleared out by the 5 minute mark and I watched the rest of the game from the front row (we have seats in Section 128).

We park 3/4 mile down on RT 1. Even if we leave at end of game..30 min walk back...and no traffic. never sat in traffic for more than 25 min before when leaving out normal lot

Last edited:
there's a really simple solution that will make it a no brainer for people to stay. Add 6 more lanes to route 1 and make immediate access to the highway. Sitting in traffic after a ****ty loss is not fun.

there's a really simple solution that will make it a no brainer for people to stay. Add 6 more lanes to route 1 and make immediate access to the highway. Sitting in traffic after a ****ty loss is not fun.

who's gonna pay for that?

That was a disgrace, to see people heading for the exits with time on the clock, the two minute warning, and I think 2 TOs.

Then we get a fumble recovery.

Then Woodhead runs it in, but it gets called back.

Then we set up for not a sure thing but probably a 75% chance field goal.

Stay to the end, people!

The way TFB was dancing in the pocket i didnt know if i was at "So you think you can dance" or a football game. It was gross watching him in the pocket all jittery. Didnt leave tho cause our beers werent gone and we never leave early. Our defense is fast and 54 and 95 are the real deal.

you know how many millions that would cost? Not going to happen It's at 3 lanes as it is

I have no problem with fans who paid good money deciding that they would rather not spend an extra hour sitting in traffic by getting a 2 minute jump.
After the game we went to the Pro Shop, then stopped at Skipjacks after. The food always looked so good on Quick Slants. Waited less than 5 min for a table, had something to eat (kinda pricy...) and by the time we were done, had no trouble getting out of the parking lot.

Nope. All but a few dummies around me stayed to the bitter end. Of course, we all thought it was NOT going to be bitter once Big Vince fell on that fumble!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back