PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger:This defense cant stop anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. Check the linebacker coverage thread for a good analysis of defense. This is a negative panic thread about a crap writer who is a sensational gossip columnist who says a young, injury riddled team that has defeated the best football has to offer, can't stop anyone.

It's a stupid statement by a worthless talk show host.

Ok, so you didn't bother reading the article, and you never actually paid attention to any responses before just posting your comments.

Got it.

Last edited:
Hmm...was the lack of an adjective after "very" just some clever sarcasm? If yes, I approve. If not, I'm confused.

aah, don't waste your time being confused because that poster assumes that the rest of the fans are already confused living in our fantasy world - as borne out by the last line that suggests you 'are' - guess that is a 'have' - "zero grasp of reality" and are "clueless, or just enjoy being miserable" :D

btw, get ready for some preaching of "situational football" by the only fan who knows exactly what BB talks about. ;)

PS: hope that poster doesn't call you something worse than a buffoon. :)

Ok, so you didn't bother reading the article, and you never actually paid attention to any responses before just posting your comments.

Got it.

It's that side of the ball that deserves to be criticized and held to the fire...[No it doesn't. Every team wishes their defense performed to the maximum of their ability, followed the game plan and hustled like ours does. Rookies and injuries and no excuses. It's great to get stats, you can use them on message boards. results cause you to have to play extra games]

I don't know if you can expect much more out of it than what we're currently getting, which is the occasional turnover and not much else. [Oh really? That sounds like a cellar dweller. I'd say those turnovers have been quite more than occasional mistakes, but i'm not the great Felger]

But let's face facts. The Patriots defense isn't very good right now. [Only good enough to be 9-2. surprising that doesn't seem to be the criteria, wins. Only time the word "win" is in this article is in the bonehead phrase"defense no longer wins championships"]

It doesn't matter if it's Peyton Manning or Shaun Hill, you can throw on the Patriots. And there are times you can run on them, too. [wow, what insight. The words "win" "score" and "touchdown" never appear, as in prevented one. QBs sometimes throw, RBs sometimes run. this must be stopped!]

The Lions did both to the Pats on Thursday. They had their way with New England [The Lions won 24-45 scoring a devastating 7 points in the second half. I guess by that measure, Finnegan "had his way" with Johnson].

No, it wasn't just about those fantasy stats. It was about how the offense delivered situationally. [So only the offense gets credit for coming through situationally. ]

They got the ball early in the third quarter after Devin McCourty's first interception, trailing by seven, and they scored a touchdown. [this is the great offense delivering situationally!! Which the defense, of course doesn't do. they just get occasional turnovers. apparently they get them for Halloween and Thanksgiving. Maybe they'll get one for Christmas, but they don't really count, they're gifts].

Forty-five points on the board. You kids on defense can check back in with us later. [7 points allowed 2nd half. second half would be situational, no? Like the second halfs the offense struggled in earlier?]

The point is that this is a different era in the NFL. Defense no longer wins championships. [shows what a pumpkin head this guy is. Why not ask Tuck and Strahan about that, only 3 seasons ago?]

Not since Shank the CHB have I read such fine journalism!!

Last edited:
Which all gets back to the heart of the article from the original post - we CAN win with this defense, even if it is not great, particularly if it continues its opportunistic play.

That's all I'm saying. Our offense obviously is deeper and more advanced. that's not a reason to dump on the defense, which is what Felger does. Obviously, if our offense scored 10 points a game, we'd need to play a riskier style of D and probably be less successful.

Our defense and offense play together game plan wise.

Ah excellent; this guarantees that the Patriots shutdown the Jets ...

When Felger says you can bank on it he is usually right; you can bank on the opposite of what he predicts.

What did I say? Felger's is almost perfect....perfectly wrong... This is great; he is almost as bad as Borges.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you Felger. The Patriots defense has allows 10 points total since you penned these words.

Felger is almost as wrong on everything as Borges. 11-2 and can't stop anyone. Tops in the league in TO differential and can't stop anyone. Who cares? The defense only has to hold opponents under 31 per game and the Pats win. Next week, the defense has to hold a team that scored 17 - 16 - 3 in their last three games under 31 at home. Possible? Yes. Definite? Probably.

Felger is almost as wrong on everything as Borges. 11-2 and can't stop anyone. Tops in the league in TO differential and can't stop anyone. Who cares? The defense only has to hold opponents under 31 per game and the Pats win. Next week, the defense has to hold a team that scored 17 - 16 - 3 in their last three games under 31 at home. Possible? Yes. Definite? Probably.

Greenbay's offense is good i wouldn't disrespect them too much... but without Aaron Rogers it will be a tough game for them... would have really liked to see how our young D would go against another Elite QB

Also how our OL will stand up against a good tough defense

Give Felger credit, he isn't just wrong, he's consistently wrong. And consistency counts for a lot.

It's worth noting since he wrote this column, the defense has given up 40 points over 4 games, or an average of 10 points a game. That's skewed by the lackluster performance against GB where they gave up 27 points. In 3 of 4 games, they have totally dominated the other team, holding them to one score per game. During this streak, they beat two division leaders, a division opponent at their place, and another play-off contender.

If anyone is close with Felger, please get him to write a column about why this team won't win the Super Bowl this season. That will all but guarantee Super Bowl #4 for this franchise.

He was right at the time, though.

And he was dead on about Moss.

He can be annoying as hell, but I think he's got a lot to crow about this year. And he's called the playoffs from the start: Pats' biggest challenge will be the Colts, if it goes that far.

JMHO. :D

This defense will definetly have to take it to another level come the playoffs.I expect teams to try and keep the ball away from our offense.They will need to force some 3 and outs.

He can be annoying as hell, but I think he's got a lot to crow about this year. And he's called the playoffs from the start: Pats' biggest challenge will be the Colts, if it goes that far.

I don't see how he was right at the time. His argument was that this D couldn't stop anyone. But they shut down Miami in week 4. With the game on the line, they shut down Baltimore throughout the 4th quarter and several drives in OT in week 6. They dominated Pittsburgh for 3 quarters before relaxing a bit. And the game that inspired the column, they shut down the Lions right after halftime.

I mean, Felger just saw the defense get thrashed in the first half, then come out and clamp down in the second half, then writes this column. What the heck is that?

No he wasn't right about the defense at the time. They had just beaten the Colts and the Steelers, and in both games, they had taken huge leads then gone to a soft defense to force both teams to spend time to score. In both cases it worked, although it was a little more exciting in the Colts game.

This was as idiotic as Borges' column about how awful Zoltan was punting, when he just looked at total yards, rather than the fact he was downing most of his punts inside the 20.

Morons shouldn't be allowed to be sports writers, or copiers in Borges' case. I don't read them, don't follow them, and understand that they are idiots. You should too.

Felger screams at the rain. Always has. Always will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News