PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Felger: Start BenJarvus Green Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've completely misread what I said, but it doesn't really even matter, since we seem to pretty much agree- Maroney's a good back who has had a tough time getting on track this year.

That's cool sorry for poor reading comprehension, hopefully this will be his week. I am from Maine so it is to be expected.

Last edited:
That's cool sorry for poor reading comprehension, hopefully this will be his week. I am from Maine so it is to be expected.

Hahah, same here- raised in Fryeburg.

Re: Felger: Start Ben Jarvis Green Ellis

If people expected Maroney to be Corey Dillon 2.0, then that's their problem. He wasn't drafted to be that, and he was never going to be that. From day one, Maroney has been part of a running back committee. I can't read Belichick's mind, but I think the reason why is pretty obvious: because he saw what 2004 did to Corey Dillon. There's a reason why the feature RB has gone the way of the dinosaur, and there's a reason why the few teams that still rely on a feature RB tend to do all of jack**** once the playoffs roll around. In the modern NFL, RBs can't absorb that kind of punishment over the course of a full season. Defenders are too big, the game is too fast, and the hits are too hard.

Seriously, when's the last time that a team won a SB on the strength of an offense that was driven by one workhorse RB? You could maybe make a case for 2004 with Dillon (and, as I mentioned before, that came at great cost to Dillon and, therefore the team over the next couple years), but other than that you're going back to 1998. Teams that rely on one RB to the extent that you guys want to see Maroney used have one thing in common- those RBs get hurt, the offense stalls, and they go out with a whimper in the playoffs. Don't believe me? Go look at the list of the top rushers in the NFL in each of the last few years, and let's talk about how their teams did once the playoffs rolled around, and they suddenly found that their top weapon was a shell of himself.

The standard that you guys are holding Maroney to is one that very, very few RBs achieve in the modern NFL. In fact, if you go back through all of the first-round RBs picked in the last 5 years, *most* of them will be busts by the standards that you've set up for Maroney, and a lot of those guys were picked 10-15 spots ahead of him. Let me know next time a team with a 1500 yard rusher wins a SB- I'm pretty sure that it won't be happening for a long, long time.

Dillon got a high ankle sprain, every other running back was injured, so he played against Buffalo, we won and continued when he should have been in a cast probably.

That was 2005 (for the record).

No matter how many carries Maroney has, if he can establish an ability to run up the gut once in a while, he'll have a great NFL career.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes