PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre's record in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Seems to me that the Jets fans are ecstatic that they have a QB who can give them more than 4 wins this season. They're correct, Favre can certainly help them there.

But seems to me that if Jets fans have any self-respect they'd acknowledge that anything less than a Super Bowl victory falls well short of their goal.

So let's take a look at Favre's record in the playoffs. Since Mike Holmgren left the team - coinicidentally or not the last time Favre was in the Super Bowl, how has Favre done in the playoffs?

Well, not so good it turns out.

He's 3-6 ... three wins, six losses since 1998

Of course Jets fans will point out correctly that Favre's not a one man team, and indeed he's not. But let's look at his performance over that time.

Does 18 interceptions in those games strike anyone as a bit high? And seeing that Favre's not about to change his style of play just a few months shy of his 39th birthday, is there any reason to think that his performance in the playoffs will change?

So count me among those pulling for the Jets to make the playoffs. I'm going to enjoy watching another round of INTs end a Jets season just like it has for the Packers.

Seems to me that the GM and Coach of the Packers know Favre a lot better than anyone on the Jets, and they decided that while Favre can get them to the playoffs, moving them forward in the playoffs is another matter, and its time for a change.

For the Jets, a 39 year old QB with 18 playoff INTs in recent years is a MAJOR upgrade, and the loss of a third, second or 1st round picks is no loss for a team that doesn't know how to draft - but I wouldn't be popping the champagne just yet if I were them.

I don't disagree with the purpose of this post. Favre hasn't been very impressive in the postseason. I do disagree with this premise though:

But seems to me that if Jets fans have any self-respect they'd acknowledge that anything less than a Super Bowl victory falls well short of their goal.

I think that's crazy. In a division with NE and a league with NE, Indy, and SD, making the superbowl would be a huge accomplishment. Winning the division would be huge.

(personally I don't give the Jets a chance in hell of accomplishing either of those. that right there tells me how big it would be.)

IMO 31 teams aren't a failure every year.

Last edited:
I love Favre, partly because he is so reckless. With the risks come awful negatives, but the times when they actually work, it is just fun to watch. He's the opposite of Brady in his style. It will be fun to see the Super Bowl that wasn't last year, Favre versus Brady.

I don't disagree with the purpose of this post. Favre hasn't been very impressive in the postseason. I do disagree with this premise though:

I think that's crazy. In a division with NE and a league with NE, Indy, and SD, making the superbowl would be a huge accomplishment. Winning the division would be huge.

(personally I don't give the Jets a chance in hell of accomplishing either of those. that right there tells me how big it would be.)

IMO 31 teams aren't a failure every year.

I guess this just shows how spoiled we as Patsfans are. The Goal is a Super Bowl victory every season.

I think the New England Patriots players feel the same way.

That's not to say there's no entertainment value from being a playoff contender or making the playoffs - its just that failing to achieve your goals is, well, a failure.

I certainly understand, given the Jets history over the last 30 years, that they don't view winning the Super Bowl as a realistic goal and have lower expectations. But I'd think many of them would admit that just making the playoffs is not good enough.

Last edited:
For the Jets, I think they would consider the season a success if they made the playoffs.

Not every team is like NE and has a superstar QB in his prime with one of the best WRs ever.

A few Favre stats to ponder, while NYJ fans and Skip Bayless now assume the Jets will win the AFC East.

- Over the last five seasons, Favre has thrown 100 interceptions.
- Adding in fumbles, Favre has turned the ball over 127 times in that span.
- In the last three seasons, Favre has 67 total TD and 81 turnovers.
- In the last four seasons that Green Bay had a home playoff game, Favre and the Packers lost three times.
- In the last nine playoff games, Favre's QB rating has been under 83 nine times.
- Favre has 14 TD and 16 INT in playoff games this millenium.

Another thought to consider is how Favre looked to be very uncomfortable in some cold weather games last year, a regular season game at Chicago and the NFCCG against the Giants. How will he react to the weather in games played in November and December this season?

Regular season stats
Playoff stats

A few Favre stats to ponder, while NYJ fans and Skip Bayless now assume the Jets will win the AFC East.

- Over the last five seasons, Favre has thrown 100 interceptions.
- Adding in fumbles, Favre has turned the ball over 127 times in that span.
- In the last three seasons, Favre has 67 total TD and 81 turnovers.
- In the last four seasons that Green Bay had a home playoff game, Favre and the Packers lost three times.
- In the last nine playoff games, Favre's QB rating has been under 83 nine times.
- Favre has 14 TD and 16 INT in playoff games this millenium.

Another thought to consider is how Favre looked to be very uncomfortable in some cold weather games last year, a regular season game at Chicago and the NFCCG against the Giants. How will he react to the weather in games played in November and December this season?

Regular season stats
Playoff stats

So basically what it comes down to is the Packers are an organization that isn't content to just make it to the playoffs and lose, finally cutting their ties with Favre out of frustration with his 18 INTs in the playoffs alone.

But the Jets apparently are content with this as it represents a significant improvement.

That's seems reasonable and accurate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes