PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Favre takes Jets from decent to dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the ability to draft a solid quarterback. Great quarterbacks at a young age and relatively injury free are seldom if ever available through free agency. This means you have to be a position to draft one. You guys won't be. Then, Favre retires after this year or at least puts you guys in the same position he put the Packers. After that, you guys revert back to the 4-12 ways. This time, you're in the position, but after a couple of the experiments elsewhere on the team fail, the Jets are put in the position to fill those holes. If that doesn't happen, let's say you do draft a quarterback. He needs at least 2-3 years to pan out in the NFL and become a decent-elite quarterback. It's very rare to find a QB coming right out of the draft that will be successful in this league. So, yes, I'm guessing a five year setback of the franchise.

And, like someone else said, do you guys honestly think he's going to tutor your younger quarterbacks? He wouldn't do it with Rodgers, what makes you think he'll do it with Clemens?
Unless we make the SB which is worth a 1st rounder, we are going to have our first and multiple 3rds and 4ths to get back into the 2nd rd if we wanted to take a QB. You cant set a franchise back at QB that has no QB to begin with is my only point. Anyone but Clemens would fall into the set the franchise back label. Our QB of the future is not on this team so what harm does a 3rd, 2nd or 1st do for Brett. Especially when giving up the first means you made the SB.

Last edited:
I am so loving this. Two young fast linebackers and an unleashed A.D.

It's too bad the new DBs can't take baseball gloves, like kids at Fenway.

With all those wild tosses under pressure, everybody gets to play center field.

Oh yes and we'll gladly take Penny for a backup!

I never did but someone has to really be reaching to say it sets them back 5 years. Mike Vick set the Falcons back five years, this wont. I also could beat your situation and say well what if we traded a 1st and more for Brady Quinn, your response?

If he couldn't beat out Anderson what makes you think he could beat out your third stringer...and then you loose your "first and more" with an aging, veteran pieced together OLine that will be needing to be replaced via the draft as he undertakes to learn his second system (as perhaps the team is learning a new one too - on both sides of the ball - in the wake of Mangini being kicked to the curb...).

In many ways you remind me of Aqua... He too admired the Patriots but was sure it was just that we were unabashed homers that made it impossible for us to see how the Culpepper trade didn't make them instant contenders to be reconned with... After all Pep won an MVP and was a pro bowler who passed for thousands of yards and on and on...

AD vs DBrick,

Vrabel vs Woody,

Ty vs ???

Fun Times. :rofl:

If he couldn't beat out Anderson what makes you think he could beat out your third stringer...and then you loose your "first and more" with an aging, veteran pieced together OLine that will be needing to be replaced via the draft as he undertakes to learn his second system (as perhaps the team is learning a new one too - on both sides of the ball - in the wake of Mangini being kicked to the curb...).

In many ways you remind me of Aqua... He too admired the Patriots but was sure it was just that we were unabashed homers that made it impossible for us to see how the Culpepper trade didn't make them instant contenders to be reconned with... After all Pep won an MVP and was a pro bowler who passed for thousands of yards and on and on...

I said the Favre trade makes us a team with an upside of a dangerous wild card team, thats no homerism thats reality.

As for the Quinn point. He was late into camp last year and was a rookie. The Browns said before hand they would take their time with him. If Anderson stunk it up early Quinn would have got playing time. The Jets dont have a veteran based o-line needing replacing next year. 3 members are under 30, 2 under 25 and four members of the o-line should be together for at least the next 3 yrs. I have no grasp on Woody one way or another so I just leave that as a ? but he is an upgrade over turnstyle Clement.

Last edited:
Unless we make the SB which is worth a 1st rounder, we are going to have our first and multiple 3rds and 4ths to get back into the 2nd rd if we wanted to take a QB. You cant set a franchise back at QB that has no QB to begin with is my only point. Anyone but Clemens would fall into the set the franchise back label. Our QB of the future is not on this team so what harm does a 3rd, 2nd or 1st do for Brett. Especially when giving up the first means you made the SB.

Good luck finding the future in the 2nd in 2009 anyway. The early projections indicate there will be a bare cupboard as far as QB's are concerned. That is one reason BB drafted O'Connell this year.

You had a QB. Not a perfect one by any means but one who won for you pretty consistently when you could keep him upright. And didn't abuse him by rushing him back for selfish reasons surrounded with something less than abject suckitude across the board, which is what you had last season.

Pennington has long been the fall guy on a team in a city that has to have one lest they turn on their coaches, GM's and ownership - which is where the fault truly lies. Woody the wannabe makes consistently bad decisions for all the wrong reasons. That's why eight years ago BB wanted nothing to do with being HC of the NYJ...

Good luck finding the future in the 2nd in 2009 anyway. The early projections indicate there will be a bare cupboard as far as QB's are concerned. That is one reason BB drafted O'Connell this year.

You had a QB. Not a perfect one by any means but one who won for you pretty consistently when you could keep him upright. And didn't abuse him by rushing him back for selfish reasons surrounded with something less than abject suckitude across the board, which is what you had last season.

Pennington has long been the fall guy on a team in a city that has to have one lest they turn on their coaches, GM's and ownership - which is where the fault truly lies. Woody the wannabe makes consistently bad decisions for all the wrong reasons. That's why eight years ago BB wanted nothing to do with being HC of the NYJ...

couple things
-BB never wanted to be head coach of the JEts b/c he had no clue who the owner would be and it was rumored to be James Dolan. That would scare me to

-If the Jets have no first rounder next year that means they were in SB 43 so thats fine in my book. Anyway you spin it we either made the SB w/ Brett and have no first or made the playoffs and still have a 1 st 2 3rds and 2 4th's to deal with.

-I wont touch Pennington, he is a mediocre NFL QB who is overrated b/c he is a great guy, hard worker, and is the average Joe's type of hero. I would never wish injury upon Brady but I would love for you to have him for one year as your starter where every game you were playing with a 30 yd field. To be honest, when we traded for Brett the first thing I thought was, no more CPF!

Last edited:

Eh, we disagree on philosophies. I believe you guys should build for the future, you believe you guys should build for now. We'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

the scariest part about that article is the eli manning reebok ad on the side.

i still cant take that face seriously.

the scariest part about that article is the eli manning reebok ad on the side.

i still cant take that face seriously.

What about this face?

giants-eli-manning-paris-hilton.jpg

Jets from decent to dangerous??

Please.
The Jets managed to win four games last season.
They may edge into decent this season...and it's not really all about Favre.
Of course, Mangenius is close to pumping gas at the Citgo down the street if he don't live up to the name...and quick.

I'm not to worried about the Pets next season either. Sure they spent a lot of money and now they have Brett Favre, but what are you going to get with him? 2006 Favre or 2007 Favre? Thery're about 3 games better this season than last year. Let's see what Eric "Mangenious" :rolleyes: does with this upgraded roster.

As Jets were 4-12 (and same coaching staff & system), they need to be MUCH better than last year to sniff the playoffs. Remember that 10-6 last year was NOT good enough to make wild card (see - CLEVELAND).

Yes, Jets got some high priced free agents on the downsides of their careers (Mangini didn't learn very well from Pioli/ Belicheck). But don't forget Jets also LOST some players: J. Vilma, D.Robertson, Victor Hobson, Erik Coleman - so their defensive replacements have to learn & execute 3-4. (how is that working out Gholston?).

Still there are some (albeit old) personal upgrades which should give them at least a likely chance at a 8-8 season (considering a weak schedule). What does that do though except give you a moral victory and mid- round draft picks in 2009. So the team can claim it is 'heading in the right direction' with aging high priced veterans .

Only way this aquisition makes sense is IF Farve puts them 'over the top' and into playoffs where anything can happen (see - Steelers of 2006 / Giants of 2007).

I think Farve can put them into playoffs IF...

IF he picks up playbook quickly (whole new terminology)
IF he buys into coaching staffs offensive system (not revert to gunslinger ways)
IF he quickly gets into synch with his new receivers
IF he will become a film room junkie and learn about AFC conference defenses
IF he doesnt toxify locker room with his 'me first' attitude
IF the other members of the team can handle the increased media scrutiny
IF his fellow teamates who supported Pennington rally around Farve

and probably about 5-9 other IF's that I can't even fathom not ever having been an NFL player let alone starting QB which is supposed to be a team leader.

That is alot of IF's. Short term gain - potentially yes (but are they that close to 'going over the top'). Long term big risk as you just threw your long-time starter Pennington under a bus and have shown no vote of confidence in your 2nd round draft pick Clemmens - thereby delaying one more year his development. (and has been posted earlier - Farve doesn't have best record of helping underlings).

As a Pats fan I love this trade as it gives the rivalry more interest and will keep the Pats players 'sharp and frosty'. Also I think a few more wins this year (but no playoffs frankly) will cost the Jets a 3rd round pick and lower picking order in 2009 draft and (only) a moral victory for aquiring Lord Farve.

It helps Pats as (said in earlier post) keep the media attention less on Pats and more on NYJ instead. Can't wait for the media scrutiny on NYJ the next time he decides to 'retire'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference