Fate at the Kentucky Derby

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
DslP4ef.png

4,12,13 trifecta cause why the hell not.

I have a question for horse racing fans, actually a series of questions along the same topic. I noticed all the horses lead with their left front foot with the right coming down immediately after. Is this normal for horses? Is it a left vs right handed thing? Is it an advantage since they circle to the left? Is it bred within them?

I have a question for horse racing fans, actually a series of questions along the same topic. I noticed all the horses lead with their left front foot with the right coming down immediately after. Is this normal for horses? Is it a left vs right handed thing? Is it an advantage since they circle to the left? Is it bred within them?

That's called a horse lead. All US tracks are left turns, so that's a natural result.

If it were going the opposite direction, you'd see a right lead.

That's called a horse lead. All US tracks are left turns, so that's a natural result.

If it were going the opposite direction, you'd see a right lead.

you will see them swap leads during the race. My daughter has a off track thoroughbred mare that she's converting to a hunter (does jumps). She really had to work with her to get her comfortable going to her right.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

As @PP2 and @PlanB mentioned it is a process to train the horse to lead properly.

I love horse racing and this article- while old does a nice job of explaining the process of training the horse.

http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/the-art-of-switching-leads/?_r=0

the "Tom" horses are named for Tom Benson, Saints owner and horse guy

Time for my favorite Kentucky derby story. I'll make it as short as possible.

Years ago my wife was flying home, read a magazine about the derby and saw a horse with a name that suited her perfectly. Spend a Buck.

Since I have a friend who's a bookie she asked if she could call him and make a $50 bet. I told her sure, but not to ask me for the money if she lost, which of course she did.

The next day she asked me if since I was a friend of the guy that he might not take the money. While holding back the laughter I told her I didn't know and she should give him a call.

I sat there laughing as I listened to my wife from the other room and knew exactly what my friend was saying and how he was probably stumbling around trying to explain it to her.

The next time I saw him he was all apologetic and started to explain why he couldn't just let it slide. I got a chuckle out of that too and informed him that I had set the both of them up just for laughs. It made the $50 loss a little easier to take.

Nope, my mistake. I assumed it was a natural process; didn't realize it was something the horses are taught.

Always learning something new on this board.

Next time we will not give you the credit:p

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
I spent a day at Saratoga last Sept. I absolutely loved it.

But I could very well be a poor man if it were too close by.

Took my brother and our crew to Saratoga last year for his Bachelor party last year for opening races and we made a killing on a 50-1 long shot that came in first that had the same name as his Bride. Good times.

Also bumped into Joe Vallano that weekend.

I'm a pretty big horseplayer and I hit the trifecta yesterday. Would have got the super if Nyquist had gone to post 5/2 or below, instead sat it out.

I grew up near Rockingham Park. Spent quite a bit of time there. I was able to control myself but it wasn't easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News