PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fan dives head first off Rt. 1 overpass outside Gillette, flown to hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess that explains why we didn't move from P10 until about 9:30PM.

Happened before the game in P8, would have had no effect on P10. We were in P 9 and got out in about 20 minutes. Didn't even bother tailgating afterwards.

Snowbank or no snowbank I'm not jumping. I watched a kid jump into a "snowbank" when I was a kid and he broke his leg.

My cousin lived down the street from the Holiday Inn in Somerville and behind it was a small parking garage and behind that a big open paved lot. Well they plowed the snow from the lot up against the parking garage wall. We thought it would be fun to jump into the Snowbank from the top of the parking garage (2nd level), the first kid jumped and broke his leg. The snowbank was an icebank.

I used to do some crazy, daredevil type stuff in my teens and twenties. Suprised I survived some of it.

I used to do some crazy, daredevil type stuff in my teens and twenties. Suprised I survived some of it.

The sad part is I was about 9. My cousin and his friend were about 12. But I know what you are saying. I did a lot of stupid sh!t when I was a teenager that looking back on could have got me killed, i.e. get out of your car and fight someone in traffic etc..

I'm not out of my 20's yet so I'll let you know if I survive in a year and 4 months or so. :D

Last edited:
A few years ago I was talking to an old friend from a gang that I hung around with in my late teens,early twenties. It came out that back in those younger days neither one of us thought we'd live to be thirty. But we didn't try diveing head first off of bridges. I hope the kid survives to be able to say the same thing,but it doesn't sound good.

071223_Gillette_airlift.jpg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- A man jumped off a pedestrian overpass while walking from Gillette Stadium. The man thought he was jumping into a snow bank below. Only there was no snow bank to jump into. He jumped 15 feet head first into the pavement.

Security guards called for help and immediately tended to the man, trying to stabilize his neck and head.

A medflight helicopter landed in the Patriots practice field where the man was airlifted to Beth Israel Hospital.

The man, in his twenties, is listed in serious but stable condition.

This incident is under investigation. Police are looking to see if alcohol played a role.

This incident is under investigation. Police are looking to see if alcohol played a role.

Wow, that's some difficult detective work there.

Fan Jumps from Overpass at Gillettte

My apologies if there was a thread on this late last night or this morning and I missed it. It's on the front page of the CNN website now. Does anyone know what happened? Is the guy OK? As I recall something similar happened in San Francisco a couplof weeks ago.

Patriots Fan Jumps From Overpass
Incident Shocks Onlookers At Gillette Stadium

POSTED: 11:04 pm EST December 23, 2007
UPDATED: 6:35 am EST December 24, 2007

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- As stunned bystanders watched, a Patriots fan on his way into Gillette Stadium for Sunday's game lept off an overpass and fell 17 feet onto the pavement below.

"He thought he was going to land in a snow bank," said one witness to the incident.

NewsCenter 5's Todd Kazakiewich reported that the 20-year old man was on a pedestrian walkway heading towards the stores at Patriot Place about 3:15 p.m.

"All of a sudden he jumped. He was screaming on the way down, then he was silent," said another witness.

The man bounced off the pavement below.

"He was unconscious and unresponsive," said Scott Rogers of Foxborough Fire and Rescue.

A medical helicopter landed on the Patriots' practice field and flew the man to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. Officials there said he was in serious condition.

Police are investigating whether alchohol was involved.

"He definitely had something to drink. I think he had a great deal to drink," said a man who witnessed the incident.

Copyright 2007 by TheBostonChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Last edited:
I thought I heard it was "Crackhead" Morris.....from what they said on Channel 5....the victim was "rapping" all the way down!!! :)

Mercury Morris says the Patriots are not in his neighborhood yet.

~I say crack is wack

From WCSH News tonight:

Foxboro, MA (NEWS CENTER) Police say the 20-year old man jumped from a 20-foot high overpass, thinking he would land in a snowbank. Instead, he hit the pavement.

It happened shortly before Sunday's Patriots-Dolphins game at Gillette Stadium. Police say the man and some friends were horsing around on the overpass.

The man, whose name has not been made public, is believed to be from Maine, although where in Maine is not yet known.

After immediate treatment by paramedics, the injured man was flown by helicopter to Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, where he is reported in serious condition.

Yeah, we all do stupid stuff when we are young and immortal. I hope he pulls through so his family can smack him upside the head :)

As the father of a 19 year old, I understand why my own father has no hair. i don't blame him anymore for drinking. I get it. sigh.

I was talking to someone today who was at the lot right next to where that happened. Said there was a bunch of commotion when it happened with people yelling before the ambulances and helicopter came.

I went to a KC Cheifs preseason game @1983 or so ... it was pouring rain the entire game. I was one of those shirtless drunk idiots screaming and yelling the whole game ... imagine drunk on that piss beer they sold there at the time.

Anyways ... after the game I felt some stupid urge to run as fast as I could and slide head first across the pavement soaked with rain. I looked like I had been crucified with wounds to both knees and both palms ... no rational for such stupidity ... I hope that young kid survives and resumes his life.

Let's face it ... most of us have been there where this kid was ... young male I can do anything bravado ... we were just lucky enough to not have been killed doing it.

funny, most of this board will whine about someone who stands, and makes noise during 3rd down at a home game (like the players request)... "why must we stand to make noise"?... but, yet, you support a complete @sshole who jumps headfirst 15 feet onto pavement? wow... id only support the jumping if it was a dolphins fan, then it would be understandable... hopefully it will move a pats fan with an iq over 90 higher up the waitlist.

funny, most of this board will whine about someone who stands, and makes noise during 3rd down at a home game (like the players request)... "why must we stand to make noise"?... .

That is total BS. Some maybe, most no way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back