PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FA Targets - available at a reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve Smith maybe cut am sure Aqib Talib would love to face him in practice everyday lol

Everyone in the media down there have been waiting for years for Steve Smith to slow down and last year it finally appeared as if that process is beginning. The guy made his bones on deep speed throughout his career. If he's losing a step, he's still a very solid WR2 option but he's getting up there.

What about Golden Tate? What do you think his price would be

He isn't going anywhere. There's a reason why seattle dumped red Bryant.

They actually have not released him yet, the reports were premature I think they are considering it but nothing is certain.

You can scratch Pitta off the list:

✔ @AlbertBreer
RT @RavensInsider: Ravens have reached a five-year deal with tight end Dennis Pitta, according to league sources

I'm curious to see what Pitta got. He's a solid TE, but not a gamechanger like Gronk, Davis, Cameron, Graham, Thomas.

I'm a strong advocate of giving Jason Avant a chance here. Obviously, like any other player, the price has to justify the decision.

I imagine that many would just see it as a "meh" type of signing, but I think that Avant could improve our WR corps here as a possession type receiver.

His leadership in the locker room at PHI has been exceptional, and while that isn't enough in itself to justify the decision, it shows that he fits into the mold of guys who may be considered.

I don't think we're going to see any bigger name WR signings, so we may have to settle for this type of additional competition as fans.

I agree that we will likely make a “meh” type signing but I would rather target Brandon LaFell than Avant. Lafell is three years younger; he is also a bigger receiver at 6’2” 210lbs. Avant reminds me of the Michael Jenkins signing last year and Jabar Gaffney the year before. They are solid receivers but they in their 30s and on the decline.

I'm curious to see what Pitta got. He's a solid TE, but not a gamechanger like Gronk, Davis, Cameron, Graham, Thomas.

The Raven thinks he is though, just as they thought Flacco was like Manning, and Ngata was like Wilfork.

The Raven thinks he is though, just as they thought Flacco was like Manning, and Ngata was like Wilfork.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 1m
Ravens TE Dennis Pitta's five-year deal is worth about $32.5 million.

That's pretty bad. Looks like we can cross off Finley/Pettigrew/Chandler. Our TE2 is coming through the draft.

I have some interest in these mid-level UFAs –

- James Jones, WR
- Andre Roberts, WR
- Brandon LaFell, WR
- Danario Alexander, WR*
- Kenny Britt, WR*
- Garrett Graham, TE
- Scott Chandler, TE
- Dustin Keller, TE*
- J'Marcus Webb, OT
- Marshall Newhouse, OT
- Jamon Meredith, OG
- Eben Britton, OG
- Evan Dietrich-Smith, OC
- Everson Griffen, DE
- Robert Ayers, DE
- Anthony Spencer, DE*
- Matt Shaughnessy, DE
- Pat Sims, DT
- Ziggy Hood, DT
- Vaughn Martin, DT
- D'Qwell Jackson, LB
- Jon Beason, LB
- Pat Angerer, LB*
- Captain Munnerlyn, DB
- Terrell Thomas, DB*
- Louis Delmas, DB*
- Stevie Brown, DB*
- Michael Mitchell, DB
- Nick Collins, DB*

*Health dependent

Great list. I want to resign Talib and Blount (Blount? so we can trade Ridley because this years Draft has crap at RB, so his value should be higher). I want to trade Mallett if we get at least a mid second. I think Edelman might be gone if he wants $6mm.

I think BB has a better knack for Trades and FA signings than the Draft if you graded him.

Impact to the Team in right-now mode would be my concern gong into 2014 for the Pats. We are blessed with a good solid core that one or two holes filled or upgraded can be the difference. TB and one more Ring at least for him should be a goal. Draft picks are nice but look at our production from last years Draft class and grade them:

I rate the three kid WRs as a "C". Injuries (Boyce and Dobson)and "dog house" sits were apparent, late with Thompkins especially.

Vellano was undrafted and remember Jones was a FA pick up so he doesn't count."C" with a bullet because Vellano was a find and was decent in injury panic mode.

Collins was coming on. Logan Ryan did well. I could give them a "B-" and I could say they were good but neither were starters unless injuries pushed them up.

A few other cameos by some rookies, but MEH.

Punter? O.K. if we have to.

Not one impact player started. So let's not anoint this years class 2014 as H.O.F. ready by expectation as well.

Banking on a Draft to improve a Team significantly is risky at best. One or two players will be dominant and elite. Some very good and arrow up. The others?...... "we'll see".

The Super Bowl this year was a superb example of how two Teams used their rosters to get to the Championship game without relying solely on the Draft, but relied more on FAs and Trades. Youngsters did not impact that game. I believe one starter in 44. Now they finished off their roster with kids that is true, but not one roster player from the 2013 Draft for either Team was impactfull.

The caveat: Both Teams did have a steady group of maturing younger players 2,3,4 years etc.who were mediocre to decent when Drafted, but have become stars.

That is why the FA investments mold the Team and compliment your Draft picks, because you have more control if there is a player you just got to have to fill a hole now. Same process in Trades. As Example: Even though Harvin was hurt, how much better would the Pats be going into 2014 with him on the roster? Yes I know about the money. Just sayin.

Most GMs in the NFL don't have the stones to make a trade so they become lazy and sit and wait on the almighty Draft when we all know 17% is the success number in a Drafted class. Some will say "well it's hard to make a Trade because of CBA rules". That is crap.

Don't get me wrong. I love the Draft. But your targeted player depends on your alignment and tape on the college game, not Pros. I love the Pats to build each year, but I do not look at "All Pro from year one" from the Draft and know a chance of being elite is less than 20%. Again as Example: Harvin=elite via Trade. In our past: Moss=elite via Trade. Harrison=elite via FA.

FAs and Trades have NFL tape.

So this is my most exciting time of the year for the Pats even over the Draft.

I agree on S Louie Delmas. After McCourty would be the best S on the Pats right now.

C Evan Dietrich-Smith. I want Mack in a perfect world, but the Browns can shower him with money. Smith is logically a better fit CAP wise. Good player. Up grade significantly from Wendell and Connelly. Understands the pass game via GB and Rodgers in protecting him.

LB D'Quell Jackson. Probably better than Mayo at this juncture. Great rotation if they sign him! An upgrade over Spikes and Mayo in coverage for sure. A lot of flexibility with his signing combined with Collins, Mayo, Hightower and Ninkovich. I think Nink is actually the best fit at MLB for the Pats. Think about it?

Some I add:

NT/DT Terrance Cody. A low tier FA signing. Still young at 25 but without his game to NFL expectations. Now with Ngata and Wilfork as your teachers how bad can that be? He was dominant at Alabama. He can be in the NFL but he played behind Ngata (tough to beat out). At 25 he could be Wilfork's heir.

DE I really want Michael Johnson or Jared Allen at DE, but Johnson who the Pats sniffed last year and Allen might be too costlly. DE Will Smith might be a mid tier veteran gem. One of the top rated DE's in a 4-3 but was less effective as a 3-4 LB and out of position. 7.5 sacks average per year. Stouter than Nink and Jones. The Vet rotation DE we all were interested in finding.

(will be CAPeroo)WR Sidney Rice. He has the tools to be elite and when healthy has been on the cusp. He is only 27. We have taken chances on some dinged players before. An actual #1 WR in the market that Pats could get and should be reasonable? Sign him!

(will be CAPeroo) TE Owen Daniels. Fabulous receiver and decent TE . This guy could anchor the TE spot until a Drafted kid (yes I want a TE to be Drafted) or Gronk get healthy and then you would have a superb rotation. Prediction: If we loose Edelman he leads the Team in receptions in 2014 if signed.

Trades?
WR Justin Blackmon from the Jags on a one year to see if the kid could be straight from his drinking issues.

SS Antre Rolle from the Giants if they want to keep Stevie Brown, would help us. The Giants happen to need a RB.

C/G Stefen Wisniewski from the Raiders who need a QB.

Draft? I will take a shot (pending FA signings) :

1-Jace Amaro TE
2-RaShede Hagemen DT (from Mallett Trade)
2-Telvin Smith SS (from Ridley Trade)-That's right... I see a great SS!
2-Trent Murphy DE
3-Joel Bitonio T/G
4-A.J. McCarron QB
6-Jeff Janis WR (from Eagles)
6-Joe Don Duncan TE/ Long Snapper-Saves a roster spot. Great production
6-Colt Lyerla TE (COMP)
7-Shaquil Barrett OLB

DW Toys

I approach FA asking 2 things.

#1 What does my team need
#2 What can I not likely get in for mid round/late round value in the draft.

The big thing for me is we REALLY need a backup DE. We won't be able to get a decent mid/late round one without a ton of risk and so it should be the main thing to address this offseason.

Also it be nice to get a good Safety incase we miss one in the draft but that will be hard to get cause almost all the good ones are not 30 and will be looking for long term contracts.

Also a WR is important just to have a capable veteran. As long as we draft a good TE and Dobson improves it is not a HUGE need though.

The guys I want to get

#1 DE - Allen/Spencer/Smith
#2 WR - Jones/Nicks/Tate

After that some OL help that is cost effective.

OG - Wharton/Schwartz/Colon.
OC - Goodwin/Ohrnberger

This still leaves you a good amount of cap room so you can sign someone else.

Players that peak my interest the most are –

- Matt Shaughnessy back in 2010 had an outstanding year with Oakland – 56 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 5 run stuffs. At 27 years old, he should have plenty left in the tank.
- Everson Griffin is a very disruptive defensive lineman and he is a physical specimen (combine results linked below). He has never received an opportunity to start but he reminds me of Michael Bennett last year, he can play outside and inside, and he is still just 26 years old. *Everson Griffen | Southern Cal, DE : 2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
- Eben Britton was a second round draft picks by the Jaguars in 2009; he was very good early in his career, they moved him a lot from during his time with the Jaguars and fell off track. He has experience at RT, LG, and RG with the Jaguars. He is still just 26 years old and could be a good depth player who can play tackle and guard.
- Brandon LaFell is a receiver I really like; he is 6’2” 210 lbs. so he offers us some security with a veteran presence behind Aaron Dobson.
- Jon Beason was a former pro bowler who had his career derailed by an Achilles injury; at 29 years old, there could be an opportunity to get him back on track.
- Nick Collins was a former pro bowler who suffered what most thought to be a career ending neck injury. He received clearance to resume his playing career and at 32 years old could have a few productive seasons.

Players that peak my interest the most are –

- Matt Shaughnessy back in 2010 had an outstanding year with Oakland – 56 tackles, 7 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 5 run stuffs. At 27 years old, he should have plenty left in the tank.
- Everson Griffin is a very disruptive defensive lineman and he is a physical specimen (combine results linked below). He has never received an opportunity to start but he reminds me of Michael Bennett last year, he can play outside and inside, and he is still just 26 years old. *Everson Griffen*|*Southern Cal,*DE*:*2010 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
- Eben Britton was a second round draft picks by the Jaguars in 2009; he was very good early in his career, they moved him a lot from during his time with the Jaguars and fell off track. He has experience at RT, LG, and RG with the Jaguars. He is still just 26 years old and could be a good depth player who can play tackle and guard.
- Brandon LaFell is a receiver I really like; he is 6’2” 210 lbs. so he offers us some security with a veteran presence behind Aaron Dobson.
- Jon Beason was a former pro bowler who had his career derailed by an Achilles injury; at 29 years old, there could be an opportunity to get him back on track.
- Nick Collins was a former pro bowler who suffered what most thought to be a career ending neck injury. He received clearance to resume his playing career and at 32 years old could have a few productive seasons.

I'd be down with Brandon LaFell coming here.

I'd be down with Brandon LaFell coming here.

Right now, I'm of the mind that if we manage to re-sign Talib and nab Jackson and Red Bryant (two players BB loves), our defense is stellar.

Jackson and Johnson would be even better.

And if Amendola can develop at safety, as the rumors now indicate...

Big advocate for signing Everson Griffen. Also like Art Jones. With the need at safety, what about Chris Clemons from the Dolphins he seems to be pretty good and is a FA.

6-Joe Don Duncan TE/ Long Snapper-Saves a roster spot. Great production
6-Colt Lyerla TE (COMP)
7-Shaquil Barrett OLB

No it doesn't. It just means he goes on the ever-burgeoning list of "Oh ####, who can long snap" players the Pats have had over the years (including, but not limited to, Ninkovich).

I will at least give you credit for not trading away half the picks in your mock for veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST