PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

FA Targets - available at a reasonable price

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to have Sanders, my thought is that if Maclin, Cooper, Tate, and Boldin all resign with their teams as rumored Sanders would be the best Y/Z WR on the market, with Decker, Nicks and Jones all being X WRs. With that considered I expect him to receive $5M like Cooper received, he is a very good receiver and the only reason the Steelers are letting him test the market is because he is so similar to Brown in how he plays so his value is not as high to them. I see Sanders as a young Deion Branch with more speed who would fit perfectly into this offense. I am hopeful that Boyce can be that player as well and that is another reason I am not all in on Sanders.

I would also love to have Wesley Woodyard, I actually love that you mentioned him because I over looked him. He is exactly the type of player we need on this team, he is excellent on special teams but can contribute just as much on defense. We have way too many players on this team like Chris White who can only give us value on special teams, I would much rather have a Woodyard who can do both.

One name I left out is Thomas Decoud who I also would take a look at.

Emmanuel Sanders have never had or come close to 1000yds receiving that alone is red flag for me. I hope the Patriots are not enormed with him in FA 2014. I think Emmanuel Sanders is overrated...I thought his numbers with Mike Wallace moving on was below average last year. Sanders is what he is and that not a very good Wide Receiver. I would rather a WR via the Draft over Sanders.

Emmanuel Sanders have never had or come close to 1000yds receiving that alone is red flag for me. I hope the Patriots are not enormed with him in FA 2014. I think Emmanuel Sanders is overrated...I thought his numbers with Mike Wallace moving on was below average last year. Sanders is what he is and that not a very good Wide Receiver. I would rather a WR via the Draft over Sanders.

67/740/6 isn't a bad line for a guy who would probably come in for low money.

Belichick prefers veterans in this offense, I think. we went through too many growing pains last year with dobson, etc., so if a guy like Chandler is available at a reasonable price I can see them headed in that direction instead. Signing chandler will give the pats some flexibility to go defense in round 1 and a center in round 2 (Travis Swanson).

I read that Scott Chandler has some sort of ACL surgery in January not what I wanted to read or hear.:mad::bricks:

67/740/6 isn't a bad line for a guy who would probably come in for low money.

Low as long as its around 2Mill to 2.2 rage no way he's not worth anything above that. If Sanders come cheap I'm fine with that.

I dont think drafting a TE negates the need for a Vet TE.

Otherwise week one you might be giving Brady a rookie TE and Whoman if Gronk is not ready week one. Not the end of the world but after last year I think we should be sure to have a more polished TE in the passing game to back up Gronk.

1. Barring an unforseen setback, Gronk should be ready for Week 1.

2. ASJ is the most ready TE in this draft for the Pats.

3. Brady had two rookies at TE in 2010 and that worked out fine.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a cheaper vet brought in even if the Pats do draft a TE.

I read that Scott Chandler has some sort of ACL surgery in January not what I wanted to read or hear.:mad::bricks:

That was in 2012...he played a full season in 2013 and had the best year of his career.

Still, I wouldn't mind seeing a cheaper vet brought in even if the Pats do draft a TE.

ASJ is kind of like gronk. I'm not as high on amaro because he doesn't block very well.

Deion Branch never had a 1000 yard season in his career, that is the type of player I view Sanders as. I am not looking at him as a go to receiver I am looking at him as a player that would fit nicely into the Z-WR role opposite Dobson and outside of Edelman/Amendola who will be in the slot. He can run underneath routes, intermediates, work the screen game, and provide a deep threat with his speed.

I am looking at it from the perspective of building a football team in which case I would want –

Gronkowski – 1200-1400 yards
Edelman/Amendola –1000-1100 yards
Dobson – 900-1000 yards
Sanders or alternate – 600-800 yards

You can only have so many 1000 yards receivers on a team and if you sign a player who is used to gaining a 1000+ yards in his career he is going to expect to be a top target, we have a top target in Gronkowski. We run a lot of our offense through the slot so Edelman/Amendola is going to receive a significant number of targets, and I think the team likes Dobson as the X-WR (as do I).

I personally would sign James Jones; the reason being is I want to insure the X-WR slot in case Dobson does not take the second year leap. I think that Amendola and Edelman can give us production in the Y-WR and Z-WR spots while we develop Boyce and I would draft Jeff Janis who I think would be perfect for that position on this team. Last season would have been the year to sign Sanders but when we did and then drafted Boyce it changed, now it would be a redundant use of our resources in my opinion.

Low as long as its around 2Mill to 2.2 rage no way he's not worth anything above that. If Sanders come cheap I'm fine with that.

Considering the Patriots were willing to pay him at least $2.5M before he posted career best numbers, you may find yourself disappointed.

ASJ is kind of like gronk. I'm not as high on amaro because he doesn't block very well.

I don't think If we Draft Jace Amaro we expecting him to Block.;):D His Receiving skills are just too Elite. With Amaro we can resign Hooman or Draft a Blocking TE on Day 2 that solves that.

I like ASJ and I think the foot injury will make him available (or should I say I hope) at #62.

I think we should do everything in our power to draft C.J. Fiedorowicz though (in addition) because we obviously valued that blocking TE with Mulligan here and Fiedorowicz would be an instant upgrade over Mulligan in my opinion. He is an excellent blocker and I think he can provide production consistently in the passing game as a receiver.

Considering the Patriots were willing to pay him at least $2.5M before he posted career best numbers, you may find yourself disappointed.

Well we'll know in couple of weeks if they still like him.

A Gronk-like TE to go with Gronk is fine by me. Now that Amaro might go on Day 2, I would be fine with him as a move TE. I just didn't want him in the first round.

I don't think If we Draft Jace Amaro we expecting him to Block.;):D His Receiving skills are just too Elite. With Amaro we can resign Hooman or Draft a Blocking TE on Day 2 that solves that.

I think we should draft or sign someone who is more like gronk rather than another hernandez. If gronk goes down, and yes this is an annual thing, can amaro step up and do the same things gronk can do? I would rather have a complete tight end like chandler or ASJ.

I agree with what you are saying except I think I want a little better than a cheap Vet at TE.

My plan would probably be more to go Safety and G/C in the first 2 rounds and get a proven TE in the passing game through free agency. I am not against TE in the first 2 rounds and ASJ would be the one I would want and you know college alot better than me so that makes me feel good about that choice.

Either way I think we both agree that a TE is a priority you just want to fill it through the draft and I would rather use those picks elsewhere and have a more proven player in the passing game even if the vet likely wont come with the ceiling ASJ would come with. My thinking is that health aside Gronk is your one so what we really need at TE is a back up than can be relied on and I am not sure a rookie fits that bill even if their ceiling is much higher. For the record and I said as much before too I am not against going both routes as the 2TE offense we ran with Gronk and the scumbag was leathal but the minimum need is a depth in the passing game out of the TEs.

On player no one is talking about is Jared allen. I think he would come at a reasonable price and he's only 32. Last year he had 11.5 sacks. Bedard seems to think he's a good fit for the patriots.

I agree with what you are saying except I think I want a little better than a cheap Vet at TE.

My plan would probably be more to go Safety and G/C in the first 2 rounds and get a proven TE in the passing game through free agency. I am not against TE in the first 2 rounds and ASJ would be the one I would want and you know college alot better than me so that makes me feel good about that choice.

Either way I think we both agree that a TE is a priority you just want to fill it through the draft and I would rather use those picks elsewhere and have a more proven player in the passing game even if the vet likely wont come with the ceiling ASJ would come with. My thinking is that health aside Gronk is your one so what we really need at TE is a back up than can be relied on and I am not sure a rookie fits that bill even if their ceiling is much higher. For the record and I said as much before too I am not against going both routes as the 2TE offense we ran with Gronk and the scumbag was leathal but the minimum need is a depth in the passing game out of the TEs.

Pryor and Clinton-Dix will be the first round safeties, more than likely. Pryor will be long gone and Clinton-Dix is a little too much like McCourty. We need a more physical presence back there, and even then Clinton-Dix might also be gone. I'm a safety-first guy as well, but the top two prospects might not even fall into our range and there are some good prospects that will be available in Days 2 and 3 if that happens. In general, I'm a SS, TE guy with this draft. As for the vet TE thing, if it's not a cheap vet, then who are you looking at? All that's available in FA is cheaper vets unless you think New Orleans isn't going to franchise Graham.

I would rather target a TE in the draft, if anything. I was just saying that, if they are going to go the FA route, those two are who I would hope they target.

I'm hoping for both. I'm hoping for Chandler in FA and Amaro in the draft. Also, would love to see WR James Jones in a Pat's uni, but would like to grab another WR in the draft as well. James Jones would mean syonara to one of Boyce or Thompkins most likely. Hoping we resign Edelman, then we'd have Edelman, Amendola, Dobson, Thompkins, Boyce and then possibly sign Jones. I would think unless Thompkins had a great camp again, he could be the odd man out, depending if Boyce shows up healthy and ready for the 2nd year jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes