PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expect a big move cap-wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting Chung provides very little savings ($200,000 in roster bonuses) since his 1 million salary is guaranteed.

Cutting Chung provides very little savings ($200,000 in roster bonuses) since his 1 million salary is guaranteed.

Daggumit. That's the one I thought had the best risk/reward ratio.

Miguel, thanks for staying on top of this conversation.

cut candidates: branch, wilson, mcclain

did branch earn his weight bonus?
convert vollmer's, mccourty's, ninko's roster bonus?

finally a legitimate use for the useful rating button!

Thanks Miguel.

I think it's crystal clear who needs to go... cya Hooman! ;)

Since Branch's $400,000 weight bonus is LTBE, it will remain on the 2015 Patriots cap even if Branch did not earn it. If Branch did not earn his weight bonus the $400,000 will go into the 2016 LTBE/NTLBE end of year reconciliation as a credit.

One thing that happened to all the cap space is the sudden growth of the Injured Reserve and PUP list.
The Patriots currently have around $5mm in cap space tied up on IR/PUP.

DL Chris Jones & LB Dane Fletcher on PUP
RB Tyler Gaffney, FB James Develin, WR Brandon Gibson, WR Brian Tyms, TE AJ Derby, TE Jake Bequette, OL Kevin Hughes on IR

Add on the dead money, including $5mm for Revis, $4mm for Mankins, $3mm for Arrington, and then others.
Tyms, The Fake, and Hughes need to be injury-settled off the roster ASAP.

Here is a dark horse.

Chandler Jones traded

They are loaded at DE

I have been thinking this too. You think a second round-er is fair for a one year rental?

cut candidates: branch, wilson, mcclain

convert vollmer's, mccourty's, ninko's roster bonus?
Can you touch McCourty's terms so soon after agreement? Is there a once-a-year deal with restructurings?

I have been thinking this too. You think a second round-er is fair for a one year rental?

I'd say only a 2 would be a bit light. I'd want more... perhaps a fairly high pick in the 2017 draft as well.

Well, it looks like signing Revis would've been suicidal. It makes me wonder if they didn't know that going into the negotiations. In which case, why bother? To screw the Jets? The Jets now have problems because of Revis and the precedent setting Suh contract.

I think because of age, that Vollmer is more likely. That and a Brady restructure or a Solder signing should do the trick ........ a high 2nd rounder or another player (with an OK contract) (Mankins, Part II).
isn't Suh swimming with the Fish?

It has been surprisingly quiet on the surprise move front... there's always at least one per year, so the fact we haven't heard about one yet leads me to believe a big bomb is coming.

I thought the Pats would break this streak this year, but with this recent run to the IR, and now in light of these resulting salary ramifications, I now fully expect -THE BOMB- to drop on some hapless rosteree.

Cut Amendola and Wayne.Keep harper. Put TE Mondine on ps. Cut hooman and at least 2 db will be gone.I would like to see Rufus Johnson on team . He put the most pressure on QB in preseason.

I've been wondering about Wayne making it, given the cost and his relative lack of speed. With Dobson's showing last night, I think they find $1.5M there. Add McLain as an easy cut to save $0.5M and they are $1.2M in the black. That's still not enough. They could probably make things work with a Solder extension, assuming that they can agree to terms. With Cannon and Fleming around, they probably don't see the same value in Solder for next year as he could get elsewhere. Without that, the Pats are looking for maybe $3M more in cuts. Something has to give. Cutting Vollmer would get the job done and would fit Miguel's original notion well. Cutting Wendell and Branch and Wilson and Hooman would amount to almost that much, but it seems that Bill usually prefers the band-aid approach - get it done all at once (or maybe that's just perception because we remember the big-name surprise cuts). Should be an interesting week, as usual. Whatever happens, it won't rate as the overblown story of this pre-season.

...With Cannon and Fleming around, they probably don't see the same value in Solder for next year as he could get elsewhere...
Cannonfodder and Fleming are not - repeat, N.O.T. - viabilities at LT.

Tyms, The Fake, and Hughes need to be injury-settled off the roster ASAP.

Pretty sure that the time for them to reach an injury settlement has passed.

EDIT: Bequette is gone with an injury settlement.

Cannonfodder and Fleming are not - repeat, N.O.T. - viabilities at LT.

Cannon most certainly is an option at LT. Just not full time.. You need to go back to 2013 and watch the end of the year when he took snaps there.. He did extremely well..

Last edited:
Cut Amendola and Wayne.Keep harper. Put TE Mondine on ps. Cut hooman and at least 2 db will be gone.I would like to see Rufus Johnson on team . He put the most pressure on QB in preseason.

Yes, because the Patriots only need 3 proven WR.. :rolleyes:

As for Johnson, you need to temper your enthusiasm because you are forgetting that he did most of his work against guys who won't be playing week 1..

The thought of getting rid of Amendola and Wayne is crazy! I expect both to make the team, but if one goes its gonna be Wayne for harper, but that is doubtful. We know what we have in Wayne and know he can produce if he knows the offense. Harper, while a nice story seems more apt to a practice sqaud player. I hope we can keep him and developed him over the next few years because he does have potential.

The Pats don't give Wayne the contract they gave him last week if they think he's on the roster fringe. They just wouldn't do it - that contract means they see him as a significant contributor this year, which means he'll be on the 53.

And cutting Amendola not only won't happen, it can't happen. Strictly from a cap perspective, it would cost a million dollars more to cut him than to keep him. Even if they hated him and really wanted him off the team, that's a million dollars they they don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes