PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent proposal: reduce the complexity of the offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been primarily the offense that has been the main reason that the Pats have been successful in recent years.

And by being successful I mean getting to the Super Bowl twice in the past five years while having an average defense, perhaps below average and having winning records with double figure wins and continuing to win division titles.

Sure - winning the Super Bowl is the end game goal but compared to the other 31 teams in the NFL the Pats offense has carried more than their share of the load and has had success.

So IMO - why fix something that isn't broken? What can be done with the offense is to make it better and I believe they have done that with their free agency pickups thus far.

If the defense makes similar improvements which I believe they are well on the road to accomplishing then I can see no reason in making the offense less complicated. As I said - if it isnt broken - why fix it?

Last edited:
you guys aren't getting it. My argument has to do with THIS team and what it has to do to win. Not the 49ers, not the packers, etc. Giants may be didn't rush the ball great in other playoff games, but they had a defense to take heat off eli if he wasn't playing well, and most importantly, eli wasn't playing fraidy cat.

What are the patriots' options to win in the playoffs if tom doesn't play well like against the jets in 2010, ravens in 2009, or giants 2011? Hint: he doesn't have a defense. Fixing the running game would be the easier thing to do as it may take some time to build the defense.

Without tom, the passing game suffers, and without that the team is done. I like brandon lloyd, but how is he going to help if tom can't throw the ball because of a ferocious pass rush? Even with a healthy gronk the offense struggled against the ravens and giants earlier this year.

What you don't seem to grasp is that you got stuck on stupid and you just keep digging a bigger hole.:confused:

Where some of you people come up with these conclusions is simply beyond comprehension.

I'd go back and actually watch the Ravens and Giants game. If you actually watch the gamesand still think this makes sense.....quit football.

What you don't seem to grasp is that you got stuck on stupid and you just keep digging a bigger hole.:confused:

Where some of you people come up with these conclusions is simply beyond comprehension.

I'd go back and actually watch the Ravens and Giants game. If you actually watch the gamesand still think this makes sense.....quit football.

you can criticize me all you like, but apparently the patriots coaching staff agrees:

Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com

they are going to add more of a power running game next year. it's about time.

Last edited:
C'mon. The Pats passed for over 5,000 yards and went to the Super Bowl last year. And people want to weaken the offense by making it simpler thus more predictable? Why not become a Ground and Pound team.

The offense can always use tweaking here and there, but the complexity is not the problem. It is getting the right players to run it. I think they added one key one this year with Lloyd who knows the offense. They just need the college scouts to do a better job finding guys who understand it better in the college ranks.

I agree wholeheartedly. In a season where they badly needed a deep threat, the job was there for anyone to take and no one really could.

That beings said, McDaniels himself grew very predictable towards the end of 2007 (assuming he and not Brady was calling the majority of plays).

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and guess that he's learned from that and knows how better to mix things up to keep defenses honest.

Well I'd say this thread has just about run its course......looks like it's time for another mike wallace thread

Maybe you should just not respond if you are going to make asinine comments..

Maybe you shouldn't make assinine comments for me to respond to?
Actually it was a serious question becuase that is what you implied. Is it what you mean?

you guys aren't getting it. My argument has to do with THIS team and what it has to do to win. Not the 49ers, not the packers, etc. Giants may be didn't rush the ball great in other playoff games, but they had a defense to take heat off eli if he wasn't playing well, and most importantly, eli wasn't playing fraidy cat.

What are the patriots' options to win in the playoffs if tom doesn't play well like against the jets in 2010, ravens in 2009, or giants 2011? Hint: he doesn't have a defense. Fixing the running game would be the easier thing to do as it may take some time to build the defense.

Without tom, the passing game suffers, and without that the team is done. I like brandon lloyd, but how is he going to help if tom can't throw the ball because of a ferocious pass rush? Even with a healthy gronk the offense struggled against the ravens and giants earlier this year.

Your argument is terrible.
You decide what you think the problem is, which you have a lot of disagreement to, and then list 3 losses as proof you are right. The fact that those 3 losses occured has nothing to do with whether your reason for the losses is correct.
I could use your argument to prove any part of the team is the problem because none played well enough to win in those games, by definition.

The addition of 2 fringe FB/STers does not mean we are going to more of a power running game.

Besides, the Patriots have always had a power set, and they like to use extra TE or extra OL. They just haven't found the RB to use it with yet. And it's not effective as any of their passing packages.

We're a pass first team. It's a fact. The one game in the last five years in which the running back actually made a notable positive difference was Maroney vs San Diego in the AFCCG.

Last edited:
you can criticize me all you like, but apparently the patriots coaching staff agrees:

Fantasy Football Breaking News - Rotoworld.com

LOL

You gotta be kidding. I guess your reading is along with watching.

Sorry Sport, but just because you have collected a pile of equine dung doesn't mean some pony is on the horizon.

"May", I repeat"may" incorporate doesn't mean squat.The guy writing the "article" is just is guessing.

How about....a fullback was part of the McDaniels offense (ever hear of Heath Evans) and they may use one within the context of record setting passing offenses.

How about the fact the Patriots "may" need to replace some of the goal line and short yardage proficiency of losing law firm. This "may" be needed because the current RB's on the squad don't exhibit bruiser goal line and short yardage characteristics.

The Patriots lost the Super Bowl because of the failure to make a catch to seal the game. The only reason the Patriots were in a position to have to seal the game so late was the two TE based offense was missing it's most important weapon.

The defense "bailed" offense throughout the game following being put immediately back on the filed because of the safety and especially after the INT that only occurred because the most important weapon had a severe ankle injury.

Based on these events anyone with a nominal IQ should conclude the following:

While a two TE based offense is currently the toughest matchup in the NFL.....it is also most vunerable when you lose one of the TE's.

How do we know this?

Easy....watch the games. Week 3 in Buffalo and the Super Bowl make it painfully obvious. You can mitigate this by.......

Signing a third TE. Hard to imagine why BB wanted Fells in 2010 or that he would be the first 2012 signing?

Get players that can help further expand and diversify the offense. That's why the additional WR's were signed and nominal IQ Patriots fans should be very excited.

The one thing that could degrade the team happened before the Super Bowl. Even with it, the Patriots still only lost because of unforced drops, miracle catches,interesting calls, and fumbles not bouncing right.

This problem has been addressed in spades and this team is now as "Bernard Pollard" proof as any team could ever hope to be.

No offense here, but your own posts helped my case. The lack of a running game by the previous 2 SB winners helps my case. The Giants winning the Super Bowl with the #32 ranked running game in the NFL helps my case.

The Patriots lost the Super Bowl for the reasons I, and others, had been talking about all year long with that team. The inability to threaten the middle-deep portion of the field allowed defenses to get up short and tight on the Patriots offense (as an aside, that makes it more difficult for a running game to be effective). The inability to stop opposing quarterbacks allowed opposing teams to put up more points against the 2011 Patriots than had been put up against any other BB coached Patriots team except the 2002 squad. Both of those weaknesses were on display in the Super Bowl.

It would be great if the Patriots had an offense that could score at will with either the running game or the passing game. 32 teams in the NFL feel that same way. 32 teams in the NFL don't have that kind of offense, and that includes your Saints, whose running game is remarkably consistent and potent at home on the rug, and remarkably inconsistent on the road.

The Saints ran for over 100 yards in every home game. They were under 100 yards in 5 of 9 games on the road, and were held under 60 yards in 3 of those 5 games. All 4 of the Saints losses came when they were held to under 100 yards rushing. So, was the problem with the Saints that they needed a stronger running game? No, according to your own, earlier, argument:

Again, running games are becoming less and less important. Sure a team would like to have a strong running game, but it isn't as necessary as it once was. The Pats got to a Super Bowl without one. The year before the Packers won the Super Bowl with the league's 24th ranked running game.

Again, Forte and Sproles are not a good argument for your cause. The reason why both are dangerous are their ALL PURPOSE yards, not just their rushing yards. Sproles is a change of pace RB. What made him so dangerous was that he was a multiple threat. Defenses didn't know if he was going to run the ball or catch a pass in the flat when he was in the game. If he couldn't catch the ball, he would be a JAG. This has nothing to do with a strong running game, it was because Sproles made the Saints' offense more complicated because no one knew if he was a receiver or runner every play. The Pats have had success to a lesser extent with Danny Woodhead doing the same thing.

Yeah, you and Dues are right about a lot of things. I brought up this side....again lol, because I know that they are all purpose yards, and scat backs. Im bringing up Forte and Sproles because they are very similar. And what you are saying about defenses is kind of my overall point of thinking.

But I would say sproles just made the Saints more complicated because the same formula was there with Bush and PT in the lineup. PT is one of the best RB runners in the NFL, he just doesn't get the touches, and before that it was Duece. So we have always had a strong RB in the Backfield sense 2006.

... and like you said our offense just confuses defenses, and creates mismatches.
The RB/HB/Scat Back is the future of the NFL, and its a skill position.
But the need to have a true power runner in 3rd and 1 or red zone situations still exist, but rare your right.
So, by the patriots not addressing this new trend in the back field they make themselves one dimensional to defenses. I don't know if that hurts them, Saints are pass 1st team also. We just use all of our skill positions to make it more difficult for defense when players like sproles is in. So, I don't see why you would not want Forte.
.. and I would call that an upgrade.

Truthfully are OL might not even be that good, our skill positions elevate a lot of pressure from the QB, because the LB's are afraid to blitz. Drafting Ingram probably wouldn't have done much for the Patriots last year. But don't you think that if you had signed sproles instead of us, that would have made a noticeable difference in pass coverage, as double teaming becomes a problem , your blitz pickup because LB's have to risking a blitz, so usually don't . Instead of not worrying about it. 3rd and 1 when they don't know what you are going to do. Right know everyone knows your not running. I like Danny Woodhead, but why not upgrade to a woodhead/Forte type backfield ? Why not upgrade that spot. We know it works.

LOL, Bush proved that by not being near sproles ability. It was just the threat of Bush that kept the formula working.

It gives Tom more options, reduces pressure on the OL, give more time to the QB, probably better pocket control, and cleans up the coverage a bit. I think sometimes the coach just has to bite the bullet and fill the skill positions with High ranking NFL players , and the RB/HB/Scat back is one. ITs essential to keeping defenses honest.

The Ravens playoff comes to mind. Why would they be worried about blitzing you like crazy, like they did. Everyone knows your going to pass. A run team can just eat the clock, especially against your defense, but you don't have that option. You might need to look at becoming just a little more complex on offense. On defense I am at a lose. Hope I did better explaining myself this time thanks

Last edited:
The addition of 2 fringe FB/STers does not mean we are going to more of a power running game.

Besides, the Patriots have always had a power set, and they like to use extra TE or extra OL. They just haven't found the RB to use it with yet. And it's not effective as any of their passing packages.

We're a pass first team. It's a fact. The one game in the last five years in which the running back actually made a notable positive difference was Maroney vs San Diego in the AFCCG.

I agree with your overall point, but it could also be argued that the first NYJ game (Oct.9th) last yr was helped out greatly with the 4th quarter running of BJGE.

Other than those 2 games though, you're absolutely right.

I agree with your overall point, but it could also be argued that the first NYJ game (Oct.9th) last yr was helped out greatly with the 4th quarter running of BJGE.

BJGE had a great game, 136 yards 2 TDs. He dominated in the 2nd half, running for 70 yards.

Other than those 2 games though, you're absolutely right.

Fair enough. Good catch. But unlike the SD AFCCG, Brady and the passing offense did enough to win in their own right, anyway.

Even in BJGE's best games, his value over a replacement would be near nil.

It's why the Pats didn't sweat letting the guy go for a contract which was less than or around what they give backup safeties (Sanders, Gregory) and rotational D-Linemen (Mike Wright, Fanene). I know that pains Patspyscho to hear, but the truth hurts sometimes.

When the chips are down and it's on the line, the running back of this team becomes about as important as the water boy. If you don't have a running back that truly produces highly above average, then you likely have what everyone has - a serviceable, interchangeable running back, aka BJGE, or even Maroney, or Sammy Morris, or whoever.

The fate of this team falls on Brady & the passing offenses' shoulders - and the pass defenses shoulders. When the passing offense missteps at all (Brady to Welker mis-connection), good night, b/c the passing defense will not pick up the slack. That is just how things are going to be in the pass-oriented NFL.

The New York Giants simply made one more pass play than we did. All other conclusions on the game are borderline irrelevant. They made one more play. They get a trophy and rings. We get to think about how close we were all offseason. Life != fair.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Good catch. But unlike the SD AFCCG, Brady and the passing offense did enough to win in their own right, anyway.

Even in BJGE's best games, his value over a replacement would be near nil.

It's why the Pats didn't sweat letting the guy go for a contract which was less than or around what they give backup safeties (Sanders, Gregory) and rotational D-Linemen (Mike Wright, Fanene). I know that pains Patspyscho to hear, but the truth hurts sometimes.

When the chips are down and it's on the line, the running back of this team becomes about as important as the water boy. If you don't have a running back that truly produces highly above average, then you likely have what everyone has - a serviceable, interchangeable running back, aka BJGE, or even Maroney, or Sammy Morris, or whoever.

The fate of this team falls on Brady & the passing offenses' shoulders - and the pass defenses shoulders. When the passing offense missteps at all (Brady to Welker mis-connection), good night, b/c the passing defense will not pick up the slack. That is just how things are going to be in the pass-oriented NFL.

The New York Giants simply made one more pass play than we did. All other conclusions on the game are borderline irrelevant. They made one more play. They get a trophy and rings. We get to think about how close we were all offseason. Life != fair.

Huh?

Did you watch the AFCCG?

Brady sucked. He missed wide open Gronk/Hernandez for sure TD's and threw two picks. When the Ravens could have taken over following the Woodhead fumble, they were limited to a FG and zero points after that.

Ditto for the Super Bowl. Between the immediately back on the field following the safety TD and the final drive.......6 points....including after the INT.

The defense "bailed" the offense out for essentially the entire game.

The offense simply needed to put the game away.

The Giants had a top 10 offense. It's simply amazing that nominal intelligence can't comprehend that if you give a top 10 offense (with a QB that has set records for 4th QTR come from behinds) chance after chance to come from behind....they will not do it.

Huh?

Did you watch the AFCCG?

Brady sucked. He missed wide open Gronk/Hernandez for sure TD's and threw two picks. When the Ravens could have taken over following the Woodhead fumble, they were limited to a FG and zero points after that.

Ditto for the Super Bowl. Between the immediately back on the field following the safety TD and the final drive.......6 points....including after the INT.

The defense "bailed" the offense out for essentially the entire game.

The offense simply needed to put the game away.

The Giants had a top 10 offense. It's simply amazing that nominal intelligence can't comprehend that if you give a top 10 offense (with a QB that has set records for 4th QTR come from behinds) chance after chance to come from behind....they will not do it.

No, he didn't suck in the AFCCG, and neither did the passing attack. I know that's hard for "nominal intelligence" to comprehend these days, but you might want to watch the game, not the box score. He might not have put up fantasy numbers that fans have come to expect, but he played well most of the game against an elite passing defense. The passing offense as a unit did well and moved the ball. Maybe Brady was not the strongest link on the unit that game, but the passing offense still performed well.

And how did we give the Giants "chance after chance"? There were less possessions in the Super Bowl than in the majority of NFL games. We gave them a very long field to work with and the defense put up its worst effort of the game. If the defense weren't expected to make a stop in that situation, Belichick should've gone for it on 4th & 11 from his own 50.

I know it's hard for you and most posters to look at anything other than the final score in such an emotional, heart-wrenching game. But if we have to relive the Super Bowl, we'll see that outside of the horrific safety to open the game (which I still think was an unprecented call), the offense did its job outside of being completely handcuffed by a defense that was not playing complimentary football, killing the time of possession game, and leaving the offense with crap field position all game.

At one point in that game Brady was 20/23 with two TDs. If he had connected with Welker down the seam, we're probably talking about that game as a top 10 SB performance for any QB, with easily the greatest non-game winning drive in Super Bowl history. They didn't connect, and so we forget that in limited opportunities, the offense drove the ball, from terrible field position and into the Giants territory all game.

But that's fine. If people want to fixate on changing the one thing on this team that has consistently gotten us victories in the past 5 years, go ahead.

Forgive me if my ire towards you is misdirected, I can't remember which of our resident "pittsburgh" posters are closet Steelers fans or not.

Last edited:
No, he didn't suck in the AFCCG, and neither did the passing attack. I know that's hard for "nominal intelligence" to comprehend these days, but you might want to watch the game, not the box score. He might not have put up fantasy numbers that fans have come to expect, but he played well most of the game against an elite passing defense. The passing offense as a unit did well and moved the ball. Maybe Brady was not the strongest link on the unit that game, but the passing offense still performed well.

And how did we give the Giants "chance after chance"? There were less possessions in the Super Bowl than in the majority of NFL games. We gave them a very long field to work with and the defense put up its worst effort of the game. If the defense weren't expected to make a stop in that situation, Belichick should've gone for it on 4th & 11 from his own 50.

I know it's hard for you and most posters to look at anything other than the final score in such an emotional, heart-wrenching game. But if we have to relive the Super Bowl, we'll see that outside of the horrific safety to open the game (which I still think was an unprecented call), the offense did its job outside of being completely handcuffed by a defense that was not playing complimentary football, killing the time of possession game, and leaving the offense with crap field position all game.

At one point in that game Brady was 20/23 with two TDs. If he had connected with Welker down the seam, we're probably talking about that game as a top 10 SB performance for any QB, with easily the greatest non-game winning drive in Super Bowl history. They didn't connect, and so we forget that in limited opportunities, the offense drove the ball, from terrible field position and into the Giants territory all game.

But that's fine. If people want to fixate on changing the one thing on this team that has consistently gotten us victories in the past 5 years, go ahead.

Forgive me if my ire towards you is misdirected, I can't remember which of our resident "pittsburgh" posters are closet Steelers fans or not.

LOL, are you poking me with this commentary?

Yeah, he did suck in the AFCCG.

So missing WIDE OPEN TE's for guaranteed TD's is "OK" because the defense was "elite"? I guess the same is true for throwing picks without any pressure is "OK" because the defense is "elite".:confused:

How do I know Brady felt this way? Gee, I dunno like he said it himself.:eek:

Why did he spend the celebration interview noting how bad he played?

Advertising? Subterfuge?...you miss that?

BTW.....

Just how exactly did you come to define "complimentary" football?

What's so "complimentary" about putting a defense RIGHT back out on the field with a safety?

What's NOT "complimentary" about the opponent not scoring for over half the game until they get a FG following an INT and a short field?

How is it so "complimentary" to score opening the second half and then like NEVER AGAIN? What "job did that do"?

Hello McFly...score and the game is won....catch the ball and the game is won......don't turn the ball over and win the game.

I'd go back and actually watch the game. There is a chance you might notice these were all "at one point in the game" events?

Maybe it's just too easy to overlook that if you are determined to do exactly that.

Do me a favor boy. Speak for yourself and nobody else.

LOL, are you poking me with this commentary?

Yeah, he did suck in the AFCCG.

So missing WIDE OPEN TE's for guaranteed TD's is "OK" because the defense was "elite"? I guess the same is true for throwing picks without any pressure is "OK" because the defense is "elite".:confused:

How do I know Brady felt this way? Gee, I dunno like he said it himself.:eek:

Why did he spend the celebration interview noting how bad he played?

Advertising? Subterfuge?...you miss that?

BTW.....

Just how exactly did you come to define "complimentary" football?

What's so "complimentary" about putting a defense RIGHT back out on the field with a safety?

What's NOT "complimentary" about the opponent not scoring for over half the game until they get a FG following an INT and a short field?

How is it so "complimentary" to score opening the second half and then like NEVER AGAIN? What "job did that do"?

Hello McFly...score and the game is won....catch the ball and the game is won......don't turn the ball over and win the game.

I'd go back and actually watch the game. There is a chance you might notice these were all "at one point in the game" events?

Maybe it's just too easy to overlook that if you are determined to do exactly that.

Brady said he played like crap b/c that's the Patriot way. It wasn't his best game, but he did more than enough to win, and again - the passing offense performed well in that game. Both INTs were good plays by the defenders; the miss to Gronk was the big mistake in the game.

Stop just looking at the box score.

As for the rest of your post, it's hard to conjure up a serious response to a barrage of childish rhetorical questions, I suppose to you that's your idea of winning this argument.

But, of course I don't deny the hole the offense put the defense in with the safety. But it was bend don't break that led to such horrible field position. The safety, ultimately, really only cost them 2 points. The 7 that came after are on the defense.

Sure, if Welker catches it, they win. But doesn't that imply the offense played well enough to win? And the defense would have too, before that final drive.

Here's some rhetorical questions back for you: on the flip side, can't we point to just about any 3rd down in the game and say if the defense stops the Giants and forces a punt, we win? Can't we say if Chung was a step earlier on the Manningham throw, we win? If Mayo turns his head and snatches the pass to Cruz and takes it to the house, don't we win? If any defenders grab those fumbles, don't we win? If there weren't twelve men on the field, don't we win?

The thing that you're not grasping is that - long-drives, yielded by our defense, deprive the offense of possessions, which is points. Both in SB42 and SB46 there were less possessions than the norm; and it put the onus on the offense to pitch a perfect game. The offensive productivity of the team in SB46 on a pure possession or per time basis was pretty much the norm for the season. The game was shrunk, and there wasn't room for error.

Intrinsically, you're asking the offense to play a completely perfect game. And you're assuming that the only way the defense can make mistakes comparable to things such as a drop or an interception is to give up a touchdown. Both of these things are overly-simplistic, as is your entire view on the game, and apparently on football.

Last edited:
Do me a favor boy. Speak for yourself and nobody else.

Your posts all season long have spoken for themselves, don't begrudge me for having a memory. And spare me the attitude.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick