PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex-WEEI Pete Sheppard to host a show on Patriots.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I listen to both stations, to get multiple perspectives. Felger and Mazz spent August pummeling the Red Sox. That's just reality. From Papelbon to Theo/ownership to Beckett, it was a consistent bash-fest.

No they did not. They talked more Pats than Red Sox and that is the reality.

Actually, I listen to both stations, to get multiple perspectives. I tend to rotate them around the commercial breaks. Felger and Mazz spent August pummeling the Red Sox. That's just reality. From Papelbon to Theo/ownership to Beckett, it was a consistent bash-fest. Both channels spent time on multiple sports, and claiming that Sox talk was almost non-existent on 98.5 is simply nowhere near accurate.

I don't know how to prove to you this is incorrect other than to say I listened to them more than you did. Patsrock, who says he listened nonstop, supports me as well.

If you peruse the archives on their blog, you see much more non-Sox audio than Sox audio - and this includes entries for Mazz' baseball show, too.

Checking into WEEI right now is the exact reason I hate the Big Show. Right now they have a moronic Jets fan making stupid arguments and the only reason he is on the air is so Big O, DeOssie, and Curran to easily shoot down his arguments and ridicule him. The call screener should never let a guy like this on the air, but I think they actually put guys like this to the front of the line.

It's not that I care for Felger and Mazz (in fact, I have been frustrated with Felger's "there is no real cap and there never will be" rant that he has been on the last six months), but I am tired of the same crap that Big O has been doing for a decade now. I want intelligent sports talk not moron Patriots (or Sox or Celtics or Bruins) haters put on to dumb down the show and make Ordway feel superior buy out arguing the mentally challenged.

No they did not. They talked more Pats than Red Sox and that is the reality.

You're trying to split hairs and not bothering to read what was posted. What I was responding to was the following:

WEEI is probably - over the course of a year - 75% Sox talk vs. almost non-existent Sox talk on 98.5. Despite Mazz' presence, they rarely, rarely talk Sox,

and followed that up with

Really, specifically in August, they gave up on the Sox and hardly mentioned them, so I'm not sure what you're talking about

That's just not anywhere near correct, and you should notice that the poster retreated from that original position by then claiming that he was only referring to one half hour of the show (5:00-5:30).

Last edited:
Actually, I listen to both stations, to get multiple perspectives. I tend to rotate them around the commercial breaks. Felger and Mazz spent August pummeling the Red Sox. That's just reality. From Papelbon to Theo/ownership to Beckett, it was a consistent bash-fest. Both channels spent time on multiple sports, and claiming that Sox talk was almost non-existent on 98.5 is simply nowhere near accurate.

98.5 didn't ignore the Sox. They talked plenty of Sox. But up until last week, they talked far more Patriots than WEEI did. Unfortunately, a lot of the Patriots talk on Felger and Mazz was not real Patriots talk, but salary cap talk. But at least that is far more than the Big Show did during most of the preseason.

That's just not anywhere near correct, and you should notice that the poster retreated from that original position by then claiming that he was only referring to one half hour of the show (5:00-5:30).

Unless they talk Sox from 4-5 when I'm not listening, I can't see how my sample size isn't large enough.

Again, my comments on the Sox talk from 98.5 is relative, relative to WEEI. 98.5 is specifically avoiding Sox talk, strategically, I believe. They know WEEI is beating it to death, so they talk about other things. Perhaps I overstated how little 98.5 talks Sox - it may only feel so to me relative to my expectations. If I hear them talking Sox, I turn it off - and I rarely have to turn them off. That's mainly where I gather my sentiments from.

But the truth is, either way, WEEI talks WAY more Sox than 98.5 and that's not arguable.

Last edited:
Unless they talk Sox from 4-5 when I'm not listening, I can't see how my sample size isn't large enough.

Again, my comments on the Sox talk from 98.5 is relative, relative to WEEI. 98.5 is specifically avoiding Sox talk, strategically, I believe. They know WEEI is beating it to death, so they talk about other things.

Now you've gone from 5:00-5:30 to 4-5?

Look Rob posts as if 98.5 pays his salary, and yet he said:

98.5 didn't ignore the Sox. They talked plenty of Sox. But up until last week, they talked far more Patriots than WEEI did. Unfortunately, a lot of the Patriots talk on Felger and Mazz was not real Patriots talk, but salary cap talk. But at least that is far more than the Big Show did during most of the preseason.

I don't listen to them from whatever time the show starts until 5pm. I honestly don't know, I listen to them during my specific committing hours. I admitted this sample size from the get-go.

That's fine, I agree with Rob. They talk Sox. But comparative to WEEI, its next-to-nothing. Honestly, when they talk baseball, its more general MLB topics - controversies, Roger, umpires, Yankees, etc. Their Sox talk in the summer was limited to bashing Jacoby, basically. I can't really think of another Sox topic they featured prominently.

Last edited:
Felger and Mazz yeah the talked Sox but nowhere near what you are say Deus. I would say they are about 60% Pats 20%Bruins 15% Sox 5% Celtics. They have talked more Bruins hockey since March than Sox talk. I listen to 98.5 because they talk Bruins and Pats more than eei does.

Felger and Mazz yeah the talked Sox but nowhere near what you are say Deus. I would say they are about 60% Pats 20%Bruins 15% Sox 5% Celtics. They have talked more Bruins hockey since March than Sox talk. I listen to 98.5 because they talk Bruins and Pats more than eei does.

^^^This.

98.5 has targeted a Bruins/Pats audience. Anyone who listens knows there is no denying this. It coincides with them being the home network for those stations, and WEEI having the other two sports.

Their programming is built around this and targeting the fanbase of those two sports more than EEI does.

Last edited:
Mazz is an awful compliment to Felger, who despitenis whining can still talk all sports. Mazz cant. He usually just agreesnwith everything felger says. They need to match felger with someone who is willing to disagree with him.

98.5 is just overal better then WEEI. There is just too much I'm the host so I will just yell over every caller on that station. The morning show is HORRIBLE way too much politics. Toucher and Rich destroys that show for pure entertainment in the morning.

Only show on WEEI that I really listen to alot is Dale and Holley. The mid show on 98.5 sucks ever since they brought in Gresh. I think Tanguay got a bum rap. I thought he was good. All Gresh does is just grunt and yell. He almost never has anything important to say. Zolak is ok when they have Dan Shanesy on I listen or when Tanguay is on instead of Gresh I listen.

After that the big show and Felger and Mazz are a toss up. Depending on the day I listen. Felger is really annoying but sometimes entertaining. He has perfected that I'm always going against the grain schitk. So he's hit or miss.

I really like DA for some reason and I listen a little more then to Mikey Adams on WEEI. But throughout a day I say I listen on whole about 75% 98.5. :rocker:

98.5 is just overal better then WEEI. There is just too much I'm the host so I will just yell over every caller on that station. The morning show is HORRIBLE way too much politics. Toucher and Rich destroys that show for pure entertainment in the morning.

Only show on WEEI that I really listen to alot is Dale and Holley. The mid show on 98.5 sucks ever since they brought in Gresh. I think Tanguay got a bum rap. I thought he was good. All Gresh does is just grunt and yell. He almost never has anything important to say. Zolak is ok when they have Dan Shanesy on I listen or when Tanguay is on instead of Gresh I listen.

After that the big show and Felger and Mazz are a toss up. Depending on the day I listen. Felger is really annoying but sometimes entertaining. He has perfected that I'm always going against the grain schitk. So he's hit or miss.

I really like DA for some reason and I listen a little more then to Mikey Adams on WEEI. But throughout a day I say I listen on whole about 75% 98.5. :rocker:

Does that with the Pats/Sox. But with the Bruins he is actually damn good and ahead of most people on moves. He said 2 years ago that Raask would be over Thomas and the contract would kill the Bruins and he was right. He has been damn accurate with the Bruins.

Checking into WEEI right now is the exact reason I hate the Big Show. Right now they have a moronic Jets fan making stupid arguments and the only reason he is on the air is so Big O, DeOssie, and Curran to easily shoot down his arguments and ridicule him. The call screener should never let a guy like this on the air, but I think they actually put guys like this to the front of the line.

It's not that I care for Felger and Mazz (in fact, I have been frustrated with Felger's "there is no real cap and there never will be" rant that he has been on the last six months), but I am tired of the same crap that Big O has been doing for a decade now. I want intelligent sports talk not moron Patriots (or Sox or Celtics or Bruins) haters put on to dumb down the show and make Ordway feel superior buy out arguing the mentally challenged.

Exactly. Felger is a major DB who you can tell doesn't actually believe half the crap that comes out his mouth. He says it knowing it will piss people off. But they are by far the lesser of two evils.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Does that with the Pats/Sox. But with the Bruins he is actually damn good and ahead of most people on moves. He said 2 years ago that Raask would be over Thomas and the contract would kill the Bruins and he was right. He has been damn accurate with the Bruins.

Yeah he's a hockey guy but to be honest I'm not into hockey so when they get to deep in hockey I usually change the channel :singing:

C'mon, I have spent the last few weeks blasting Felger for his endless rants about the salary cap, rehashing the value crap, still crying over Deion Branch and Asante Samuel, etc. and you are still accusing me of being a 98.5 rump swab? I think both stations leave something to be desired. I just hate WEEI more than 98.5. Ain't no praise of 98.5.

That is so close to my exact thoughts I'd suspect you live inside my head. Except for the "Felger is annoying" thing. I find Felger refreshing and unique and whether people like him or not, the guy hits on way more than he misses on. I though that when EEI Fired Shephard that the intelligence level would rise due to addition by subrtaction but it didn't happen. I just can't stand the Big Show most of the time mostly because they cut off callers and they get into their screaming goons thing and it's aggravating to listen to.

Listening to Mikey Adams talk anything but Red Sox is worse than nails on a chalk board and his Red Sox stuff is close to that so to me he's useless.

Too bad cos I like Lenny Maggs whom he has on as a guest quite a bit but Mikey's schtick wore off for me 10 years ago.

In summation.. 98.5 Is by far a much better product overall IMO.

Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Actually it is not nonsense. They talk more Pats/Bruins than Sox. What station do you listen to more? I do not listen to EEI at all so I will not comment on them

Last edited:
C'mon, I have spent the last few weeks blasting Felger for his endless rants about the salary cap, rehashing the value crap, still crying over Deion Branch and Asante Samuel, etc. and you are still accusing me of being a 98.5 rump swab? I think both stations leave something to be desired. I just hate WEEI more than 98.5. Ain't no praise of 98.5.

Rob, let's not kid. You've been all over 98.5's jock from even before the beginning. It's not surprising that Felger is wearing on you given your perspective as a fan, yet you're still adamantly defending that show in general. What I do find amusing about reading the WEEI bashing threads is that the homers are the ones railing against WEEI for the 'lack' of Patriots coverage, yet Felger is:

The worst on-air personality on either station and, probably, the least knowledgeable

Reliably anti-Patriots in his specific takes

Frequently chuckling as he makes his anti-Patriots comments, knowing that they are going to bring out the lunatic fringe.

Not bashing the lunatic fringe when they call him, because he's agreeing with them

Meanwhile, the show that's far more "homer" is on WEEI. It has more detailed Patriots talk with the only real "X's and O's" talk on either station during the afternoon drive (not that there's much of it on WEEI either). It has days specifically dedicated to Patriots talk during the season. Also, it has the guests like BB, Brady, Wilfork, Warren (when he was healthy), etc... along with a new guest host in Troy Brown.

In short, you've all got it ass-backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye