PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ex-WEEI Pete Sheppard to host a show on Patriots.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually it is not nonsense. They talk more Pats/Bruins than Sox. What station do you listen to more? I do not listen to EEI at all so I will not comment on them

It is nonsense.

Rob, let's not kid. You've been all over 98.5's jock from even before the beginning. It's not surprising that Felger is wearing on you given your perspective as a fan, yet you're still adamantly defending that show in general. What I do find amusing about reading the WEEI bashing threads is that the homers are the ones railing against WEEI for the 'lack' of Patriots coverage, yet Felger is:

The worst on-air personality on either station and, probably, the least knowledgeable

Reliably anti-Patriots in his specific takes

Frequently chuckling as he makes his anti-Patriots comments, knowing that they are going to bring out the lunatic fringe.

Not bashing the lunatic fringe when they call him, because he's agreeing with them

Meanwhile, the show that's far more "homer" is on WEEI. It has more detailed Patriots talk with the only real "X's and O's" talk on either station during the afternoon drive (not that there's much of it on WEEI either). It has days specifically dedicated to Patriots talk during the season. Also, it has the guests like BB, Brady, Wilfork, Warren (when he was healthy), etc... along with a new guest host in Troy Brown.

In short, you've all got it ass-backwards.

Once the Patriots Monday EEI contract runs out I would bet it ends up 98.5 and those guest will no longer be on EEI. If you think those guys on EEI because they want be you are wrong. They go where they are told to go.

Last edited:
Rob, let's not kid. You've been all over 98.5's jock from even before the beginning. It's not surprising that Felger is wearing on you given your perspective as a fan, yet you're still adamantly defending that show in general. What I do find amusing about reading the WEEI bashing threads is that the homers are the ones railing against WEEI for the 'lack' of Patriots coverage, yet Felger is:

The worst on-air personality on either station and, probably, the least knowledgeable

Reliably anti-Patriots in his specific takes

Frequently chuckling as he makes his anti-Patriots comments, knowing that they are going to bring out the lunatic fringe.

Not bashing the lunatic fringe when they call him, because he's agreeing with them

Meanwhile, the show that's far more "homer" is on WEEI. It has more detailed Patriots talk with the only real "X's and O's" talk on either station during the afternoon drive (not that there's much of it on WEEI either). It has days specifically dedicated to Patriots talk during the season. Also, it has the guests like BB, Brady, Wilfork, Warren (when he was healthy), etc... along with a new guest host in Troy Brown.

In short, you've all got it ass-backwards.

BS! I have been anti WEEI for a long time, but not all that pro 98.5. The Big Show is the biggest waste of air on either station. They are radio for idiots. They are more interested in having the Dakotas from Braintree on who claim the Pats will only win one game so Big O can act smart in shooting down some of the most moronic antiPatriot arguments imaginable.

I never loved Felger. His contrarian rant doesn't bother me and most of his arguments don't. My problem is repeating the same arguments over and over which is his problem with his show.

Personally, if I had my way, I would fire most of the guys on both stations. Boston sports radio sets the bar really low to what is considered quality radio. The best thing that 98.5 did was give us choices and at least changed WEEI format a bit (like getting rid of 10 minute commercial breaks).

As for player interviews, I never listen to any of them other than Brady since Belichick doesn't let any of them say anything. I find them a waste of time. The only interviews I listen to on either station is when they bring in outside analysts to talk.

BTW, my dream sports station would be the Sirius NFL Radio guys doing an all Patriots show. They are true sports talk without the grab arse. DA is the closest thing to it, but he has become more schticky himself in recent months.

Last edited:
WEEI does get better guests. I will agree with that. But like I said too many hosts on power trips that just take a call then yell over that person bully them with the mute button and it turns into a scream fest. You rarely get that on the other station. And they cover a wider array of topics. I remember during the world cup they actually gave it some burn. But I do think they have done less red sox talk this year. But I don't think it's anything political like we don't cover red sox games so we not talking about it. I think it was because the red sox struggled so bad there is no need to talk about them as much now. Boston fans as a whole have already moved on to the pats. Red Sox talk is down but so is Red Sox TV ratings.

BS! I have been anti WEEI for a long time, but not all that pro 98.5. The Big Show is the biggest waste of air on either station. They are radio for idiots. They are more interested in having the Dakotas from Braintree on who claim the Pats will only win one game so Big O can act smart in shooting down some of the most moronic antiPatriot arguments imaginable.

I never loved Felger. His contrarian rant doesn't bother me and most of his arguments don't. My problem is repeating the same arguments over and over which is his problem with his show.

Personally, if I had my way, I would fire most of the guys on both stations. Boston sports radio sets the bar really low to what is considered quality radio. The best thing that 98.5 did was give us choices and at least changed WEEI format a bit (like getting rid of 10 minute commercial breaks).

As for player interviews, I never listen to any of them other than Brady since Belichick doesn't let any of them say anything. I find them a waste of time. The only interviews I listen to on either station is when they bring in outside analysts to talk.

BTW, my dream sports station would be the Sirius NFL Radio guys doing an all Patriots show. They are true sports talk without the grab arse. DA is the closest thing to it, but he has become more schticky himself in recent months.
So right. I think him beating a dead horse is more annoying then him always taking the opposite opinion of everything. I'm sick of him always talking about the Pats and the salary cap "hell" or him going on 5 minute rants about BC. What's his beef with Boston College? Just cause he couldn't get into the school? lol

I spend approximately 10 hrs a day in my car running IT service calls in Mass and NH and I listen predominantly to 98.5 now but flip back and forth now and again. Listening to EEI right now because I heard Deossi's voice and I like his takes on most stuff. I'm hearing the SOS as they've always done joking around like idiots and making fun of the false Pat Burns death report.

It's true that it's a choice between the lesser of two evils when it comes to EEI and 98.5 but It's painfully obvious that 98.5 is a better overall product.

I love Pete ...

Good to see your back Pete ... you turd ... ;););)

Nice explanation. You listen to eei more so how would you know what is taled about on Felger/Mazz?

I'm not sure what "explanation" you think was needed. You've made a couple of posts that aren't even close to being accurate and, not only that, that weren't on point with what the other poster and I were discussing. You also decided to pull coverage percentages out of thin air, and got them wrong by a country mile.

As for how I would know, what part of "Actually, I listen to both stations, to get multiple perspectives. I tend to rotate them around the commercial breaks" is somehow evidence of which station I listen to more?

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "explanation" you think was needed. You've made a couple of posts that aren't even close to being accurate and, not only that, that weren't on point with what the other poster and I were discussing. You also decided to pull coverage percentages out of thin air, and got them wrong by a country mile.

As for how I would know, what part of "Actually, I listen to both stations, to get multiple perspectives. I tend to rotate them around the commercial breaks" is somehow evidence of which station I listen to more?

So catching a 10 min segment here and there of Felger/Mazz make your more of an expert than I am who listens to the entire show from beginning to end? Ok buddy I get know more than anyone on this site I forgot. Funny thing is, no one agrees with you on here about coverage on 98.5. YOu said the talked all of August about the Red Sox which you were completely wrong about. Also in the month May and June they barely talked about the Sox. The talked about the Bruins/Celtics and Hall/Seguin,

I agree with Deus on the 98.5 coverage from my limited sample. A major disappointment for me except for Zo.

I enjoy listening to Troy Brown on EEI. And the Harrison interview was great. Asked about Randy not being team captain and how one year he wasn't captain he mentioned that he didn't deserve to be a captain because of his drug use. Went on to elaborate. D&H were flored by his frank, self-depricating response. Great radio.

So catching a 10 min segment here and there of Felger/Mazz make your more of an expert than I am who listens to the entire show from beginning to end? Ok buddy I get know more than anyone on this site I forgot. Funny thing is, no one agrees with you on here about coverage on 98.5. YOu said the talked all of August about the Red Sox which you were completely wrong about. Also in the month May and June they barely talked about the Sox. The talked about the Bruins/Celtics and Hall/Seguin,

1.)I'm not buying your assertion about what you're listening to, because you couldn't possibly make the claims about August that you have and have been listening to the 98.5 during that time. I noted that August was a consistent bash-fest. It was. They bagged on Beckett, they bagged on Papelbon ("elite closers don't lose more than 5 games in a season!"), ignoring the reality that Rivera has had seasons with 9,7 and 6 blown saves). They bagged on Theo/ownership for not making moves at the trade deadline, etc.... I'm sorry, but those things actually happened.

2.) I never said anything about a 10 minute segment "here and there".

1.)I'm not buying your assertion about what you're listening to, because you couldn't possibly make the claims about August that you have and have been listening to the 98.5 during that time. I noted that August was a consistent bash-fest. It was. They bagged on Beckett, they bagged on Papelbon ("elite closers don't lose more than 5 games in a season!"), ignoring the reality that Rivera has had seasons with 9,7 and 6 blown saves). They bagged on Theo/ownership for not making moves at the trade deadline, etc.... I'm sorry, but those things actually happened.

2.) I never said anything about a 10 minute segment "here and there".

1.)I never said they didn't. but the majority of the time was on the Pats.

2.) If you are rotating around commercials breaks you are missing chunks of the show at a time. Also I hope you not including the 6-7 period because that is not the Felger/Mazz show. That is the baseball show.

I just listen to NFL radio all the time and keep my Ipod updated with all the latest PFW radio shows. And I feel well informed about all things Patriots, normally no bullsh1t and no homering, just maybe some homoing.

Last edited:
How long before Brady gets a restraining order vs. Pete? Personally, I never liked the guy because I cannot stand homer radio.

He made a huge mistep going after his own show on 98.5. Now that 98.5 has overtaken WEEI in the key demo for sports radio (at least for August), he had nowhere to go since WEEI will never take him back and 98.5 doesn't need him. Patriots.com looks to be big step down for him. He probably should have stayed put at WEEI since if Felger and Mazz continue to beat Big O, there might be a shake up on that show.

For me homer radio would be a giant relief considering that most of the local sports guys are psychotically at war with certain Patriots such as BB and Moss. Go Pete!

So you like Felger? :eek:

So right. I think him beating a dead horse is more annoying then him always taking the opposite opinion of everything. I'm sick of him always talking about the Pats and the salary cap "hell" or him going on 5 minute rants about BC. What's his beef with Boston College? Just cause he couldn't get into the school? lol

Felger and all of these stations are terrible when it comes to college sports. If they'd wise up and understand that this is now ACC country with market penetration in Atlanta, Miami, Baltimore/Washington/Virginia and the Carolinas, of course, they might get it that BC has the potential to go really big in both football and basketball. Local media definitely hurts BC's basketball recruiting. Why else could a place like Clemson out-recruit Boston College in both sports?

Maybe this will never be a college sports town which is ironic since there are 77 colleges and universities inside 495.

Who cares? Pete the Meat has a job and can slobber all over Tom Brady while we watch!

Boston isn't a college sports town despite all its colleges for the same reason New York isn't a college sports town, despite all its colleges.

I think you know exactly what I mean.

Ah you WEEI fans how soon we forget!

Before The Sports Hub was on the air and after WEEI had killed the The Score RI sport station there was years of hell when the greedy owner of WEEI decided to gouge all money he could out of it because they had a monopoly.

WEEI was basically one just one big set of commercials with baseball jock sniffing in between. It would be 5-10 minutes of commercial and self promotions then a minute or two of complaining about Manny then back to 5-10 minutes of commercials and stupid announcer or political bantering. Then some discussion of preposterous baseball signing or trade and then a little more complaining about Manny and back to ten minutes of commercials. And then boring baseball contract talk. And this was during football season! It got so bad that the Patriots players such as Brady and Troy Brown complained about it.

WEEI is rotten right from the top but the wolf is wearing sheep's clothes now since they have competition but they still are loaded with commercials and crap like politics and other worthless banter. I will always hate them for exploiting the audience when they were the only sports station in town.

I am in the car all day and I generally have it on 98.5 most of the time. I like the big show when they have Smerlas and Deossie on, but other than that it's not great. The other day they had Bogus cohosting the big show.....what a choice, Bogus or Felger, I chose Felger. Dale and Holley are good, but for some reason I listen to Gresh and Zo more often than not....especially during Football season.

Sports radio in New England sucks. I absolutely despise it. The negativity and contrarianism makes me want to kill someone. When I'm back that way I'll given it a listen for a few minutes and then change it before I barf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back