ESPN's Michael Smith: Brady Is Not Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
ESPN's Michael Smith: Brady Is Not Clutch
By: Ian Logue

ESPN's Michael Smith Tweeted out an interesting video to us earlier this afternoon regarding Tom Brady's late game struggles over the past several seasons....

wake me up when Michael Smith writes a derogatory hit piece on "Mike!!!!!!" Vick...yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnn....

it's been like for 2 years..it use to be where he would have the ball with 1:30 or 2 min left and it was 90% a W..now..not so much

"Patsfans.com's Jackson 2: ESPN's Smith Not Credible" no difference.

Is Michael Smith that dopey looking sports presenter who squeals like a little girl when people dismiss his opinion on the ESPN shows?

I'm going to write a response that I hope ESPN posts right under this mutt's...

You know, it just occurred to me...Michael Vick has not been clutch since he got caught murdering dogs with all his friends, some of them well known professional sports writers...

a little symmetry for the FESPN crew, right?...why not...

This is the same info that was in the "Is Brady losing his magic?" thread:confused:

how's his rating with 6 minutes left? how about 10? 7.5 minutes? 2 minutes? how about his rating in the middle of the second quarter? Numbers don't lie but they sure do skew things a bit to bolster an argument that's for sure.

Last edited:
I don't think it's lack of being clutch as it is stupidity of play calling near the end of games. Brady's weakness has been for some time now the blitz ... especially up the middle. So why doesn't our play calling take that into consideration near the end of games.

Whatever happened to the screen pass as a weapon to offset the blitz. given even a half tick less time than normal Brady still is clutch ... but we need to cover his weaknesses a bit better - he is human and I think sometimes Belichick forgets that.

Last edited:
I guess no one remembers the games he won late in the game last year. He has a couple bad 4th quarter games and hes no longer clutch? Is he supposed to win every game in the last two minutes.

A couple thoughts come to mind.

1. The Cleveland Browns are tops in the league in this stat. They blow fewer 4th qtr. leads than any other team.

2. The Patriots defense does blow a lot of 4th qtr. leads.

and Michael Smith would blow bubbles to fill Brady's jacuzzi if only he could get the job as poolboy...Smith is an inconsequential turd floating in the FESPN bowl

1. The Cleveland Browns are tops in the league in this stat. They blow fewer 4th qtr. leads than any other team.

Whats a lot, they've lost 8 games in the last 2 1/2 years, how many did the defense give up at the end other than the Seattle game?

Last edited:
Once upon a time, Brady was the most clutch QB in the game. Jets fans think Sanchez has a supernatural ability to win playoff games. Does the "clutch gene" exist or is it a media talking point on ESPN?

cmasspatsfan said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstater1

Whats a lot, they've lost 8 games in the last 2 1/2 years, how many did the defense give up at the end other than the Seattle game?

well...defense gave up 10 to Baltimore...but that had a bit to do with regs extending drives on bogus calls. and the offense stalling.

defense gave up basically nothing to the cardinals though. they were clutch there. the offense/st struggled though (playcalling was badd too...wasting time to set up fg rather than using it to get closer/score)

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

...and it will be NE in the SB once again with Brady carrying a subpar D.

I hate these ******ed outrageous comments from idiots who make them just for the sake of making them.

The defensive secondary is the only clutch less thing on this team

You say Tom Brady isn't cluch? OH YEAH?!! Well you're a stupidhead!!!!

In the world of sports mediots, any publicity is good publicity.. wonder how many facebook or twitter followers he got from this "message"....

Well, not to be a smartass but there are 2 really big SB games that immediately come to mind that would have given them 2 more rings and 2 more duckboat parades....

So far in this season alone through 6 games the defense has allowed at least 2 more that I can think of, both to Baltimore and Seattle.

There was certainly the late game heroics of Eli Manning here in Foxborough in the regular season last year too, which was pathetic as well.

So far we're up to 50% of their losses (4) in the past 2 years right off the top of my head. Since it's 6 am here I'm not going to go back through every single one of their losses since the start of the 2010 season though.

I think it's great that we've only lost 8 games in the past 2 1/2 seasons, but the defense needs to be accountable for allowing way too many 4th quarter points too, which has become an alarming trend.

Too many 4th quarter points have equaled all 3 of our losses so far this year, the past 3 NYG games (2 of which were SB's), and the playoff loss to the NYJ in the 2010 postseason; so that would be 7 out of the last 8 losses.

The only game where giving up too many 4th quarter pts really didn't seem to matter much was the Steeler game last year which was a 25-17 loss.

As a defense, they need to stop allowing 4th quarter pts late in games, and it won't force Brady into having to overcome insane obstacles to try and win in clutch situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3