PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Ombudsman to investigate ESPN's coverage of Spygate [June Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I guess the question is simple:

When will ESPN be airing the Sportscenter Special "ESPN and Spygate: How we screwed the pooch"?

I dont think in that will ever happen....unfortunately, the talking heads at ESPN will keep on saying they were right all along and never listen to the fact that all of this fiasco was way over blown and a waste of good sports journalistic talent.

I think she did a pretty good job simply in getting them to admit they screwed up and their formats has been and to some extent will continue to be a prescription for more of the same.
Her suggestion that they have a reporter on set presumes they too don't fall into the same trap. Clayton fell into line even knowing that we were not using tape in game and even though he went on record with Felger in September that at least 3 OTHER teams were. What they need is accountability and more intelligent and insightful talent across the board, from anchors to analysts, and that ain't gonna happen because the demographic they pander to for 90% of their ratings has no use for that. Rapid fire delivery of soundbites and snipets and snappy and irreverant or inflamatory opinion is what SportsCenter is built around.

She missed the mark on Fish and Easterbrook IMO. Fish is supposed to be an investigative reporter for cripes sakes. Why didn't he investigate rather than hovering on Walsh's doorstep for months like some lovestruck fanboy? It was always as if they didn't really want to know the truth, they just desperately wanted a walkthrough tape to somehow be at the core of it. And Easterbrooke is certainly entitled to his opinion. However, when he calls taping signals nothing in the wishful presence of a potential walkthrough tape and then when it doesn't materialize calls for a head coaches suspension for something he's already characterized as "nothing" and for which said HC was fined half a million dollars, that is allowing agenda driven BS to masquerade as opinion.

She said way too little and it came far too late.

Of course Fespn has buried it so far...who reads an Ombudsman anyway??

Fespn lost it's way and sold out for ratings.

They became the story and never really reported it. I am certain they knew exactly what they were doing and enjoyed all of the website hits and eyes tuned to their station.

What they do not understand and maybe in time they will, but their credibility is forever shot. I watch sports all the time....all sports as often as I can. Fespn used to be my #1 source. I used to go to their website all the time. I used to buy their magazine and I was an insider.

Now, I only go to Fespn when I have no alternative.

Yes, I added a letter to their name - the letter "F" as in Fespn. Trust me the "F: is not for fair.

It's nice to see some criticism from her, even though she lets off Easterbrook for his hyprocrisy, whiich I also wrote to her about.

What is most infuriating though is that at least a good deal of the lapse in journalistic ethics is brushed off in reporting that "Hey, the format was bad, we are changing it, and that should fix things"

That's like when you find out that your blind date is a fat pig, but are told that you should give her another chance since she is applying new lipstick.

Pigs with lipstick are still pigs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3438752

I'm not sure if she fully addressed the outstanding issues or just picked and chose certain aspects to address

But this passage jumped out at me as something that should have been begging for more of a serious reaction:

So apparently these supposedly knowledgeable commentators - not to mention the ombudsman herself who has had ample time to research this issue - can't contemplate the fact that it is humanly impossible to tape form all those multiple locations and viewpoints, edit all the video in, perfectly synchronized with audio and signal calls, let alone analyze it and convey it to the team in a new game scheme in time for second have adjustments or "during the course of the game" as they say?

I wouldn't want to come down to ESPN's level but at this point I'd say there is ample evidence that everyone at ESPN has an IQ equal to their age - either that or there an agenda of ignoring the facts and common sense in favor of hyperbolic headlines.

And how strongly has ESPN been rattling the cages regarding the actual ADMITTED cheating by NBA officials?

The ombudsperson is there to determine journalistic standards. She's not an investigative reporter herself. She is there to determine whether the reporter's claims met the standard. When she quotes Walsh as saying the tapes were never used in game in the next paragraph, she basically proves that Schlereth and Carter did NOT meet the standards.

Therefore she did her job. No further research into the tapes was necessary.

As I stated before; apologies on page 10 in small font.... DONT IMPRESS ME MUCH.

The article is already buried in the OMBUDSMAN ARCHIVES: rather than being shown as the CURRENT OMBUDSMAN ARTICLE on her page. Which explain to me "how many" espn.com home page visitors even know is one of the down-links?

Then the summary of the article, WHICH NORMALLY WOULD BE WRITTEN TO ENTICE SOMEONE'S INTEREST...... reads as follows...

Schreiber: Too much hot air on hot topics
The prospect of saying goodbye to "SportsCenter Specials," writes the ombudsman, means ESPN can stop asking its on-air talent to fill five gallons of airtime with a half-pint of breaking news.
Le Anne Schreiber, ESPN Ombudsman | 15 hours ago

Ok, so where in those 2 sentences do you see ANY RELATION TO SPYGATE or the PATRIOTS????????

If someone in a drunken websearchin stupor is lucky enough to click onto the ombudsman page; do you think they will honestly find the article interesting or realize it has anything at all to do with spygate?

And on the HOME PAGE hers is the VERY LAST LINK; bottom left and here is what it says there;

Le Anne Schreiber: Ombudsman
Schreiber: Coloring outside the lines | Corrections | Report error

the link by the way goes to her MAY 15th ARTICLE; and not to the current most recent article.

Re: ESPN Ombudsman to investigate ESPN's coverage of Spygate

I'm sorry, but what is an Ombudsman? And if she works for ESPN, why would she be objective?

Ombudsmen are brought in for the very point of their objectivity. They usually have some sort of Mediation or Collaborative Law background.

In truth, an Ombudsman almost HAS to find a flaw in an organization somewhere, from time to time, or the question will ultimately arise, "Why do we need this person here?"

It's like an auditor. They come in once a year and they really should find SOMETHING to improve upon or why have them?

I am not sure how a news organization works, though. They may want one on hand all the time to maintain objectivity. (Not to mention, if you even want to call ESPN a "news" organization!)

Last edited:

While it was mildly refreshing to see her take ESPN to task for their ridiculously over-the-top coverage of the Matt Walsh story, it was ultimately disappointing that she let the network off the hook for it's terribly biased coverage. She could have/should have come down much harder on Wingo, Carter and Schlereth for their shameful performances on the day of the Matt Walsh meeting. And somehow that scumbag Mike Fish get's off with barely a mention by one of his supervisors on how things "didn't pan out".

It is obvious that the Patriot's brand has taken a major PR blow and most of it can be traced back to this lousy network and it's roster of buffoons. Just look at the thread from earlier today about the Pat's question on "JEOPARDY".

The revolting innuendo that ESPN has been forcing down the throats of the public has been accepted as fact.

What he said.
The running theme, summarized by the title itself, was ultimately placing blame the network for continuing to force those poor commentators to beat a dead horse for 2 hours, while they awaited GODell's pc. While I agree with her assessment about the network and the buck always stopping at the top, she also managed to portray those 3 as some kind of "victims", which is total bs. Poor Trey valiantly attempting to gain control over Schlerer and Carter... Puh-lease.

Wingo didn't make any attempt to rein anything in until at least an hour or so into the show, which is when he finally began reminding viewers that it was, after all, OPINION.

There's no excuse for how they handled it, and for her to tuck it all under the umbrella of poor network judgement is ludicrous. She must have missed the first hour of the show; those 3 were absolutely drooling, and Wingo himself tried to argue with John Clayton who, oddly enough, was the only voice of reason in the group.

The network loved it, the Pats-hating viewers (who probably outnumber Pats-loving viewers right about now) ate it up,and in the end that show became instrumental in fueling the unbelievable backlash that's resulted since Goodell announced that Spygate was essentially over. Not exactly the reaction that should have resulted.

This is the second time ESPN's fanned the fires, and nobody will convince me it wasn't contrived. They're well aware of their influence, and I'll never believe they had NO idea Specter would be chiming in soon. Little s* stirrers:mad:

I can't swear to it but weren't Wingo and Co's closing words something to the effect of Goodell letting them off easy, or using the tapes during the game? I forget exactly-all I know is that crew never let up until the final credits rolled.

She does mention that PTI immediately followed, and cited Korn and Wilbon's brief remarks. To her credit, she also notes the imbalance of time alloted to PTI's stance vs the all day affair that belonged to The 3 Stooges.
The irony is, she devotes paragraph after paragraph to ESPN et al's explanations, but gives only brief mention to Pats fans' statements.

I don't mean to be negative because I'm happy to see her report and to see it get some press from us and PFT. She probably did a good job within her scope of practice and I totally agree with her presentation on the Joey Porter interview too, but I can't say I'm satisfied, that's for sure. :mad:

... Remember, the Patriots are known for only talking to those reporters they like, so the rest of the commentators are left speculating about what might-have-been. A more open interview policy might result in more balanced reporting.

Yes their skirt is short, they were asking for it.

I highly recommend you find a busy street to play in at night in dark clothing.

Ombudsmen are brought in for the very point of their objectivity. They usually have some sort of Mediation or Collaborative Law background.

In truth, an Ombudsman almost HAS to find a flaw in an organization somewhere, from time to time, or the question will ultimately arise, "Why do we need this person here?"

It's like an auditor. They come in once a year and they really should find SOMETHING to improve upon or why have them?

I am not sure how a news organization works, though. They may want one on hand all the time to maintain objectivity. (Not to mention, if you even want to call ESPN a "news" organization!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organizational_ombudsman
Not that Wik is the end-all source but it's quick, and they put quite a bit of info into the original "ombudsman" link so it's pretty informative.
It's interesting how the position of ombudsman is growing in leaps and bounds-I personally know quite a few organizations who've made conflict management/ resolution a focus, and have hired or trained HR people to fufill that role when necessary.

Really? I thought he left espn due to frustration with what he could and could not write. PFT would not be as popular with tighter editorial control of the content. And if espn really wanted to, they could launch their own copy-cat version without having to pay Florio for PFT.

I heard it would be buying the site, name, etc. but not Florio. I don't know, but you go to PFT and it would redirect you to an ESPN thing or something. Like I said I forgot where I read this so I might be pulling a Tomasse.:)

Last edited:

While it was mildly refreshing to see her take ESPN to task for their ridiculously over-the-top coverage of the Matt Walsh story, it was ultimately disappointing that she let the network off the hook for it's terribly biased coverage. She could have/should have come down much harder on Wingo, Carter and Schlereth for their shameful performances on the day of the Matt Walsh meeting. And somehow that scumbag Mike Fish get's off with barely a mention by one of his supervisors on how things "didn't pan out".

It is obvious that the Patriot's brand has taken a major PR blow and most of it can be traced back to this lousy network and it's roster of buffoons. Just look at the thread from earlier today about the Pat's question on "JEOPARDY".

The revolting innuendo that ESPN has been forcing down the throats of the public has been accepted as fact.

I'm not advocating destroying private property, but when ESPN does Monday Night Football in Foxboro do they have a clearly marked truck in the parking lot? Are their cables clearly marked or will the radio broadcast be in peril too? Is their an electrocution hazard just cutting the cables without insulated gloves? Do the TV guys have separate room in the press box, or would Gil and Geno smell the stink bomb too?

Too early for snowballs, will tomatoes be rotting enough to burst and be a sticky mess but still be solid enough to be thrown?

Last edited:
Will Pats haters at ESPN be DISCIPLINED or FIRED as a result of this investigation OR is it a BS 'fair and balance' report?

Will we see a 'SORRY PATS' article from ESPN like the one we read at Herald newspaper?

It is BS.
10 char.

The ombudsperson is there to determine journalistic standards. She's not an investigative reporter herself. She is there to determine whether the reporter's claims met the standard. When she quotes Walsh as saying the tapes were never used in game in the next paragraph, she basically proves that Schlereth and Carter did NOT meet the standards.

Therefore she did her job. No further research into the tapes was necessary.

In a nutshell I take issue with her using Walsh's statement to illustrate why their comments were wrong.

Given the nature of the tapes, whether Matt Walsh confirms knowledge of how the tapes were or weren't used is irrelevant.

Clearly Schlereth and Carter lack the very basic intelligence to know that such an intricately edited tape, combining so many sources of footage and audio, put together in such comprehensive fashion cannot be assembled, viewed and analyzed and implemented in mere minutes.

If ESPN's standards are to have imbeciles read the news that's fine - but idiotic and ignorant comments such as that - regardless of what Matt Walsh said - cannot be allowed.

The only educated comment they could have - or should have made - upon seeing the tape is "Wow - such detailed editing of that much footage proves it wasn't used during the game." Instead they stated the exact opposite, proving their idiocy and ignorance.

That's why she addressed the comments in the context of the additional statement by Matt Walsh - because to address the comments for what they were would acknowledge that ESPN employes on air personalities who are less knowledgeable than the casual fan who hope will tune in.

So in my opinion she went out of her way to avoid addressing the issue of journalistic integrity.

Last edited:
Well Scheiber's column is on the front page on ESPN, but the content of the article is definitely hidden. Here is the blurb they have associated with it:

The prospect of saying goodbye to SportsCenter Specials, writes the Ombudsman, means ESPN can stop asking its on-air talent to fill five gallons of airtime with a half-pint of breaking news.

Not exactly the cusp of what she is actually arguing, but at least it is on the front page of ESPN. So they buried it without burying it.

I just wrote her and sent her FRAME....will be interesting to see her response.

Great idea! I'm looking forward to her response.

In a nutshell I take issue with her using Walsh's statement to illustrate why their comments were wrong.

Given the nature of the tapes, whether Matt Walsh confirms knowledge of how the tapes were or weren't used is irrelevant.

Clearly Schlereth and Carter lack the very basic intelligence to know that such an intricately edited tape, combining so many sources of footage and audio, put together in such comprehensive fashion cannot be assembled, viewed and analyzed and implemented in mere minutes.

If ESPN's standards are to have imbeciles read the news that's fine - but idiotic and ignorant comments such as that - regardless of what Matt Walsh said - cannot be allowed.

The only educated comment they could have - or should have made - upon seeing the tape is "Wow - such detailed editing of that much footage proves it wasn't used during the game." Instead they stated the exact opposite, proving their idiocy and ignorance.

That's why she addressed the comments in the context of the additional statement by Matt Walsh - because to address the comments for what they were would acknowledge that ESPN employes on air personalities who are less knowledgeable than the casual fan who hope will tune in.

So in my opinion she went out of her way to avoid addressing the issue of journalistic integrity.

Matt Walsh's comments are totally relevant to this.

Because otherwise, they have nothing to go on in their claims.

What evidence are they basing their claims on?

Only Matt Walsh's claims could provide any basis for speculation.

Matt Walsh's comments are totally relevant to this.

Because otherwise, they have nothing to go on in their claims.

What evidence are they basing their claims on?

Only Matt Walsh's claims could provide any basis for speculation.

You're overlooking the fact that they admit they weren't basing their speculation on Matt Walsh's claims. They come right out and acknowledge that their "claims" were fueled by seeing the tapes:

Before seeing the tapes, they weren't sure what benefit they might have, but when they saw the way it matched up -- with down and distance on the scoreboard, the coaches' signals and the formation all matched up -- they both were thinking, 'Holy Cow!'"

Fueled by that emotion, Schlereth imagined how such tapes might affect the outcome if film was shot, edited and utilized "during the course of a game" -- a practice Patriots coach Bill Belichick had consistently denied since last September, and for which there was no evidence. Never mind. The mere possibility that tapes could have been shot and used during a given game, with likely "amazing" effect on game outcome, got Schlereth and then Carter so riled up that pretty soon they had convinced themselves of the virtual certainty of their speculation.

The point is anyone - and espcially a panel of ESPN "experts" - should have had the exact opposite reaction to the tape as they did.

Has anyone put forth a theory as to how such footage can be gathered, refined, edited together, synced up, analyzed, adapted to a game plan, and disseminated to players in mere minutes so as to be "utilized in the course of the game"?

This is what she hits Clayton on as well.

Once they saw the tape it should have been clear that they were not utilized during the course of the game. How could there be any question? Matt Walsh's comment that it was not used during the course of the game just confirmed what should have been obvious.

So while the tapes were visible proof they were not used "during the course of the game" to any knowledgable individual - for ESPN they actually "fueled speculation" that they were used in the course of the game and could have affected the outcome of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News