PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Ombudsman to investigate ESPN's coverage of Spygate [June Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: ESPN Ombudsman to investigate ESPN's coverage of Spygate

Anything ever happen with this?

From her archives it looks like she writes about once a month around the middle of the month so I'd expect we'd see something from her on Spygate in the next week or so...

I'm sorry, but what is an Ombudsman? And if she works for ESPN, why would she be objective?

An ombudsman, when a topic gets quiet, stir it up again by calling out "journalists". That way "pundits" can milk the story for another week by referring to the ombudsman.

Oh, that is the ESPN version.

Is anyone stupid enough to believe this will change the Mikey Mouse "news" channel.

(Hey, I always preferred Warner Brothers to Disney, pity about ABC...)

Last edited:

An Ombudsman is an independent representative of the people. Her job is to police ESPN's coverage and point out lies, biased journalism, misinformation, etc. She is not beholding to ESPN and has blasted them on numerous occassions. She has called out Easterbrook as a Belichick hater and questioned his involvement in the original Mike Fish article on Matt Walsh.

Here is what she wrote February 10th about the Matt Walsh information:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3240223

And that changed things SO much.:)

An ombudsman, when a topic gets quiet, stir it up again by calling out "journalists". That way "pundits" can milk the story for another week by referring to the ombudsman.

Oh, that is the ESPN version.

Is anyone stupid enough to believe this will change the Mikey Mouse "news" channel.

(Hey, I always preferred Warner Brothers to Disney, pity about ABC...)

I will never believe that the Mikey Mouse "news" channel will change. I mean its been a while since any one mentioned the fiasco we all call Spygate....time to bring it up again and stir the pot....

What a waste of journalism....

it is no longer a total lack or respect i have for espn and everyone that works there...i have had that for years....now it is a major psychotic f------ hatred

Just ESPN. Boy I pity you. ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney also owns ABC. Boycott channel 5 WCVB.:) Heck, write them a letter holding them responsible for not having "freindly" interviews where they point out Young and Schlereth's hypocrisies via ambush.

Reflecting on this media witch hunt for something that coaches and league executives are increasingly admitting is being done by all teams, I think we need a catchall term to describe their scandalous behavior

Howabout - "Spygate-gate"?

ESPN-gate

10ch.

Last time it was displayed pretty prominently. She also emails everyone who's contacted her. I assume that means someone like Florio would be able to post it and run with it, whether or not ESPN tried to bury it or not.

Florio is trying to sell PFT to ESPN.

I sent an e-mail to Le Anne Schreiber about Gregg Easterbrook's obvious hypocrisy in his latest column. She responded back to me last night. Here is her short and sweet response:

Shouldn't this be in the whining thread?

Here it is

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3438752

Personally, I think it was a passive slap in the face for ESPN

I violated my own rule about never clicking on an ESPN link because I know it'll be factless before reading it.

I read it and replied thusly:
Weak at best.

Until Disney Sells ESPN and major house cleaning takes place the network has 0 creditability. Good bye.

Here it is

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=3438752

Personally, I think it was a passive slap in the face for ESPN

It wasn't an indictment of Greg Esterbrook. She primarily said that the medium itself creates situations where time has to be filled with the opinions of commentators. Remember, the Patriots are known for only talking to those reporters they like, so the rest of the commentators are left speculating about what might-have-been. A more open interview policy might result in more balanced reporting.

Florio is trying to sell PFT to ESPN.

That is just a rumor. Besides, it hasn't stopped Florio from bashing ESPN in recent weeks. He bashed ESPN for running with the AP stupid story misquoting Brady and then changing the story without a retraction of any sort.

Florio has or at least had a lot of bad blood with ESPN. He feels he got a raw deal when he worked for ESPN and clearly does not like some of their staff (Len Pasquerelli in particular). I don't see him wanting to work for ESPN again since they forced him to not run the type of stories that they run on PFT for fear of legal repercussions and pissing off sources for their legitimate journalists. Besides, ESPN has Hashmarks with Matt Mosely which is their watered-down version of PFT.

It wasn't an indictment of Greg Esterbrook. She primarily said that the medium itself creates situations where time has to be filled with the opinions of commentators. Remember, the Patriots are known for only talking to those reporters they like, so the rest of the commentators are left speculating about what might-have-been. A more open interview policy might result in more balanced reporting.

The Patriots don't limit access, they hold press conferences and anyone can ask a question. Granted the Patriots don't feed the morons with the questions intended to bait them or give private interviews to reporters that speculate to create headlines.

The latest incident with Brady and his ankle, the AP reporter misinterpreted a joke as fact ..... or did they. It generated lots of hits and the sponsors of those web sites paid for those hits. Then all of a sudden, opps, sorry, honest mistake, do those sponsors get their money back, nope.

Now much of what I said in that last paragraph was insanely speculative and moronic, but that's what the press has become. Their biggest concern, generate attention, not report true facts. This is why the press as a whole will never get an open book with the Patriots, who knows what simple things will be spun into to generate readership !

Another example ? How about the report that there was a second Patriot that was connected to the guy who sold drugs to Kaczur, that was the headline ! Wiggins is an ex Patriot and knew this guy when they were CHILDREN !!

Your comment they should open up to the press to avoid these things, is naive. By opening up more, their exposing themselves, not gonna happen.

I do think overall, Schreiber article was pretty tough on ESPN (you are not going to get an Ombudsman to display moral outrage), but she did give Easterbrok a free pass. My beef with him (which I wrote to Ms. Schreiber in my letter to her) was that in February he claimed taping signals was no big deal because he assumed Walsh had the tape of the walkthrough and when Walsh didn't produce the tape of the walkthrough Easterbrook called the taping of signals and Belichick's subsequent actions worthy of a lifetime ban. She definitely dropped the ball on that one.

The Patriots don't limit access, they hold press conferences and anyone can ask a question. Granted the Patriots don't feed the morons with the questions intended to bait them or give private interviews to reporters that speculate to create headlines.

The latest incident with Brady and his ankle, the AP reporter misinterpreted a joke as fact ..... or did they. It generated lots of hits and the sponsors of those web sites paid for those hits. Then all of a sudden, opps, sorry, honest mistake, do those sponsors get their money back, nope.

Now much of what I said in that last paragraph was insanely speculative and moronic, but that's what the press has become. Their biggest concern, generate attention, not report true facts. This is why the press as a whole will never get an open book with the Patriots, who knows what simple things will be spun into to generate readership !

Another example ? How about the report that there was a second Patriot that was connected to the guy who sold drugs to Kaczur, that was the headline ! Wiggins is an ex Patriot and knew this guy when they were CHILDREN !!

Your comment they should open up to the press to avoid these things, is naive. By opening up more, their exposing themselves, not gonna happen.

Your right about that. I dont think they will open themselves up to the press any more than they already do.

Belichick will do what he always does during press conferences and answer bluntly towards stupid questions and accusations.

It wasn't an indictment of Greg Esterbrook.

"I found it more significant that this time Easterbrook did not go beyond the known facts in building his argument.

This time, reader and commentator shared a level playing field of fact, which makes for a fair fight of opinion. That is very different from a commentator's adopting a there-are-things-I-know-that-you-don't stance toward his audience."

That's a direct swipe.

I agree with you on that she said that the medium itself creates situations where time has to be filled with commentator's opinions but I totally disagree with the point that a more open interview policy by the Patriots would create more balanced reporting. The Patriots are in the football business and their goal is to create an environment where the focus is singular, winning football games. It's not their responsibilty to make sure ESPN is reporting in a balanced manner, that's ESPN's responsibility as a sports news reporting organization. Saying less balanced reporting on this and other issues concerning the team are due to Patriots' policy is like saying a girl who dresses in a "provocative" manner is only asking for it.

I hope she buries Easterbrook and Fish specifically. Those two don't deserve jobs drawing stick figures with crayons for the local middle school newspaper.

Two words: F@#$ ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill