PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Mag says Ryan is better than BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
======================================

Ryan has always been complimentary to BB and the Pats. Calls him the best coach in the league I believe.

Yeah but he is one arogant SOB.

but even if he were humble we might respect him (and I will once he earns it) but we are not going to like him because he is jet.

rexrated.jpg

how any news outlet or anybody with half a brain can consider this unbelievably obnoxious, crass, bigmouthed neanderthal a better coach than five time Super Bowl ring owner Bill Belichick is almost beyond belief.

Ryan has always been complimentary to BB and the Pats. Calls him the best coach in the league I believe.

You arent really saying you believe its sincere are you?

For a head coach in the league to insult another head coach is to invite the wrath of the media and of that team's players on him.

No NFL head coach in their right mind would say anything but respect for the opposing coach no matter how badly he hates that coach's team. Ryan is doing his proper dog and pony show praise to BB just as BB does to him.

These list make me giggle inside, but once in a while they really irk me.

The Patriots had no business being 10-6 last year and definably wouldnt make it to the playoffs with a semi-rookie team, and the amount of injuries they had at QB, CB, WR, DL. I didnt know the truth of Bady's injuries or the extent of the other until after the season. It was a major accomplishment.

This is where I disagree with you. The Patriots definitely deserved to be 10-6 last year. Hopefully those personnel issues are fixed going into 2010 and we can improve on that record and advance past the first round of the playoffs.

This is where I disagree with you. The Patriots definitely deserved to be 10-6 last year. Hopefully those personnel issues are fixed going into 2010 and we can improve on that record and advance past the first round of the playoffs.

Frankly, whatever you label it, whether it was personel, confidence, coaching, conditioning, leadership, attitude, bad luck or whatever, they had every right to be 13-3 if they didnt do a 180 and play horribly in the 4th quarter after basically owning it for 10 years.

Frankly, whatever you label it, whether it was personel, confidence, coaching, conditioning, leadership, attitude, bad luck or whatever, they had every right to be 13-3 if they didnt do a 180 and play horribly in the 4th quarter after basically owning it for 10 years.

And they could have just as easily been 8-8 if Leodis McKelvin didn't make a boneheaded move and if Mark Clayton could have held on to an easy catch. Would of's and could of's aside, this was a 10-6 team with major holes on both sides of the ball that was blown out in the Wild Card round. As for 2010, I'm optimistic that we've filled most, if not all, of those holes.

And shows his respect by having two just-hired-ex-Pats-nonimpact-players come out as Jest captains against his first game against the Pats? yeah, right!

==============
You make a good point. But then again I saw it as gamesmanship, Rex trying to get in to the Pats heads. Not nesacarily a move motivated by disrespect or hate, more of a win at any cost attitude.

Yeah but he is one arogant SOB.

but even if he were humble we might respect him (and I will once he earns it) but we are not going to like him because he is jet.

==========================================

A fair statement.

rexrated.jpg

how any news outlet or anybody with half a brain can consider this unbelievably obnoxious, crass, bigmouthed neanderthal a better coach than five time Super Bowl ring owner Bill Belichick is almost beyond belief.

================================

Love ya Joker, most consistant poster on the board. :)

You arent really saying you believe its sincere are you?
========================================

Yes, I believe that Rex has great respect for BB and believes him to be the best active coach in the league, I mean who doesen't?

For a head coach in the league to insult another head coach is to invite the wrath of the media and of that team's players on him.

No NFL head coach in their right mind would say anything but respect for the opposing coach no matter how badly he hates that coach's team. Ryan is doing his proper dog and pony show praise to BB just as BB does to him.

=============================================

Why would Rex hate BB,, I don't know Rex any better then you and I find it hard to believe he would be that petty and jealous.

Why would Rex hate BB,, I don't know Rex any better then you and I find it hard to believe he would be that petty and jealous.

You need not hate someone to disrespect him.

Rex and BB, there story will continue to be very entertaining I hope.

Is it possible to have a lot of respect for someone and at the same time do things that are disrespectful to that same someone? I believe it is possible.

And they could have just as easily been 8-8 if Leodis McKelvin didn't make a boneheaded move and if Mark Clayton could have held on to an easy catch. Would of's and could of's aside, this was a 10-6 team with major holes on both sides of the ball that was blown out in the Wild Card round. As for 2010, I'm optimistic that we've filled most, if not all, of those holes.
Of course you could take any team in the NFL and give them 3 more wins or losses with what ifs.
What I was saying was that in all the years BB has been here we were something like 63-1 when we took a lead into the 4th quarter and we lost, I think 4 or 5 last year that we took a lead into the 4th quarter.
That is a hell of a lot more than a simple what if, or an excuse.
I wish I knew why, but whatever it is is at the heart of the problem.
That doesnt say we were better than a 10-6 team. It just says that if we hadn't lost that quality which was undeniable until last year we would have been. Closing out games is as much a part of being good as blocking, tackling, passing, coaching gameplanning or anything else.
Its an equal part of who they are/were.
I'm identifying it, not diminishing it.

Rex and BB, there story will continue to be very entertaining I hope.

Is it possible to have a lot of respect for someone and at the same time do things that are disrespectful to that same someone? I believe it is possible.

The praise isnt sincere when thefirst thing he does after being hired is throw a jab at BB.
The story may be 'entertaining' on your side, but there is no story on BBs side. Its just some loud mouthed guy who wants to talk himself into being treated like he has accomlished something and a guy who give a crap what Rex Ryan has to say.

When BB won SB XXXVI and was being called a genius, his response was "I don't know about that, Ive heard idiot next to Belichick more than Ive heard genius" That was AFTER winning the SB as HC in a game that was compared to his own game plan as DC of the Giants as the greatest coaching job in SB history.

Rex Ryan?
Abut Adalius Thomas "We would be #1 with him, and we would be #1 without him"
When the SB was awarded to NY 4 years from now "I can't believe we wont be in it"

There arent 2 more diametrically opposed people walking the planet.
One has enjoyed more success than any of his peers and deflects the creidt.
The other hasn't done anything but can't wait to take credit for doing it in the future.

It is literally the classiest winner in the NFL and the loudmouth boob who ultimately embarasses everyone associated with him. THAT is the entertainment.

Of course you could take any team in the NFL and give them 3 more wins or losses with what ifs.
What I was saying was that in all the years BB has been here we were something like 63-1 when we took a lead into the 4th quarter and we lost, I think 4 or 5 last year that we took a lead into the 4th quarter.
That doesnt say we were better than a 10-6 team. It just says that if we hadn't lost that quality which was undeniable until last year we would have been. Closing out games is as much a part of being good as blocking, tackling, passing, coaching gameplanning or anything else.

The inability to close out games certainly did add on to us being 10-6. That too was due to the said personnel issues as well as injuries (which have occured every season for us) and bad decisions made by the coaching staff.

The inability to close out games certainly did add on to us being 10-6. That too was due to the said personnel issues as well as injuries (which have occured every season for us) and bad decisions made by the coaching staff.

I think there is more to it though.
Impossible to put a finger on. I could understand going from one or twice a year to 4, or never to twice in a season. But to go from 1 in 10 years to 5 in one season........
I could speculate a lot of reasons, but I'd be totally guessing. (I would tend to blame part of it on Brady rust, and have to say the new OC had something to do with it bcause offensively we didnt look ourselves late in close game) Lets just hope they fix it.

The praise isnt sincere when thefirst thing he does after being hired is throw a jab at BB.
The story may be 'entertaining' on your side, but there is no story on BBs side. Its just some loud mouthed guy who wants to talk himself into being treated like he has accomlished something and a guy who give a crap what Rex Ryan has to say.

When BB won SB XXXVI and was being called a genius, his response was "I don't know about that, Ive heard idiot next to Belichick more than Ive heard genius" That was AFTER winning the SB as HC in a game that was compared to his own game plan as DC of the Giants as the greatest coaching job in SB history.

Rex Ryan?
Abut Adalius Thomas "We would be #1 with him, and we would be #1 without him"
When the SB was awarded to NY 4 years from now "I can't believe we wont be in it"

There arent 2 more diametrically opposed people walking the planet.
One has enjoyed more success than any of his peers and deflects the creidt.
The other hasn't done anything but can't wait to take credit for doing it in the future.

It is literally the classiest winner in the NFL and the loudmouth boob who ultimately embarasses everyone associated with him. THAT is the entertainment.

==============================================

I understand you do not like Rex Ryan, that is good, it's all part of the story line that I find so entertaining, it's really quite simple.

The NFL is like reality TV on steroids, so many stories.

There's a lot of talk about the Pats Fourth quarter "meltdowns" last year. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

We lost six games last year. Putting aside the Houston game, because of the Welker injury and the upcoming playoff game, that leaves five losses.

Let's face it, we were never in the NOL game, trailing by two TD's going into the fourth quarter.

We lost to the jets by only a TD, yes, but we didn't score in the entire second half, after leading by 9--6 at halftime and then giving up 10 in the third quarter and an FG in the 4th.

Similarly, the Pats didn't put a single point up in the entire second half against Denver either. Again, the issue was the entire half not a last minute crash.

The Indy game was just a great football game that can't be neatly categorized as a meltdown but as a game where Peyton got into a rhythm where he wasn't going to be denied if he had the ball. Even then, we came within inches of a different outcome on "Fourth and Two."

The only game where there was an indisputable "meltdown," IMO at least, in the fourth quarter was the Miami game.

That said, the pattern that's interesting to me is the difference between the first and second halves last year. I think this is what Tommy was talking about when he spoke of "mental toughness."

In 2009, the Pats outscored their opponents by 146 points in the first half (282--136).

But, in the second half, they scored roughly half as many points and were outscored by their opponents by a point (146--145). The D gave up virtually the same number of points in each half, but the offense was only 50% as productive.

The Pats quarter by quarter scoring last year was: 99, 183, 70, 75.

To me, this isn't a "fourth quarter meltdown" but a pattern of not coming out to play two halves; thus, I like Brady's use of the term "mental toughness" to describe it.

What do you all think?

It was an obvious problem on both sides of the ball last year. To me, it's fairly easy to explain:

1. Lack of on-the-field leadership
2. General inexperience at many key positions
3. A few poor coaching decisions

1. I believe that problem #1 is in better shape this year on defense. Re-signing Vince should give him the confidence to become a much more vocal presence this year, and he knows what he's doing. I don't think he is going to let the defense lose a step. Vince knows what it takes. Guys want to play for players like Vince... nothing commands respect like a 350 lb beast.

In addition to that, the team brought in leaders like Damion Lewis, Gerard Warren, and Brandon Spikes in addition to what we already have. It should feel like a different defense this year.

Offensively, all that needs to happen is Brady taking the reins more aggressively. I believe he is capable of leading the offense by himself when he's on point.

2. General inexperience--only thing that can solve this is more playing time. Another year in the system should help all of the young players.

3. Coaching problems--the Pats brought in Corwin Brown to give BB a former NFL player to back up what he says. That's important when Bruschi, Seymour, and Vrabel aren't there to do it anymore. I also believe BB knows he didn't have a great year last year and will make adjustments accordingly. And hopefully O'Brien has learned how to call plays.

I think there is more to it though.
Impossible to put a finger on. I could understand going from one or twice a year to 4, or never to twice in a season. But to go from 1 in 10 years to 5 in one season........
I could speculate a lot of reasons, but I'd be totally guessing. (I would tend to blame part of it on Brady rust, and have to say the new OC had something to do with it bcause offensively we didnt look ourselves late in close game) Lets just hope they fix it.

A rookie OC was just a small piece of the equation. We didn't look ourselves offensively all season. Brady's rust and inconsistency were also another part as was having Sam Aiken playing WR3. The O-Line's injuries often times forced the TE's we did have to stay back and block taking another option out of the passing game. On top of that, one of those TE's was Chris Baker who was far too slow to play TE at anything appoaching a decent level. So yes, this was a 10-6 team. They looked like a 10-6 team, played like a 10-6 team, and deserved to be a 10-6 team. Now let's hope the pieces that we've added will help us get over the hump in 2010. Like I said, I'm optimistic.

Ryan is an excellent DC ... however ... he should earn his rings before he is annointed.

Playcalling was not up to par for NEP in 2009 on both sides of ball. Hopefully that gets fixed this season.

Rexy Ryan's defensive strategy is reckless abandon, boom or bust.

If you're just taking the 2009 season, how can you argue that Ryan didn't do a better job? Sure, they made the playoffs because the Colts got scared and didn't want to risk being the second team to have an undefeated season only to lose in the super bowl.

But, this was BB's worst year since 2002/2005 season's. Their game plans were bad, their play calling was bad and it was embarrassing to see BB get out-coached by two rookie head coaches and some 2nd year coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3