PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Mag says Ryan is better than BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you let fans vote, New York will be in position to dominate.

Fixed. LA doesn't have a strong following for any team except maybe the Raiders. You come out here for one day and go to a public place, there's way more non-CA jerseys than any other thing. Granted there are the Raiders fans (usually the Mexican gangsters [not racism, just an observation]) but they don't have too strong of a following. Out of all my friends that watch football at sports bars, etc on monday night there's Two pats fans, a GB, STL, NO, SD, MIN,IND,CHI. LA is clearly a city of displaced fans when it comes to football.

Basketball is another story, every one is on the Laker bandwagon out here.

BB has 5 Super Bowl rings. Perhaps the other 2 don't mean much to you, but I think they're significant.

He has six rings...1 with the Dolts('76 as special assistant), 2 with the Giants('86 and '90 as Defensive Coordinator), and the three here.

Last edited:
I just thought I'd toss a few HC facts in here.

Interesting factoids:

--Every retired HC who has taken a team to four or more SB's or who has won three or more SB's is in the HOF.
--There are, however, several who have gone to three or who have won two who are not in Canton (just in case you're wondering what might be motivating Mike Shanahan).

Bottom Line: Bill Belichick is breathing the most rarefied of NFL air. Rex Ryan, today, would need an oxygen mask at Belichick's altitude.

There have been 44 Super Bowls

+++Super Bowls: Appearances as HC
--47 different HC's have taken a team to the Super Bowl as HC
--Of those 47, 28 have taken a team "only" once.
--Of the 19 who have taken a team to more than one SB:
*Eight have taken teams to a total of two SB's: Flores, Johnson, Lombardi (HOF), Seifert, Shanahan, Cowher, Stram (HOF), Vermeil
*Three have taken teams to a total of three SB's: Holmgren, Parcells, Walsh (HOF)
*Six have taken teams to a total of four SB's: Belichick, Gibbs (HOF), Grant (HOF), Levy (HOF), Noll (HOF)
*One has taken teams to a total of five SB's: Landry (HOF)
*One has taken teams to a total of six SB's: Shula (HOF)

+++Super Bowls: Wins as HC
--27 different HC's have won Super Bowls as HC
--Of those 27, 15 have won "only" one SB
--Of the 12 who have won more than one SB:
*Eight have won a total of two SB's: Shula (HOF), Landry (HOF), Parcells, Flores, Johnson, Lombardi (HOF), Seifert, Shanahan
*Three have won a total of three SB's: Belichick, Gibbs (HOF), Walsh (HOF)
*One has won a total of four SB's: Noll (HOF).

Last edited:
Who cares? :confused2:
ESPN is constantly doing these silly little lists to generate webhits/magazine sales/TV ratings. And to ensure the list does its job, they are sure to throw in one or two ridiculous entries so that everyone out in the sports world is talking about it.
:agree:

The way I see it, the intent most articles like this (which I admit, I haven't and won't read) is to elicit arousal, controversy, excitement of supporters and ire of detractors. Sometimes it can be entertaining, but in all cases, you're simply allowing yourself to be taken on a ride of the 'writer's' amusement. If you're down for a fun ride, that's cool - I just think its important to recognize the ride for what it really is.

Last edited:
I admit that I didn't read beyond the first post when I made my previous reply...
That pretty much explains it right there.
Yep!

Again........
Yep. :D

When you let fans vote, New York and L.A. will be in position to dominate.
Agreed.

Exactly now you are getting it.
Um...

I was "getting it" from the beginning.
Yep. :D

Because it's a ranking based upon feedback from the fans.
:ugh:

Great stuff. :D

The bored, f..ing mediots strike again.. wonder what they would do if they had to actually work for a living..

Bulletin Board Material..

He has six rings...1 with the Dolts('76 as special assistant), 2 with the Giants('86 and '90 as Defensive Coordinator), and the three here.

Um...no, he doesn't... He was with the Baltimore Colts in 1975. They did not go to a Superbowl. The following season Irsay fired Marchiborda and Bill went to Detroit. Marchibroda was rehired after the players threatened to mutiny, but neither Bill's old team nor his new team competed in a Superbowl...

He has 5 rings. All of which I might add he was instrumental in securing.

Last edited:
Um...no, he doesn't... He was with the Baltimore Colts in 1975. They did not go to a Superbowl. The following season Irsay fired Marchiborda and Bill went to Detroit. Marchibroda was rehired after the players threatened to mutiny, but neither Bill's old team nor his new team competed in a Superbowl...

I was going to say that the 6th ring was news to me.

RexLax talks more about Super Bowl rings and Championships. Surely, he is the all time leader in that category?

Am I correct thinking that of active HC in the NFL, there are only 6 Superbowl rings between 32, that have been won as a HC.

BB has 3 of them!

And clearly he isn't very good ;)

I could have sworn that was one of his stories that BSPN told about BB when he was coming into the league...what the hell was I thinking.

Last edited:
It's all just a editing error. The original story was that Rex Ryan was BIGGER than Coach B. :rofl:

The Colts didnt win a ring in 76, nor in 75 when BB was there

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I correct thinking that of active HC in the NFL, there are only 6 Superbowl rings between 32, that have been won as a HC.

BB has 3 of them!

something close to that was either true last year or is true now....I think it was true last year though....I think adding Peyton to the list and bringing back Shannahan changes that.

just thought it thru...

BB 3
tomlin 1
SHannahan 2
Peyton 1
Coughlin grrrr 1

think thats it though....more than a 1/3

Last edited:

BB has 3 of them!

That's why I like to show it that way. When you step back and look at what BB has accomplished in the context of the hundreds of guys who have been called "HC" of an NFL team over the years, it is beyond extraordinary. Think about it: only two coaches (Landry and Shula) have been to more SB's and only one (Noll) has won more. Add to that the fact that Belichick did it in the cap and Free Agent era and it's reasonable to make a case that he is the greatest Coach in the history of the league.

That's why I like to show it that way. When you step back and look at what BB has accomplished in the context of the hundreds of guys who have been called "HC" of an NFL team over the years, it is beyond extraordinary. Think about it: only two coaches (Landry and Shula) have been to more SB's and only one (Noll) has won more. Add to that the fact that Belichick did it in the cap and Free Agent era and it's reasonable to make a case that he is the greatest Coach in the history of the league.

I can support that. :cool:

something close to that was either true last year or is true now....I think it was true last year though....I think adding Peyton to the list and bringing back Shannahan changes that.

just thought it thru...

BB 3
tomlin 1
SHannahan 2
Peyton 1
Coughlin grrrr 1

think thats it though....more than a 1/3

Here are the 28 HC's who have taken a team to "only" one SB as HC:

Billick, Caldwell, Coughlin, Ditka (HOF, as TE), Dungy, Ewbank (HOF), Gruden, Madden (HOF), McCafferty, Switzer, Tomlin, Allen (HOF), Berry, Callahan, Fassel, Fisher, Fox, Gregg, Malavasi, Martz, Miller, Payton, Rauch, Reid, Ross, Smith, Whisenhunt, Wyche

Here are the 15 who have won "only" one SB as HC:

Holmgren, Cowher, Stram (HOF), Vermeil, Billick, Coughlin, Ditka (HOF, as TE), Dungy, Ewbank (HOF), Gruden, Madden (HOF), McCafferty, Switzer, Tomlin, Payton

These list make me giggle inside, but once in a while they really irk me.

The Patriots had no business being 10-6 last year and definably wouldnt make it to the playoffs with a semi-rookie team, and the amount of injuries they had at QB, CB, WR, DL. I didnt know the truth of Bady's injuries or the extent of the other until after the season. It was a major accomplishment.

When Payton was in the same situation in 2007-2008, except we didn't have a banged up QB - our WR core WAS lance moore and RB's were all hurt, we only managed 9-7, 8-8 and missed even a shot at the playoffs.

I agree that Rex did a great job, but they never take into account what the coach has to work with to win a game, they only focus on the signature players Welker.
I don't know about all the coaches in sports but I was ticked they didn't give Payton credit for producing a consistent offense in 2007-2008 with allot of injuries, and it ticks me off that BB is seeing the same. Except, unlike Payton,BB managed to actually get it done better, and put his team in the playoffs.

Putting Rex above BB, even just for last year, I think is ridicules, but thats ESPN for you. More power to them putting the cowboys at #2.

Last edited:
These list make me giggle inside, but once in a while they really irk me.

The Patriots had no business being 10-6 last year and definably wouldnt make it to the playoffs with a semi-rookie team, and the amount of injuries they had at QB, CB, WR, DL. I didnt know the truth of Bady's injuries or the extent of the other until after the season. It was a major accomplishment.

When Payton was in the same situation in 2007-2008, except we didn't have a banged up QB - our WR core WAS lance moore and RB's were all hurt, we only managed 9-7, 8-8 and missed even a shot at the playoffs.

I agree that Rex did a great job, but they never take into account what the coach has to work with to win a game, they only focus on the signature players Welker.
I don't know about all the coaches in sports but I was ticked they didn't give Payton credit for producing a consistent offense in 2007-2008 with allot of injuries, and it ticks me off that BB is seeing the same. Except, unlike Payton,BB managed to actually get it done better, and put his team in the playoffs.

Putting Rex above BB, even just for last year, I think is ridicules, but thats ESPN for you. More power to them putting the cowboys at #2.

Peyton is one of my favorite coached in the league. Doesnt hurt that he constantly heaps praise on BB and the Pats.

Peyton is one of my favorite coached in the league. Doesnt hurt that he constantly heaps praise on BB and the Pats.

======================================

Ryan has always been complimentary to BB and the Pats. Calls him the best coach in the league I believe.

======================================

Ryan has always been complimentary to BB and the Pats. Calls him the best coach in the league I believe.

And shows his respect by having two just-hired-ex-Pats-nonimpact-players come out as Jest captains against his first game against the Pats? yeah, right!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back