Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Let's hear it for The Hobbit.

Even Peter King noticed :

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/09/10/mmqb.week1/6.html

"Watch the replay of that Bills-Patriots game, and my guess is you would say that cornerback Ellis Hobbs was the best player on the field Sunday for New England. He shut down Lee Evans (two catches, 25 yards) and played the type of clinging coverage that's going to get him noticed as a top NFL corner if he continues."

Other than turnovers, Evans and MaGahee were the two real concerns coming in and Hobbs took care of one of them mostly by himself. He referenced in one of the local papers how excited he was when he saw the gameplan that had him going wherever Evans did as opposed to staying on one side.

He did a GREAT job, IMO he could end the year as a top 10 CB.

I wouldn't just single out Hobbs, both of our CBs did an excellent job yesterday.

137 yards passing by Brady, and the sky is falling

141 yards passing by Losman, and he's the 'real deal'.

Go figure.

Secondary did a good job keeping the Bills deep threats out of the game.

R

njpatsfan said:
137 yards passing by Brady, and the sky is falling

141 yards passing by Losman, and he's the 'real deal'.

Go figure.

Secondary did a good job keeping the Bills deep threats out of the game.

R
That's because we've come to expect alot more from Brady than that and to be quite honest, Losman did look a hell of alot sharper than Brady did. Before you jump to conclusions, no I don't think Losman is a better qb but I was very impressed with his play yesterday.

Lets not put him in Canton just yet.

But he's good.

Alk said:
That's because we've come to expect alot more from Brady than that and to be quite honest, Losman did look a hell of alot sharper than Brady did. Before you jump to conclusions, no I don't think Losman is a better qb but I was very impressed with his play yesterday.

You prove my point in spades. Tell, me how many yards LESS would 'impressive' Losman have to throw in order to be as 'poor' as Brady ? 50 ? 100 ? He fumbled the ball twice - how many more would make him as 'poor' as Brady ? 2 more ?

Just think about it.

R

njpatsfan said:
You prove my point in spades. Tell, me how many yards LESS would 'impressive' Losman have to throw in order to be as 'poor' as Brady ? 50 ? 100 ? He fumbled the ball twice - how many more would make him as 'poor' as Brady ? 2 more ?

Just think about it.

R

It's all relative. Like I said, we've grown accustomed to expect more...alot more from Brady. I expected a high school qb out of Losman but he honestly surprised the hell out of me. It's not about the yards. He had a 65% completion percentage to Brady's 48%. Brady had 1 turnover to Loseman's zero. Again, don't take this as me saying that Losman is better than Brady.

Like the kudos for Hobbs, but gotta remember if the rest of the d backfield was not playing as well as they were it would have been for naught, it takes a lot of plays from everyone to accomplish what they did.

Alk said:

You've got to be kidding. How many broken plays did he luck out on, how many times did his receivers take short passes and turn them into larger gains (that ridiculous change of direction screen by McGahee comes to mind)? Losman didn't look sharp, he looked lucky.

Richter said:
You've got to be kidding. How many broken plays did he luck out on, how many times did his receivers take short passes and turn them into larger gains (that ridiculous change of direction screen by McGahee comes to mind)? Losman didn't look sharp, he looked lucky.
If that had been Brady, what would you have called it? As far as the WRs breaking big plays, I wasn't the one that cited yards.

I hate to poop on the appreciation thread but it's not like Marino or Manning were the QB throwing to Evans.

Next week should be a better test as Noodle-Arm Noodle-Face looked decent yesterday.

The true litmus test for this secondary will be against Cincinnati.

I doubt BB will be saying, hey Ellis, we're gonna put you one on one with Chad Johnson or Hoosyermama the whole game.

I like Hobbs, I think he's our starting CB for years to come and I'm glad to have him.... but........
Am I the only one to notice that he missed about 5 tackles, and on a few plays gave up a completion because he was on over coverage with the safety instead of under coverage knowing the safety was over??? Hate to put the kid down but he had a average game at best.

Alk said:
If that had been Brady, what would you have called it? As far as the WRs breaking big plays, I wasn't the one that cited yards.

It wasn't a good day for Brady, but it's hardly like Loserman outplayed him. That performance was flat out a function of awful offensive line play in the first half, and nothing else.

Alk said:

If Brady had fumbled the snap / handoff twice in a game, and we recovered both times, I would call that LUCKY.

R

jeffd said:
I like Hobbs, I think he's our starting CB for years to come and I'm glad to have him.... but........
Am I the only one to notice that he missed about 5 tackles, and on a few plays gave up a completion because he was on over coverage with the safety instead of under coverage knowing the safety was over??? Hate to put the kid down but he had a average game at best.

No one is perfect, but a CB has a decent game if his wide outs name doesn't get called, nor does his name get called. That's what happened and he played a solid game. I thought he did look better than Asante did who went flying by tackle and was luckily saved by a block in the back call (I am pretty sure that was the play).

bump. Ellis looked good, from what I hear. I won't judge til we're through that brutal stretch ending in week 5 - Denver, Cincy, Miami.

Thanks for the thread. Seeing the title, I realized I could not remember hearing Hobbs' name during the game. I don' want to hear about CBs -- no news is good news.

I'm glad Ellis is cashing in on last seasons momentum. I sang his praises all offseason long and said over and over that he was our best CB last season. I'm glad he's playing well so far in 2006.

For what it's worth, Asante had a pretty decent game himself from what I could see. And if you've been keeping notes you know that I was very down on him from last season, so I've gotta give the credit where it's due there too..

Richter said:
It wasn't a good day for Brady, but it's hardly like Loserman outplayed him. That performance was flat out a function of awful offensive line play in the first half, and nothing else.
3 fumbles for the bills and they recovered all 3. Losman had a ball snapped over his head and bounced perfectly back up. But those are the breaks of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft