PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ebner takes leave of absence to train for the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Union 7s....Ebner will hit far too hard for the Union mob, they'll hate having to face him if he gets selected.

I had no idea how big rugby was in the US until about yesterday. I met the Uconn women's rugby team here in Scotland. They had a bigger squad than our local squad. They were very well organised and then we went drinking. It seems like it's really growing. It's great to see the patriots let Ebner go to do it. I'm guessing this was part of his contract talk, he knows the system so easier for him to come back. If he went to another team he would have to learn a new system and likely would struggle to make the team.

Very interesting. Good for him.

But,
- I would think he'd best suited to be at Patriots practice.
- I would think there would be a bunch of rugby players who have been playing their own game for the past few years who would be better for the Olympics team.
- Who knew the US had a rugby team???

I knew they played Las Vegas last week and Vancouver this week. Good team but no chance they will get a medal.. Maybe 6, 7th place but thats really good.

Between golf returning after a 100 year hiatus and Ebner on the rugby team, the Olympics will be fun to watch.
Golf? Golfs a game, not a sport. Shouldn't be in the Olympics.

Surprised there's been no ignorant Eagles game comments. Yet.

Indeed.

Fortunately, it would be hard for this to go to Jeff Demps extremes.

Was just going to bring up demps. Seems like there are only a few situations that BB will give players time off for.... family emergency, the Olympics, and retirement.

It's the sort of thing that's super cool so long as he doesn't get injured. If that happens, then everyone will say "what were they thinking when they let him do this?!?!?"

There's a reason why pro athletes have it written into their contracts that there are specifics activities they aren't allowed to do, such as participate in other sports. Let's just say I'm glad this isn't Edelman or Gronk partaking.

It's the sort of thing that's super cool so long as he doesn't get injured. If that happens, then everyone will say "what were they thinking when they let him do this?!?!?"

There's a reason why pro athletes have it written into their contracts that there are specifics activities they aren't allowed to do, such as participate in other sports. Let's just say I'm glad this isn't Edelman or Gronk partaking.

This suggests that whatever they're paying Ebner, they think he'd be worth a bit more if it weren't for his Olympics hobby.

And given the roster here, Ebner stands a good chance of making the team: Men's Eagles 7s Player Pool

Canada seems to be the main competition for the #1 spot from North America.

Ebner has an outside shot of making it. Recent injuries have left the forwards stretched. If Ebner has been working on it, he should be able to get back in rugby shape in time. Coach Friday has burners on the outside, Ebner's ability to be selected will be based entirely on if he gets his conditioning back and if he can still handle the ball.

It will open up the game for the USA's Carlin Isles, a guy who flamed out in NFL tryouts. The kid could blow by Chris Johnson in his prime, but had fewer skills than Renaldo Nehemiah.
He still can blow by just about anyone, after spending a year + playing rugby instead of sprinting, he took this past weekend off to run the 60M at the USATF indoor championships and finished in 5th. He is attempting to make the Olympic Team for the 100m as well as for Rugby. The field in sevens is wide open for him, He has a few great highlight clips on youtube for those interested in it.

I knew they played Las Vegas last week and Vancouver this week. Good team but no chance they will get a medal.. Maybe 6, 7th place but thats really good.
They are currently raked 5th in the World Series. While it is far from a sure thing, they definitely have a shot at it, they have multiple cup Quarter Final appearances since Mike Friday took over the program.

They are currently raked 5th in the World Series. While it is far from a sure thing, they definitely have a shot at it, they have multiple cup Quarter Final appearances since Mike Friday took over the program.

Level 1 Fiji, NZ, Australia, South Africa ( they are really really better right now )

Level 2 Argentina, USA, Samoa,England...

Level 1 Fiji, NZ, Australia, South Africa ( they are really really better right now )

Level 2 Argentina, USA, Samoa,England...
I agree, but they have beaten all of them this year (except maybe Fiji) given the chance they can definitely beat them in one game in the olympics. It's 7's on the right day any of the top 8-10 teams can win a tournament.

I had no idea how big rugby was in the US until about yesterday. I met the Uconn women's rugby team here in Scotland. They had a bigger squad than our local squad. They were very well organised and then we went drinking. It seems like it's really growing. It's great to see the patriots let Ebner go to do it. I'm guessing this was part of his contract talk, he knows the system so easier for him to come back. If he went to another team he would have to learn a new system and likely would struggle to make the team.

Back in the 1980s, I went on a rugby tour of Scotland with my college team. We were all brawny football types, with about 25% of the team being International (prep school, rich kids, from the UK, Switzerland, Turkey, Middle East, Argentina, Japan). We played well against some local clubs, but then faced a school of scrawny 16-17 year olds. We drilled them hard. I remember one moment when a Scot on the sideline said, "They stuck him like a pig!" Well, we were hitting them so hard and laying them out, while the ball was getting out to their wings. They beat us something like 54-6 (back then, kicks after tries were 2 points). They were bruised but victorious. So lesson learned by American lunkheads. Make a form tackle and then pop right back up. Don't wreck them or else you'll get wrecked.

Ebner is definitely a hardo ....... go USA Rugby Team.

Back in the 1980s, I went on a rugby tour of Scotland with my college team. We were all brawny football types, with about 25% of the team being International (prep school, rich kids, from the UK, Switzerland, Turkey, Middle East, Argentina, Japan). We played well against some local clubs, but then faced a school of scrawny 16-17 year olds. We drilled them hard. I remember one moment when a Scot on the sideline said, "They stuck him like a pig!" Well, we were hitting them so hard and laying them out, while the ball was getting out to their wings. They beat us something like 54-6 (back then, kicks after tries were 2 points). They were bruised but victorious. So lesson learned by American lunkheads. Make a form tackle and then pop right back up. Don't wreck them or else you'll get wrecked.

Thats a great story. I love a good tour although most teams in the UK will not go US for a tour as the 18-20 want to be able to drink. Yeah in rugby big hits don't do that much other than piss people off. You don't want to be at the bottom of a ruck after that.

To show how much times have changed Uconn team won 33-0 they were not not against a great team the women team at the university here has only just formed this year. I was shocked by the sheer numbers of the squad. They are playing a game versus a better team later in the week which I agreed to go watch, this time I'll be supporting Uconn though. It was great learning how much rugby there was at college level in the US and they were equally as shocked to find how much we played football here, I only went as I am one of the university football coaches and two of our players coach the women rugby team.

This is different than the Demps thing IMO.

Demps hadn't proven a thing in the NFL and he admitted football wasn't a priority for him. Ebner has on both counts.

This is different than the Demps thing IMO.

Demps hadn't proven a thing in the NFL and he admitted football wasn't a priority for him. Ebner has on both counts.

And on a related note, I don't think training for rugby is counterproductive for football.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes