PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eating a little crow: 2nd rounders for future 1sts

Isaac

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I never got around to posting a thread about how many posters on the board were delirious because they thought the Patriots could easily trade a 2009 2nd round pick for a 2010 1st. I had done the research and this had only happened ONCE so far this decade, and under some unusual circumstances (Colts for Ugoh).

Well, of course, it happened twice yesterday :eek::
- Seahawks trade pick #37 for Broncos 2010 1st round pick
- 49ers trade pick #43 and #111 for Panthers 2010 1st round pick

I think an under-appreciated story in this draft is that the Patriots may have passed on both of these opportunities--which indicates they had high value on these players:
- I would assume that the Broncos must have made the same offer to the Patriots at #34, but apparently Chung was worth more than a future first to them.
- It's trickier to guess if the Panthers made a similar offer at #40/41 because the Patriots didn't have a 4th at that point to include, but nonetheless I find it remarkable that they valued Butler and Brace (+ whatever other pick it would have been) over a future first.

Last edited:
Whilst the opportunity to trade a pick to next year might have been there, you have to think that we'll (hopefully) only have so many roster spots available, so positions will be at a premium this time next year.

I dont mind the 2nd and 3rd round picks this year as these players will have a year to grow and could become starters after the mass exodous of FAs next year.

Though when we traded with GB I was really hoping for their #1 next year, it would of almost certainly been in the top 10 again!

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back