PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eagles impressed by Pats defense

They are interconnected. I’m not worried about the defense if the offense is converting 3rd downs and maintaining their fair share of time of possession. I’m greatly concerned about the defense if they are going 3 and out and the defense is always on the field. One of the most impressive things about the defense yesterday was that they were able to keep them in the game when the offense was turning the ball over and burying them. Fortunately for the Patriots they should get Strange and Onyewu back, and they should be able to run the ball much better than they did yesterday, and that should help the offense stay on the field, especially if Jones can build off of yesterdays performance.
IMO, I wasn't really worried about the defense. I was more curious to see if they can contain high octane offenses. I'll say this. The eagles are the most talented team we will see on both sides of the Ball this season. We hung with them and even had them go on multiple 3 and outs.

The O line held up well. Mac had time in the pocket. I absolutely loved what BB said in his post game saying about the rookies about throwing them in the fire, that's the only way they learn. I'm ok with letting the rookies at WR continue to play. Parker and Thornton are guys we can no longer rely on. If they are healthy and can contribute great. However the guys that are available should have more opportunities.

The TEs will be a mis-match for us all season against teams. Next up the high flying dolphins!

18 points too.

Well, hate to admit it but I guess yesterday was a great day for you, the Patriots lost. And you are clearly excited about the prospect of them losing in Miami as well. You, FBC , Captain Stone, and a few others must be thrilled with things so far. Hopefully things will get better for the Patriots and their fans, but for right now we just have to take the loss and accept your gloating. Congratulations.

Well, hate to admit it but I guess yesterday was a great day for you, the Patriots lost. And you are clearly excited about the prospect of them losing in Miami as well. You, FBC , Captain Stone, and a few others must be thrilled with things so far. Hopefully things will get better for the Patriots and their fans, but for right now we just have to take the loss and accept your gloating. Congratulations.
Cheer up Igor.

A 5 point loss is actually a win when you tally the season up in January. Take your meds.

IMO, I wasn't really worried about the defense. I was more curious to see if they can contain high octane offenses. I'll say this. The eagles are the most talented team we will see on both sides of the Ball this season. We hung with them and even had them go on multiple 3 and outs.

The O line held up well. Mac had time in the pocket. I absolutely loved what BB said in his post game saying about the rookies about throwing them in the fire, that's the only way they learn. I'm ok with letting the rookies at WR continue to play. Parker and Thornton are guys we can no longer rely on. If they are healthy and can contribute great. However the guys that are available should have more opportunities.

The TEs will be a mis-match for us all season against teams. Next up the high flying dolphins!

I agree. And while I understand some of the criticism of this game looking like some of the other tough losses they have had the past couple of seasons, I’m really looking at this as a new team and a new season. If Boutte just drags his foot they could have very well come away with the win, but he didn’t, so it goes down as an L, That’s the way it goes, the Patriots won plenty of games where opponents could have gotten the win if they had just done one or two simple things during the Dynasty era, and thats the lesson they have to take from this, as doing all the little things all the time can often be the difference between winning and losing. They have a really tough schedule this season, but that’s a good thing, as that’s who you have to beat, and the level you have to get to if you want to be a real contender in this league. So we will see if they can continue to develop over the course of this season? If they can grow and start winning these kinds of games then they can become a contender, if not then it’s back to the drawing board. I think they have a good young team overall, and I’m actually looking forward to seeing what they can become.

Cheer up Igor.

A 5 point loss is actually a win when you tally the season up in January. Take your meds.

Thanks Triumph, I’ll do that. Fortunately for you they got the loss, but don’t stray off your Abilify/Lithobid regimen. Even though you are happy right now your psychiatrist will certainly say that your psychoses is too severe to take time off from your meds. BPD is some nasty ****. I always considered it the worst of the disorders the kids I worked with had to deal with. Much more concerning than those with Bi-Polar Disorder.

I agree. And while I understand some of the criticism of this game looking like some of the other tough losses they have had the past couple of seasons, I’m really looking at this as a new team and a new season. If Boutte just drags his foot they could have very well come away with the win, but he didn’t, so it goes down as an L, That’s the way it goes, the Patriots won plenty of games where opponents could have gotten the win if they had just done one or two simple things during the Dynasty era, and thats the lesson they have to take from this, as doing all the little things all the time can often be the difference between winning and losing. They have a really tough schedule this season, but that’s a good thing, as that’s who you have to beat, and the level you have to get to if you want to be a real contender in this league. So we will see if they can continue to develop over the course of this season? If they can grow and start winning these kinds of games then they can become a contender, if not then it’s back to the drawing board. I think they have a good young team overall, and I’m actually looking forward to seeing what they can become.
Absolutely 100% agreed! This year's team just feels differently that the last 2 seasons. We can actually see the talent, see the young players playing with confidence. I mean.. the eagles are stacked at every level. This should be isrpiring against Josh Allen or Rodgers. The schedule is tough for them, but I'm sure BB will manage guys so they aren't worn down by week 5. I'm very excited to see what this team can be!

Being a transplanted New Englander in Philly, I've seen almost all of Philly's games the last few years ( when they don't conflict w Pats games) and NE defense shut them down better than almost everybody over that time span. I'm sure a few coaches around the league will get game tape and see how they did it... Granted you need the personell to do it but if they play that well the rest of the year ( stop the turnovers and Boutte learns to keep both feet in bounds) it won't be as bad as the naysayers say....

They are interconnected. I’m not worried about the defense if the offense is converting 3rd downs and maintaining their fair share of time of possession. I’m greatly concerned about the defense if they are going 3 and out and the defense is always on the field. One of the most impressive things about the defense yesterday was that they were able to keep them in the game when the offense was turning the ball over and burying them. Fortunately for the Patriots they should get Strange and Onyewu back, and they should be able to run the ball much better than they did yesterday, and that should help the offense stay on the field, especially if Jones can build off of yesterdays performance.

A lot of people didn't want to give the defense credit in the past few years (especially the Cam year) and instead would say they'd fold to good offenses or fold late game.

If you're on the field for an extraordinary amount of snaps, you're going to be gasses not only by late game, but by late season, especially.

Being a transplanted New Englander in Philly, I've seen almost all of Philly's games the last few years ( when they don't conflict w Pats games) and NE defense shut them down better than almost everybody over that time span. I'm sure a few coaches around the league will get game tape and see how they did it... Granted you need the personell to do it but if they play that well the rest of the year ( stop the turnovers and Boutte learns to keep both feet in bounds) it won't be as bad as the naysayers say....

This gives me hope and helps me believe we'll be okay from the situational blunders. Over the past few years, the Patriots staff has been the blueprint setters for various teams that were thought to be an unsolved wrinkle. The IQ is there to overcome a lot of what we saw yesterday.

A lot of people didn't want to give the defense credit in the past few years (especially the Cam year) and instead would say they'd fold to good offenses or fold late game.

If you're on the field for an extraordinary amount of snaps, you're going to be gasses not only by late game, but by late season, especially.
Agree completely.

Thanks Triumph, I’ll do that. Fortunately for you they got the loss, but don’t stray off your Abilify/Lithobid regimen. Even though you are happy right now your psychiatrist will certainly say that your psychoses is too severe to take time off from your meds. BPD is some nasty ****. I always considered it the worst of the disorders the kids I worked with had to deal with. Much more concerning than those with Bi-Polar Disorder.

What would you recommend for a QB driving people insane.

Some have delusions of granduer.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back