PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft recap and its possible implications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it will be 5 WR's + Slater and 3 TE's.
You might be right about the WR's, Ivan, but I can't see them going with anything less than 4 TE's. So much of the offense is built around the TE's, So having 2 quality backups will be key to keeping the continuity of the offense if Gronk or Hernandez are out. Its not just have 2 back up TE, but too QUALITY back ups. Any 2 of Ballard, Hooman, and Fells will fill that bill. They don't necessarily have to elite like Gronk/Hernandez, but better than the usual 2nd stringers. If Fells and Ballard can get back to the health and productivity they've show in the past, they will have that covered.

Somebody will start on the PUP so don't worry about it.

1) Collins

I held off judgement on Hightower last year because my evaluation would depend entirely on how he was used. For the most part, he wasn't used to great effect. His strengths weren't emphasized and his weaknesses were exposed. I would say Collins is in the same boat this year. Put him in standard OLB/DE alignments and responsibilities and this pick is mostly a meh. Free up the LBs to attack in unpredictable ways, particularly when the opposition becomes one-dimensional, and it could have a domino effect on the whole defense.

2) Dobson and Boyce (and Moe and Thompkins)

I'm not sure I can see more than 5 non-Slater WRs making the final roster. Assuming DA, Dobson and Boyce are locks, the rest are fighting for 2 spots. Assume Edelperson and Jones for now with Moe/Thompkins on practice squad. What does that unit tell me? Couple of things:
- Looking to spread the ball around more. Whole bunch of less-specialize #2 types.
- Hands at a premium. None of these guys are body catchers.
- Tired of 3rd and 1. All of these WRs can operate in short zones but they all have speed and wiggle to convert 1st downs instead of coming up just short.
- Ready for late season injuries. Need to have a viable passing game even if 1 or 2 on the depth chart go down (common theme for this offseason).

3) Ryan

Not surprising that Belichick doesn't want to see Cole getting any CB minutes in the playoffs next year.

4) Harmon

Hopefully we all get to see what Belichick sees in Harmon. Dude ran a 4.45 at his pro day and was 1st team All Big East for 2 years...so he can play a little. But most teams has the same basic scouting info and nobody wants to be called a moron on national TV. So wouldn't Harmon have surely been available at 102 or even in the 7th round? The one variable is that Harmon's coach for 3 years was picking relatively early on day 3 and could have been eyeing Harmon as well. Doubtful that even Schiano would have traded up to get Harmon so it is more likely that Harmon was the last name on Belichick's to-do list and when he couldn't trade 91 (they were certainly trying) he just checked him off the list to start fresh on day 3.

What does Harmon bring to the table? He looks to have the speed and instincts to play a solid centerfield and he looked explosive when asked to blitz. Really can't say if he brings more than those niche skills but I'm assuming we (and Gregory and Ebner) will find out.

5) Blount

If he is willing to accept a role as a short-yardage/goal line back, he could be a key contributor. Not sure they want any of the current RBs banging between the tackles with both safeties flying in...at least Ridley surely doesn't. A lineup with Blount, Gronk, Ballard and Hernandez will require 9 in the box to prevent an easy conversion. But do that and you will have Brady in play action with max protect and only 2 guys in coverage against a motioning Hernandez and one of the new WRs. Good luck.

6) Buchanan and Beauharnais

Great use of late picks on sliders. Rivera and Tarpinian better step up or their roster spots were just put on notice. If either of them can be more than ST guys, all the better. I don't think they change the depth chart dynamics at DE or LB at this point, but they will certainly have the opportunity to move up.

You might be right about the WR's, Ivan, but I can't see them going with anything less than 4 TE's. So much of the offense is built around the TE's, So having 2 quality backups will be key to keeping the continuity of the offense if Gronk or Hernandez are out. Its not just have 2 back up TE, but too QUALITY back ups. Any 2 of Ballard, Hooman, and Fells will fill that bill. They don't necessarily have to elite like Gronk/Hernandez, but better than the usual 2nd stringers. If Fells and Ballard can get back to the health and productivity they've show in the past, they will have that covered.

Good points, if they go with 2 QB's again they will have plenty of flexibility with the other units so we will have to wait until camp to how it will all break down.

BTW-As someone who was really critical of their WR situation i am really happy with how it stands now. It may take some time to get up to speed but they are good enough to withstand that, and if the rookies pan out this will be a really good unit by the end of the season, and they should be much better suited to the physical play allowed in the post season than their unit was this season. they aren't proven yet but the unit is much younger, bigger, faster, and should be more explosive and more physiocal than we have seen in a while. I like where they are at on both sides of the ball and feel like it wass really good offseason on the whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST