PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft day trade with KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reasons :

Save a few off cap by not cutting. Avoid a Milloy-type situation by cutting. I loved Vrabel, but maybe he's just not as valuable in BB's eyes as the fan's.

Remember the glowing words for Lynch in summer 08 ? Still cut, never called back.

We also get to CHOOSE where he goes if we trade him. We cut him, anyone could sign him, including a division opponent.

Plus also, his knowledge of the Pats system is less valuable in KC, because they already have Pioli to provide that, so it's less impactful to us that way as well.

No, they haven't done well in round 2.

2000- A.Klemm- adaquate at best
2001- M.Light- The one solid pick
2002- D.Branch-Good player who shot his way out of town
2003- E.Wilson-Was solid at first but tailed off in a big way
2003- B.Johnson-Showed flashes but fizzled out quickly and wore out his welcome
2004- M.Hill-My prayers are with the families of those missing players
2006- C.Jackson-See B.Johnson
2008- T.Wheatly-A project, we'll see

Branch and light are the best.. I kinda hope Seattle will dump him so he can come back..

A fourth rounder for Tony G.

No, they haven't done well in round 2.

2000- A.Klemm- adaquate at best
2001- M.Light- The one solid pick
2002- D.Branch-Good player who shot his way out of town
2003- E.Wilson-Was solid at first but tailed off in a big way
2003- B.Johnson-Showed flashes but fizzled out quickly and wore out his welcome
2004- M.Hill-My prayers are with the families of those missing players
2006- C.Jackson-See B.Johnson
2008- T.Wheatly-A project, we'll see

While I admit, the 2nd round has been inconsistent, it's hard to look at this list and make any conclusions without analyzing every other team's 2nd round picks. Also, bear in mind, the Pats are often drafting towards the end of the second due to their record.

Taking Wheatley out (too soon) and Hill (never really got a chance), you're talking 2 wins (light and branch), two losses (jackson and johnson, even though he had a few big moments for us), and two draws (klemm and wilson, who DID help us win at least one super bowl).

Going .500 in the second round isn't too bad. If a guy was a sure thing he'd be a first rounder.

While I admit, the 2nd round has been inconsistent, it's hard to look at this list and make any conclusions without analyzing every other team's 2nd round picks. Also, bear in mind, the Pats are often drafting towards the end of the second due to their record.

Taking Wheatley out (too soon) and Hill (never really got a chance), you're talking 2 wins (light and branch), two losses (jackson and johnson, even though he had a few big moments for us), and two draws (klemm and wilson, who DID help us win at least one super bowl).

Going .500 in the second round isn't too bad. If a guy was a sure thing he'd be a first rounder.

I guess you could say Branch is a win, seeing how we got #1 for him after some great production. At least the 1st round hasn't been hit-or-miss. We've done pretty well with some later picks, too.

I guess you could say Branch is a win, seeing how we got #1 for him after some great production. At least the 1st round hasn't been hit-or-miss. We've done pretty well with some later picks, too.

I call him a win because, in our system, he was very good (super bowl mvp good). That's really what you're looking for in draft picks, how well do you know your own system, and how good are you at selecting players who fit it?

not sure if that is true and second why not ask him to take a pay cut..

It is true-

If you cut him then your cap charge is still the prorated portion of his signing bonus from his last deal.

Trade him and you don't pay salary, plus get salary AND bonus off the cap

Cut him and you don't pay salary but the bonus stays on the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST