PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft at number 2 [mergedx2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Draft at number 2 [merged]

trade down first, then draft a RB @ #15. Wow ! I'm glad you are not the GM of the Pats. So, who would the #15 drafted play behind or ahead of
- Maroney
-Smith
-Faulk

Another benchwarmer for next 4 yrs. ?????

Smith???

(10 characters....)

Exactly, I'm with you. As I said, I have faith in BB & Pioli at any position in the draft.

I can't believe some folks are shunning the 2nd pick. That'd be like turning down sex from Salma Hayek because you'd have to take her to an expensive restaurant first. Woe is us.

We should be thankful our team is this insanely sick and we're getting the draft pick of one of the worst teams in the league.

I agree 100%. The higher the pick the more leverage the organization has. As long as the team maximizes the value of the pick everyone should be happy. If they use the pick I hope it's on a guy who can make the team. A boatload of draft picks doesn't really help because they will just be claimed off waivers when they're cut in training camp. Unless they trade for future draft picks.

Why not draft a QB for the future? J/K. As of now I like Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, Chris Long, Darren McFadden and Matt Ryan. There are several DE that can be converted to LB. But, yeah, ILB is more of a need. Free Agents can fill that void. Jake Long should be the cheapest 1st rounder.

I agree 100%. The higher the pick the more leverage the organization has. As long as the team maximizes the value of the pick everyone should be happy. If they use the pick I hope it's on a guy who can make the team. A boatload of draft picks doesn't really help because they will just be claimed off waivers when they're cut in training camp. Unless they trade for future draft picks.

Why not draft a QB for the future? J/K. As of now I like Glenn Dorsey, Jake Long, Chris Long, Darren McFadden and Matt Ryan. There are several DE that can be converted to LB. But, yeah, ILB is more of a need. Free Agents can fill that void. Jake Long should be the cheapest 1st rounder.

I'm with you and the others who say that they trust the braintrust of New England to work the cap, draft and free agency to come out with a team of similar caliber to this year's.

The problems with a lot of the prognosticating at this point is the unpredictability of what direction BB/SP are looking to go. Who would've thought that during the 2nd day of the 2007 draft they'd have grabbed Randy Effing Moss, who is having an all-time great season right now?

If the Braintrust thinks they can get a franchise, impact type player with that pick, I'd be suprised to see it traded unless their targets project deeper in the draft (whether or not its supposed to be deep.) It would be a little sad to see Dorsey, Long or McFadden turn into pro-bowlers if New England traded out of drafting them, even if the team has success with their guy. I'd compare it to trading Hanley Ramirez for Beckett and Mike Lowell. Even though the WS ring was worth it, its tough to see Hanley playing at such a high level in a Florida uniform.

The problem with a high pick is that prospect is going to expect to be paid like a high pick, and typically quality teams don't have to worry about paying top-5 picks. So we will have to shop it around, but the key is finding a team that desperately needs that draft position because a team below us is eyeing their favorite prospect. We couldn't draft anyone that would meet expectations on this club. No pick will come in and start at CB, S or LB right away. Our O-line and D-lines are set. Receivers set. QB's set. We aren't bringing in McFadden while Maroney is around. There's really nobody worth drafting that high.

Re: Draft at number 2

I'm not sure what you suggest then. If adding the best back to come out in the past 10 years is a bad idea then what then?

do you know that McFadden is 2nd on his own team in yards per carry?

the idea is that he is the best back of the last 10 years is lol

The thing is, it would be very difficult to trade a pick that high. A lot of teams have wanted to trade out of the top 4 or 5 in past years but haven't been able to. A pick like that comes around very infrequently for a team as good as the Patriots, and I don't think they will trade for anything below equal value.

This is a golden opportunity for the franchise. If that pick is used properly, we could be in the playoffs every year well after Brady retires. That's not something you just throw away. When you're talking about top 5 picks, it's not so much the salary that is outrageous (althouigh it is high for a rookie), but more often, it is the size of the signing bonus. That can cripple a small market team, but Kraft has the dough to pay 25 or 30 mil up front.

Our SF pick just rose to #2.

Right?

This assumes SF "wins" tiebreaker against all others due to weakest strength of schedule. (Is St. Louis's really stronger than theirs?)

Oops! You can let this thread drop and visit the one started by Solman.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back