PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don't expect any more laterals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that there is a game (rugby) where laterals are one of the most important skills and used extremely effectively throughout the entire game while there is a similar game where the use of a lateral is considered so risky as to almost always be considered a bad play - even when it works.

I think that this speaks more of closed minds than true usefulness of the lateral.

In rugby, if you botch a lateral or fumble, the ball does not go to the other side for a likely scoring drive.

It is a very poor example.

The bottom line is this: in football, ball security is the most important skill on offense. The lateral is poor ball security. The team with the most turnovers loses roughly 80%+ of the time.

It's not because Coaches don't have open minds, or whatever BS I am reading. It's unsafe, and it's bad football.

Last edited:
Tell ya what...talk about the lateral, how it's a great, exciting play. How about if Welker does it again, but this time it's against Indy and an Indy DB scoops and scores on the lateral. I guarantee every person here that is singing his praises now will be calling for his head.

Take a look at the cut back he made against Buffalo, when he had the first down and tried to cut back to gain more yardage, but lost 2 yards. Read Josh McDaniel's lips when he says "That was so stupid, goddamn it." Another high risk, low reward play.

The hook and ladder play is a designed, called lateral is and usually only used in circumstances of desperation.
yes..and when it is desperate, teams are looking for that...such as teh last play of a game..or late in the game. So the D knows and looks for all these laterals. It is an effective play, if a team has a trailing wideout or running back, following up the play and there are few defenders in the area.
It's a lot more effective if executed when a team does not expect it. But I agree..it's a trick play..and CAN be used at times...but only when called for..or is the D is opening a play like that up. Once you use it, teams will look for it and it's value goes down. Remember the Vinatieri pass to Brown in St Louis?? A great trick play...the timing of it broke the game open. Trick plays used ONLY when needed..I don't think this team needs to use any..at least not at this time.

lol

The lateral is something that they teach you not to do... period. My college ran the option and it still wasn't taught. It wouldn't work "most of the time", and it's dangerious. Period. This isn't a video game and if it was such a great thing to do, why isn't anyone, on any level, doing it by design? Name a single team. It doesn't happen.

lol

The lateral is something that they teach you not to do... period. My college ran the option and it still wasn't taught. It wouldn't work "most of the time", and it's dangerious. Period. This isn't a video game and if it was such a great thing to do, why isn't anyone, on any level, doing it by design? Name a single team. It doesn't happen.

Oh, thank GOD. I thought the Madden mentality was taking over the world...

What college did you go to? If you're from Mass, and ran the Option, I would guess Bridgewater or Springfield.

Oh, thank GOD. I thought the Madden mentality was taking over the world...

What college did you go to? If you're from Mass, and ran the Option, I would guess Bridgewater or Springfield.

Syracuse, before McNabb.

Last edited:
Why can't they go for nice, safe plays anymore?

Like QB sneaks on the goalline?

(As a fantasy football player I'm upset Maroney never gets chances but hey, every other time up there my real team scored)

In rugby, if you botch a lateral or fumble, the ball does not go to the other side for a likely scoring drive.

It is a very poor example.

The bottom line is this: in football, ball security is the most important skill on offense. The lateral is poor ball security. The team with the most turnovers loses roughly 80%+ of the time.

It's not because Coaches don't have open minds, or whatever BS I am reading. It's unsafe, and it's bad football.

I guess we can agree to disagree. (Well, at least I'll agree to disagree with you. :) )

I do have one fun comment, however. The team with the most turnovers may lose 80+% of the time, but the team with the most points wins every time and laterals can help you score those points and win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes