PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does this just make too much sense? (Andre Johnson wants out of Houston)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about both Dobson and Boyce is that both are really high character guys and smart football players (Bethel was neither, not a bad kid but he didn't get it), both strike me as players who will work their asses off to get the best out of themselves and that bodes well for their futures in new England. And while we are all wanting a big name like Johnson to come in I got the feeling from Belichick in his exit interview with Holley when the season ended that he really likes and believes in the young receivers and expects them to take a big step forward this season. Dobson missing so much of the offseason has to hurt and he needs to be healthy and get the most out of this training camp and pre-season because he is an important piece for them this season. And while I would love to see Johnson added to the mix if it doesn't impede the Reviss and McCourty deals, I do like the young WR's and expect this receiving corps to have a really good season.

I'm very high on the young guys, and generally more of a fan of "WR by committee" than spending huge bucks for a star WR - especially a 33 year old one. I also thought that Brady got a bit predictable at times when he had such a close connection with Welker, and would benefit from spreading the ball around more.

Last edited:
When is the first wave of cuts?

If I bring in Andre Johnson it's at most a 2 year deal with enough protection in case he wants to turn into another Johnson late In his career.
At this point I offer Mallett and a 4th or Admendola and that's it.
Would love to see the young guys fill out the nucleus of this roster honestly am rooting for will Smith and Tommy Kelly to get knocked off this roster by younger players with more athletic upside.
Do not want to see Will Smith huffing and puffing chasing the Quarterback late into this season.
The young talent at running back o line and receiver is very interesting.
I like the nucleus we built for this team.
I want to see 2 of Finley, Keller or a trade for Housler.
Honestly think we should of grabbed Colt Lyera.
Appearantly he is lighting it up in Green Bay and Is fighting for serious playing time.
But a hungry Andre Johnson on a deep Playoff run playing with Brady.
How can this be a bad thing?

to answer the question "does it make too much sense?"...no, it doesn't make TOO MUCH sense. One could argue that it makes some sense on some levels just as easily as some could argue that it doesn't.

My guess on the probability of a deal with the Pats? Less than 10%.

to answer the question "does it make too much sense?"...no, it doesn't make TOO MUCH sense. One could argue that it makes some sense on some levels just as easily as some could argue that it doesn't.

My guess on the probability of a deal with the Pats? Less than 10%.

From a player perspective only, it makes 100% sense if one believes that AJ helps the team win moreso this year than whatever combo of Amendola/Dobson/Boyce/Thompkins/LaFell the team now has available. This part of the question is easy to answer for everyone.

The trickier part obviously is one of the compensation (trade and sal cap) required to pull it off. Since none of us are privy to such info it's all nothing more than guesswork ..... which means that none of us will ever agree on how much sense it makes. :p

my take on this once again is if he is a major improvement and makes our receivers that much better be a positive role model to the young pups, and help our receivers get themselves better.
If he is willing to go with a reasonable rework and is hungry for a Superbowl and doesn't cripple our salary cap and the Patriots can make a escape clause to retain valuable cap should things not work out.
With compensation to Houston being fair you make that trade happen.
I understand alot of ifs in this equation but if it's a green light great.

I'm sure it isn't going to happen. But holy smokes…if it did….

QB - Brady
RB - Ridley/Vereen
TE - Gronk
WR1 - Johnson
WR2 - Edelman
WR3 - Dobson

That would be tremendous.

Take a look at the defense. Take a look at the offense. Find the positions with issues/questions that really exist even if all the players are healthy at the start of the season. Guess where they are?

TE
WR
ORG
C

LB (if Collins doesn't work out)
S2

As I said earlier, your post basically made no sense. It's a post that makes it seem as if you haven't been following the Patriots, or the NFL, at all for the past 3 seasons.

I basically agree with you.

No one pushed for more investment in a shallow Offensive line than did I, prior to the Draft. But that does not mean I thought all or most of the interior O line starters were very poor players. They did key an Offense that was Top 3 for three years running, so they are not bums.

I wanted a 'meat and potatoes' Draft to increase the quality of the players there, handle injuries, and to start preparing for the aging Mankins replacement in a year or three. BB apparently agreed and thought it a moderate priority, investing early Day 3 picks to groom. It is un-neccessary to move away from the incumbents in 2014. Letting Fleming inherit the swing tackle position frees Cannon to move to RG full time; and allows bigger Connolly to return to C. Veterans, and fairly good ones at that, will ensure the undersize problems of Wendell are overcome, even without resort to the actual grooming rookies. I hope a starter for 2014 can emerge from the rookies by mid-season, but I expect to see them bloom in 2015 and beyond.

Just like the investment BB made in WRs in 2013 and the RBs corps the year before that. BB had gone as far as possible with the aging WR vets in 2011, and set out to improve the roster and develop some fresh, talented, young blood there.

You predicted, and I concurred, that there would be growing pains, and there were, aggravated by the unexpected last minute loss of a star receiving TE, and too late to do much about it.

Those days are behind us at RB, and I expect at WR too, pending confirmation in 2014 play. Having a second star TE is a luxury, whose loss and replacement can be overcome, with either a two receiving RB system, or emphasis on the run game, or a triple wide WR formations, or some combination.

The selection of a a second starting quality TE was undermined by a poor Draft stock and health may have prevented the signing of a quality veteran TE, as well.

BB is well on his way to better selections for all 3 alternative possibilities in 2014. So there are really not many actual problems on Offense.

I wish I could say as much for the Defense. BB has hopes that he will secure the play of as many as five additional, healthy, Pro Bowl quality Defensive players in 2014 versus 2013. But those are only hopes, yet to be proved. Achilles tendons are a tough injury to overcome, as may be the infection complications that Armstead faces. Then there are the knee injuries to Kelly and Easly to worry about, too.

Collins may be a flash in the pan, over rated by a couple of late season rookie performances. The acquisition of Anderson allays some fears there.

The selection of a starting second Safety may still prove problematical, especially when any such candidate may be picked on, rather than face the quality evident elsewhere. I suspect, but cannot assert that circumstantial evidence suggests BB feels otherwise, but I can see the concern. Feeling free to simply cut the incumbent, re-acquiring a former starter as mere depth, and the hopes for one of two high draft selections breaking out, would seem to allay those concerns.

Between Wilfork, Siliga, Mayo, I would hope that the vulnerability to the run which showed up when Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo and Spikes were all injured may prove ephemeral, but its cure must be demonstrated.

So I assert that the Defensive stats were not great last season, even if much better than everyone grants them. The Pass Rush was better than in decades for example. It does imply the play of new faces, and new starters, unlike the Offense.

On Offense there is no need for anything other than proven quality veterans to play, and a still Top 3 Offense is in prospect.

There are more issues to face on Offense, but these concerns are mostly to reserves. The issues on Defense are fewer but can pertain to starters.

In all, your call for caution as a Voice of Reason does make sense.

Hey Deus, your right i have not been paying attention AT all for the last three years. I just started watching football today.. here let me do some research so i can be an expert like you

Based on points scored/points allowed
2013 offensive rank:3
2012 offensive rank:1
2011 offensive rank:3

2013 defensive rank:10
2012 defensive rank:9
2011 defensive rank:15

Yep. top 3 offense the last three years. Better add MORE offense.

Belichick looked at last year.
Belicichick drafted a QB, 3OL, a RB and a WR.
He also added another WR in FA.

You should explain to him that he was wrong to bring in so many offensive players. Perhaps if you were to enlighten him about the season long brilliance of last year's WR corps, from top to bottom, he'd come around. It's not to late to ditch all those guys and sign some slappies for the defense.

Either that, or you can look at the 'additions' of

Wilfork
Kelly
Mayo
Revis
Browner
Anderson
Easley
Moore
Thomas
Armstead (?)

as the players they went out and got for the defense, and realize that bringing in another top flight player, be it on offense or defense, is not some sort of evil thing. Since the player in question happens to be on offense, we'll go with the offense thing. If word comes out that Eric Berry might be available, and Johnson has not been signed (thus leaving at least the theoretical possibility of sufficient cap space), I promise to be even more enthusiastic about that possibility than I am about this one. It's not as if I've been hiding my thoughts on this team's WR and CB/S problems in recent seasons, after all.

Last edited:
Even if all three are busts - which is unlikely - we have protected ourselves by adding LaFell and another receiving RB - and perhaps a third with Finch.

Sure, to be a legit SB contender we really could use Gronk staying healthy and at least one of the (now) sophomore WR taking a big step. But we are entering this year as well protected as reasonably possible with the upside of the youth and LaFell added. And we almost certainly won't have to go through half a season of Brandon Bolden trying to be Shane Vereen. Now that was ugly.

The Pats added Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones last year. So, Im not counting on LaFell.

Assuming the Pats reach the post season, White and Finch will hit the rookie wall. Down the stretch Dobson and Thompkins looked to be running on fumes. Edelman made it through last season thank God and hopefully he and Gronk can stay healthy. Too many ifs for me, but oh well.

Hey Deus, your right i have not been paying attention AT all for the last three years. I just started watching football today.. here let me do some research so i can be an expert like you

Based on points scored/points allowed
2013 offensive rank:3
2012 offensive rank:1
2011 offensive rank:3

2013 defensive rank:10
2012 defensive rank:9
2011 defensive rank:15

Yep. top 3 offense the last three years. Better add MORE offense.

2013 AFCC NE 16 - DEN 26
NE scored 1 FG through 3 quarters and finally scored a TD @ 9:26 in the 4th quarter. The Pats never had the lead and the game was not as close as the score indicates.The Broncos could have run the score up but chose to have mercy.

2012 AFCC NE 13 - BALT 28
The # 1 ranked offense was punched in the mouth. 1 TD and 2 FGs in the first half and shut out in the 2nd half completely on their own field. All too familiar ending as the Pats struggle to score points vs SB quality teams

2011 SB NE 17 - NYG 21
Surprisingly the Pats lead most of the game, but never had enough to put the Giants away. Shut out again the 4th quarter.

Lets leave the offense alone. Yup.

2013 AFCC NE 16 - DEN 26
NE scored 1 FG through 3 quarters and finally scored a TD @ 9:26 in the 4th quarter. The Pats never had the lead and the game was not as close as the score indicates.The Broncos could have run the score up but chose to have mercy.

2012 AFCC NE 13 - BALT 28
The # 1 ranked offense was punched in the mouth. 1 TD and 2 FGs in the first half and shut out in the 2nd half completely on their own field. All too familiar ending as the Pats struggle to score points vs SB quality teams

2011 SB NE 17 - NYG 21
Surprisingly the Pats lead most of the game, but never had enough to put the Giants away. Shut out again the 4th quarter.

Lets leave the offense alone. Yup.

I like how your post is basically saying throw more offense at it, lets get into shoot outs, when what you should be thinking is, hmm maybe if we could keep these other teams under 20 points we might have a chance.

Assuming the Pats reach the post season, White and Finch will hit the rookie wall.

Like Collins did last season?

I like how your post is basically saying throw more offense at it, lets get into shoot outs, when what you should be thinking is, hmm maybe if we could keep these other teams under 20 points we might have a chance.

You still have to score points to win. Do you really believe the Pats would have beat the Seahawks in the SB with Gronk?

Because I don't. Seattle would have figured out a way to take Gronk away and then the Pats are right back at square 1 without their best weapon. That's the problem with Pats. Too much reliance on 1 player carrying the offense.

we can debate this til the end of time itself, Defense wins championships. we have a top 3 offense, a top 3 offense doesnt win a title

a top 1 offense doesnt win a title.

A top tier defense WINS a title.

Our defensive rank is exaggerated because teams are always playing catch up. Soon as we play a GOOD defense we lose.

The solution? MAKE our DEFENSE better then other teams OFFENSE.

The Pats added Mike Jenkins and Donald Jones last year. So, Im not counting on LaFell.

While I understand and agree with the notion that some have been overhyping Brandon LaFell, I am not seeing any comparison whatsoever between LaFell and the players that you pointed out.

Perhaps you aren't very familiar with him, which is understandable due to the fact that he played in CAR? He is much better than either one of those WRs by far, and has improved quite nicely in his 4 seasons.

He is a rising talent (in my opinion) taken in the 3rd round of the 2010 draft, who may benefit from having more opportunities from a real QB here in N.England. Time will tell, but the acquisition itself is much better than the JAGs that you mention above.

Last edited:
we can debate this til the end of time itself, Defense wins championships. we have a top 3 offense, a top 3 offense doesnt win a title

a top 1 offense doesnt win a title.

A top tier defense WINS a title.

Our defensive rank is exaggerated because teams are always playing catch up. Soon as we play a GOOD defense we lose.

The solution? MAKE our DEFENSE better then other teams OFFENSE.

Teams win titles. Offenses don't win titles. Defenses don't win titles. For crying out loud, the two Patriots SB losses to the Giants are living freakin' proof. You win titles when your offense and defense are playing good complimentary football at the right time, and health can be a huge part of things.

2011 Giants - 9th offense, 25th defense
2007 Giants - 14th offense, 17th defense

Teams win titles. How many years of proof do you people have to see before you get that through your damned heads?

I'm jumping on the Amendola train this season. It is my hope that he puts up a monster plus 100 catch plus 1000 yard season just to piss off all the haters.

"haters"? there's only ONE hater I can think of...but he's got multiple personalities...oh wait...I get it.

You sly devil, Aus...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back