PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Dobson get cut when LaFell returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Keyshawn Martin has passed him on the depth chart, and he was supposedly just brought in for special teams. Not looking good for Dobson,

tavon goes first. one of the worst picks ever.
At the end of last year he had a nice role as a dime DB that played closer to the LoS but haven't seem him much in that capacity this year.

And yes, as a 2nd round pick BB whiffed on him.

@PP_Rich_Hill: The Patriots brought Brandon King up from the practice squad, and he ranked 3rd on the team with 20 ST snaps, behind Freeny, Ebner (22).

Tavon Wilson would be getting the axe IMO. Cutting him would also free up 700-800k of cap I think which would help for a potential mid season trade. King looked pretty good on STs.
...and King will eventually take Wilson's role as the dime DB that plays closer to the LoC as he did last year.

It looks like Keyshawn Martin has passed him on the depth chart, and he was supposedly just brought in for special teams. Not looking good for Dobson,
Thats the thing with this team. If you are a "role" player on offense or defense you MUST play STs.

Dobson is a role player. That is why he was inactive and that is why he is in danger of getting cut or traded.

right now, I'm thinking between DB wilson and DT thornton

Thats the thing with this team. If you are a "role" player on offense or defense you MUST play STs.

Dobson is a role player. That is why he was inactive and that is why he is in danger of getting cut or traded.
Amendola resuscitated his Pats career when he went to Bill and asked to play ST. Wake up, Aaron. You don't have enough "want to".

right now, I'm thinking between DB wilson and DT thornton
The DT situation is a high-class problem.

The had a nice 5 man rotation yesterday. Branch, Seal, E, Hicks and Brown.

No idea where Thornton fits.

They'll also need to figure out where DT Chris Jones fits in when he is ready. They might say screw it and IR him.

Amendola resuscitated his Pats career when he went to Bill and asked to play ST. Wake up, Aaron. You don't have enough "want to".
Absolutely.

Dobson has been on ST units. Its just that he isn't as good as others on STs.

Clearly Martin is better than him in that area.

If so then Dobson needs to buy a bunch of juggs machines and set them up around his house to play Kato to his Pink Panther. Walk in the front door and juggs fires one at him. Step into the garage, another. Out to the patio, another.

I always think of David Givens when people mention the Jugs machine.

I thought he looked terrible when he finally got his chance to play as his hands didn't look very good.

I mentally wrote him off as having any chance at all of being on the team next year, but he spent a lot of time on the Juggs machine that offseason and returned as a crushing blocker and physically strong WR who could now reliably catch, and the rest was history.

Hopefully Dobson goes all David Givens in the offseason and makes himself an NFL* WR.

Note: I HATE autocorrect!

Hey stupid android, if I meant to type tribe instead of terrible I would have done so!

Dobson's time is quickly running out.

the fact that martin came in after the season started and is already on the field more says something.

I wouldn't be suprised to see dobson cut, or traded for a 7th.

I always think of David Givens when people mention the Jugs machine.

I thought he looked terrible when he finally got his chance to play as his hands didn't look very good.

I mentally wrote him off as having any chance at all of being on the team next year, but he spent a lot of time on the Juggs machine that offseason and returned as a crushing blocker and physically strong WR who could now reliably catch, and the rest was history.

Hopefully Dobson goes all David Givens in the offseason and makes himself an NFL* WR.

Note: I HATE autocorrect!

Hey stupid android, if I meant to type tribe instead of terrible I would have done so!

Dobson's time is quickly running out.

the fact that martin came in after the season started and is already on the field more says something.

I wouldn't be suprised to see dobson cut, or traded for a 7th.

Overall I think Dobson has worked hard to get to this point.

However there are some players that once they reach a point, they get a little complacent and take their foot off the gas a little and feel a little entitled.

Pure speculation but Dobson may be one of those players. This is not the organization that tolerates that behavior.

At this point I wish he would just so people here would stop talking about him. :)

I don't think it would be Dobson, I think he makes it through at least one more year. I'm thinking Tavon or a D-lineman.

Not a fan of Tavon Ash?

Dobson seems like a typical case of a player that would be working fine in other offenses but not in the Pats offense. Ive lost my hopes.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Edelman - 51 snaps
Martin - 50 snaps
Amendola - 36 snaps
Slater - 3 snaps
Dobson - inactive

I'm sure Aaron can read the writing on the wall. He's no longer on scholarship, whether he makes it through the season or not.

I think Dobson stays the rest of this year but may not be back next year.
when LaFell returns, maybe Wilson or Ebner are gone. King seems the same or maybe better than both of them.

Dobson had it all and was performing nice up until the injury. Too bad he just couldn't do anything after 2013. He's done IMO

Rather than break this down by traditional positions, here is a list of players the Patriots use in the passing game:

Rob Gronkowski
Julian Edelman
Brandon LaFell
Danny Amendola
Dion Lewis
Scott Chandler
Keshawn Martin
Aaron Dobson

Potentially Capable Backups

James White
Matthew Slater

That is a lot of capable players catching passes from Brady. With Martin emerging as a capable, reliable target and LaFell returning, will Dobson get cut? He might be WR5 behind Edelman, LaFell, Amendola, and Martin, with Gronk and Lewis being used as WR as well. I think it's unlikely the cut comes from another area of the roster, though it's possible.

Many might argue Chandler isn't safe either because his lack of impressiveness so far, but the Patriots need him as an insurance policy. He is the only other TE on the roster who can catch passes and is a good red zone threat because of his size.

You were doing great til you put Slater there. Players have been drafted, had decent careers and retired since he caught his pass.

Dobson seems like a typical case of a player that would be working fine in other offenses but not in the Pats offense. Ive lost my hopes.

Oh really? What makes you say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back