PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone know anything about the Bills (or care)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can't see it, but I'm playing a violin as I type this.

in 2008 the pats got shredded with injuries, lost a hof qb, and still managed to contend for the division with 11 wins.
although, you guys could claim you field a suck qb EVERY year, but at least they can prepare for that.

Facts is facts.

I'm sure none of you have ever brought up your injuries around here, especially Brady's a couple of years ago.

I didn't make a big deal about it; it was just a small fraction of a post.Twenty something guys on IR, more injuries on top of that to key guys, and being the most injury plagued team means something...take it for what it's worth. I'm sure some original brave soul will come back with the "the guys who got hurt sucked anyway" response.

BTW, you can't see it, but I'm flipping you the bird right now.

Buffalo Bison would've been perfect. Bills just makes no sense, because Buffalo Bill Cody was a Wild West guy. They have a buffalo (bison) on their helmet anyway, not a caricature of Bill Cody. Why is the city named Buffalo anyway? They should've named it Denver, then Denver could've been named Buffalo and its team could've been the Bills. Those people screwed it all up.

Buffalo Bisons is pretty redundant, isn't it? We do have a minor league baseball team that goes by the Buffalo Bisons right now. Maybe they can move to Denver some day and we can all die happy.

Uncle Meat--You seem to wanna talk some football, which is why I am here. The fact that you are a member of another team's fanbase, means absolutely nothing to me. We're all football fans in some way.

Starting with your coach---I actually thought that the HC you had last yr did a decent job of rallying the troops, so to speak. I was impressed with the fact that they were playing some tough-nosed, inspired football. I'm not sure I wouldn't have kept that coach, instead of Gailey.

The rush defense wasn't too good, but the secondary was great, as they were top 5 there for a while. An obvious bright spot was the rookie Byrd, and I still believe Whitner is a decent player too. Yes, injuries hurt them. The secondary + turnover causing defense has reason for optimism. The fact that they have decided to go 3-4 gives me concern, as I think they may have set themselves back a few yrs possibly--at least until they get the proper personnel in there to run a good 3-4.

The QB--I think I would've gone out and been a bit more proactive in search of an established vet (Delhomme, McNabb) or maybe have traded for someone or something a bit more hopeful (Bulger? even). I'm not sure that the QB position is too hot, at least IMO.

Skill position players--Jackson and Spiller are obvious bright spots, and maybe even Lynch can add to a decent RB group. I thought that the WR position should've been used a little more last year, and that the depth itself (1-4), was actually better than ours before the season started. Lee Evans is a beast, and James Hardy should be at least a viable option. Not sure if Reed is still there or not, but they may be able to pick up some type of established vet sometime before the season starts.

This should be enough of a start for discussion. To bottom line it, I actually thought that BUF was on their way after a few 7-9/8-8 seasons, and that they could've been a WC contender maybe. Now with another change at HC + the wrong personnel for a 3-4 change at defense, I'm not so sure they didn't actually take steps backwards.

was it byrd who fumbled the ball on the kickoff in the first game and then got his house vandalized?

was it byrd who fumbled the ball on the kickoff in the first game and then got his house vandalized?

No. It was Leodis McKelvin, another top 10 pick. He is a young CB, who is a decent returner. Fortunately for us, he wasn't a good returner on that specific play.

Last edited:
Facts is facts.

I'm sure none of you have ever brought up your injuries around here, especially Brady's a couple of years ago.

I didn't make a big deal about it; it was just a small fraction of a post.Twenty something guys on IR, more injuries on top of that to key guys, and being the most injury plagued team means something...take it for what it's worth. I'm sure some original brave soul will come back with the "the guys who got hurt sucked anyway" response.

too bad you didn't have 40 on IR -- you guys would be in the superbowl this year.

Facts is facts.

Calm your self. The bills suck, but it a different way then the jets..the bills suck because they have zero talent. (except at punter)

Buffalo Bisons is pretty redundant, isn't it?

Not really. Buffalo Buffaloes would be redundant. Bison makes a ton more sense than Bills. If I owned the team I'd rename them Bison. Otherwise they need to take the buffalo off the helmet and replace it with a picture of Bill Cody. The franchise needs to start making sense somewhere, why not start with its name?

Uncle Meat--You seem to wanna talk some football, which is why I am here. The fact that you are a member of another team's fanbase, means absolutely nothing to me. We're all football fans in some way.

Thanks for that. I'm with you.

Starting with your coach---I actually thought that the HC you had last yr did a decent job of rallying the troops, so to speak. I was impressed with the fact that they were playing some tough-nosed, inspired football. I'm not sure I wouldn't have kept that coach, instead of Gailey.

You're talking about Perry Fewell. He was our defensive coordinator under Jauron. He's now the defensive coordinator of the Giants. The Bills were 3-4 under Fewell. Two of the teams we beat were the Chiefs and the Colts' scrubs (they laid down to us, too), so hooray to that. The other team we beat under Fewell was Miami, another team with a losing record. He DID show more fire than Jauron, but that's not saying much...although, he did a good job under the circumstances. I think that some of players started worrying about their jobs after Jauron was fired, and that had something to do with playing better.

Personally, I'm glad we didn't make Fewell Head Coach. We needed to clean house. He might have wanted certain coaches to stick around or stick with schemes that weren't working. The thing that pissed me off the most about Fewell was that, while jockeying for the job, he didn't just put Brian Brohm in there at QB at the end, especially against the Colts' scrubs. We had nothing to lose, and it would have been nice to see more of that kid. I don't blame him for doing it, but I didn't like it. Fitzpatrick is NOT the future at the position.

Anyway, at least the front office and the coaches are all on the same page now. Nix helped to scout and build the San Diego team, and Gailey made the playoffs both years he was an NFL head coach. We got Doug Whaley from Pittsburgh to groom at GM of the future. That's the positive spin.

The rush defense wasn't too good, but the secondary was great, as they were top 5 there for a while. An obvious bright spot was the rookie Byrd, and I still believe Whitner is a decent player too. Yes, injuries hurt them. The secondary + turnover causing defense has reason for optimism. The fact that they have decided to go 3-4 gives me concern, as I think they may have set themselves back a few yrs possibly--at least until they get the proper personnel in there to run a good 3-4.

The pass rush was bad, and the run defense was terrible. That's all on the front seven, so I think that switching to the 3-4 right now makes all the sense in the world. Let's face it, they didn't really have the personnel to play a decent 4-3, either. Switch to the 3-4 now and find out exactly where they stand with that, so they'll be in a better position to know what the weaknesses are there after having seen it...and know where to go in 2011. It's a process. Anyway, we got Dwan Edwards from the Ravens and have Marcus Stroud to start at DE...we also drafted Alex Carrington in the third at DE. We have Kyle Williams (who is underrated) and drafted Troup in the second to play Nose.

Our DEs were mostly undersized, so the idea was to get bigger on the line, clog it up, and let the linebackers make more plays. A lot of our DEs are now LBs. To me, switching Aaron Maybin to OLB is like getting another first round draft pick. If he belongs anywhere, it's at that position. Kawika Mitchell and Andra Davis both have experience in the 3-4. Posluszny will be fine in any scheme, but I think he'll do better in this one. Schobel might retire, too, so that would be losing one of our best lineman.

Like I've said before, we'll switch things up and show different looks, including the 4-3. I don't see switching schemes affecting the secondary too much. They ended the season ranked #2. 28 INTs and only 14 TDs allowed. Thank Jauron for that...a former DB himself. Our depth in the secondary is pretty great, too.

We'll see what happens.

The QB--I think I would've gone out and been a bit more proactive in search of an established vet (Delhomme, McNabb) or maybe have traded for someone or something a bit more hopeful (Bulger? even). I'm not sure that the QB position is too hot, at least IMO.

Hard to argue against this at this point. We tried for McNabb, or at least that's the rumor. Dunno about Delhomme after what he did last year...and he's 35. Bulger had a couple of good years, but I don't know what kind of contract he would want...not sure if he would be a waste of time...probably. I was thinking about Jason Campbell as a stop gap, but that didn't happen. The pickings were slim. Gailey has a reputation for doing well with not-the-best QBs. I knew going in that the QB situation would less than ideal.

We have Brian Brohm, who was picked in the second round by Green Bay as insurance in case Rodgers didn't pan out. He was projected to go in the first round until he decided to play his senior year, where his stock dropped. He ended up on their practice squad, as they decided to only keep only 2 QBs on the roster. They tried to keep him when we nabbed him, but he decided to come to Buffalo, where he has a shot to play. Anyway, that's a lot to say about a guy that is a shot in the dark. Levi Brown was a great value pickup in the 7th. A lot of guys really like this kid...he's obviously a developmental project though. Fitzpatrick is a backup at best, and I think he might be the odd man out this year. I'm still holding onto a shred of hope for Edwards, who has shown potential...I think he was thrown to the Lions too soon. Anyway, it's a four-way competition for the spot. LOL.

We'll see what happens. If it all goes to ****, we'll probably go QB in the first next year...or at least should.

Skill position players--Jackson and Spiller are obvious bright spots, and maybe even Lynch can add to a decent RB group. I thought that the WR position should've been used a little more last year, and that the depth itself (1-4), was actually better than ours before the season started. Lee Evans is a beast, and James Hardy should be at least a viable option. Not sure if Reed is still there or not, but they may be able to pick up some type of established vet sometime before the season starts.

I happen to think that Lynch is better than Jackson, if he can get his head out of his rectum. All three of our running backs can catch the ball very well, too. About time that we actually design decent screen passes with blockers out front...basic things like that which we haven't been doing. Look for two RBs in the backfield a bit. Spiller can line up anywhere and make plays on his own. I'm a little excited about Shawn Nelson's potential at tight end. Again, we have some pretty good prospects as WR. Little known is Stevie Johnson, who has looked good with little opportunity. Reed is gone. I think Roscoe Parrish was never utilized the way he could be, so maybe we'll see him in the slot a lot more. Hardy had a major injury at the end of his rookie year, which basically shut him down last year, too. Let's see if he can pick it up. Our 4th round pick, Marcus Easley, is developmental. We also have your Chad Jackson, who the Pats thought enough of to trade up 16 spots in the second round to get. I hope you were wrong in letting him go...one can hope.

This should be enough of a start for discussion. To bottom line it, I actually thought that BUF was on their way after a few 7-9/8-8 seasons, and that they could've been a WC contender maybe. Now with another change at HC + the wrong personnel for a 3-4 change at defense, I'm not so sure they didn't actually take steps backwards.

Well, I obviously have a bias for my team, as many people do. I think Jauron absolutely needed to go, and our GM, who didn't even really have that title, was a marketing guy. Something had to give, and not a moment too soon. We'll see if any of these changes pan out, because it's all speculation at this point. Keep in mind that it's a process. Buddy Nix said something like they only let us pick one guy at each spot in the draft...we needed about three.

I'm not saying it's impossible that Chad Jackson will -- finally -- "get it". But if that's who you have to build your hopes on you're pretty desperate!

I'm not saying it's impossible that Chad Jackson will -- finally -- "get it". But if that's who you have to build your hopes on you're pretty desperate!

Nah, I just mentioned him in passing. I think he'll be a backup if he even makes the team. Missing the preseason with a bad hamstring and then tearing his ACL, both in his rookie year, did not help him. He missed most of his second year because of that, too. Didn't get much playing time at all after the injury. He was out of the league last year as far as I know, so I know he's a longshot.

James Hardy, our second round pick in 2008, also tore his ACL late in the season in this rookie year and put on PUP for much of his second year. He didn't really see the field much last year with T.O. out there. Hardy was the second WR taken in that draft. He'd have to make a miraculous comeback to become a decent #2 receiver as well.

Gotta at least root for both of these guys.

I have more faith in Steve Johnson to be the #2, but who knows what will happen?

Uncle Meat--FWIW profootballtalk reported today that Hardy has a decent shot at starting opposite Evans day one.

The kid certainly has a chance, as you said #2 WR taken in the draft.

Off topic--I wasn't aware that Fewell had the defense playing a 3-4 last year, maybe they can make the switch earlier than thought. It would certainly help your team's cause if Schoebel didn't retire.

From our perspective here, we're hoping he never plays again.;)

Uncle Meat--FWIW profootballtalk reported today that Hardy has a decent shot at starting opposite Evans day one.

The kid certainly has a chance, as you said #2 WR taken in the draft.

Off topic--I wasn't aware that Fewell had the defense playing a 3-4 last year, maybe they can make the switch earlier than thought. It would certainly help your team's cause if Schoebel didn't retire.

From our perspective here, we're hoping he never plays again.;)

Hardy's got as good of a shot as any, maybe more. He probably has the most upside. Dunno what will happen; maybe they'll rotate guys until somebody shuts everybody else up. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised at seeing Hardy starting opposite Evans. I think Roscoe Parrish has potential in the slot but was just misused by the last staff. Really like Stevie Johnson, though, like I said.

But no, Fewell didn't have the defense playing the 3-4 last year. Maybe you misunderstood? Believe me, the switch can not hurt us, only help. Besides things I've already mentioned, the Bills offense has struggled against 3-4 defenses, so practicing against one should prepare them when they face one, which happens quite a bit.

Finally, Schobel is only 32 years old. He's looking at a position switch to OLB, where he'd be when we are playing the 3-4, which will be quite a bit or most of the time, I guess. They don't reveal the details...Anyway, Schobel might want to stay in Texas with his family; that's the thing, or that's what he says. Can't see him leaving all that money on the table, though. You know he's a good player.

I honestly think that I could try out for the bills and make the team.

I honestly think that I could try out for the bills and make the team.

Thinking of trying out for mascot? It'll give you your big chance to put on your douche uniform. Waterboy?

Better yet, maybe you can try out for the next Pat the Patriot. I hear there is an opening, as the last Pat got nabbed in a prostitution sting. Ain't that cute?

Thinking of trying out for mascot? It'll give you your big chance to put on your douche uniform. Waterboy?

Better yet, maybe you can try out for the next Pat the Patriot. I hear there is an opening, as the last Pat got nabbed in a prostitution sting. Ain't that cute?

I'd destroy a Bills try out.

That's all ya got?

Our MASCOT had a prostitution scandal?

Really?

You guys must really miss that cameragate thing :D

That's all ya got?

Our MASCOT had a prostitution scandal?

Really?

You guys must really miss that cameragate thing :D

Oh come on! You've got to admit that's pretty funny in a sleazy and morally disreputable kind of a way.

This fella doesn't look like he'd be interested in joining him:

steely.jpg

The Bills are sort of like a family's special needs child. He's earnest and tries hard, but has two strikes against him out of the starting gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back