Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think the Patriots are even in talks with Asante's agent at this point?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Crazyeechrispats1, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazyeechrispats1

Crazyeechrispats1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just as the post states do you think the front office is actually looking at 08 as if Assante could be part of the grand scheme?
  2. D-cleater

D-cleater Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

nope.

Maybe there's an offer out there but I'd bet their energy is directed in areas where they have better odds of success.
  3. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

i think so..why wouldnt they be trying to make offers and trying to work something out? they arent just gonna lay down and let him walk
  4. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

The real question is whether Asante would give the Pats a final chance to match or up the offer he gets from another team. This was something Vinatieri did not do and why he was villified by many fans.
  5. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +41 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

If they are it must be like that scene from Jerry Maguire with Samuel shouting "Show me the money!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

The kid is going to absolutely rake, both Trufant and Asomugha were franchised so Samuel is far and away the best CB, and he is young and he is good.

The Pats got 5 very productive years out of him, pretty good score for a 4th round pick. It would have been nice if they had drafted his replacement in 06 or 07 but lets hope they hit the jackpot again this year.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  6. DropKick Flutie

DropKick Flutie Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I doubt it. He is going to see how much money teams throw his way, sign with the highest bidder and like that... he's gone.

Unless he is signing with a superbowl contender, he should at least ask the Pats if they want to match. But seeing how much Nate Clemens got last year (8yrs 80 Million), and Samuel is a clearly a better CB than Nate, the money will be too much to match for him to come back.
  7. Crazyeechrispats1

Crazyeechrispats1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd like to trade for a cornerback like a deangelo hall who i believe can be a upgrade.

#12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didn't he say that it was, on a scale of 1-10, a 10 that he'd return? I obviously think it's more of a 1, but I do think that indicates some kind of communication... at least til he signs with someone for the most money.
  9. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -2

#12 Jersey

Could be wrong, but I thought it was a 10 that he'd like to return, with it being implied that that was if they offered him the right amount. If I'm the pats' FO, I make him my best offer (7m per year or so?) right off the bat and, if he doesn't take it, I stop wasting my time.

#12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh ok, that makes sense. Yea I agree with your post. I just feel like his price is going to be way too high. He hasn't hid what he's looking for so I don't think there's gonna be much leeway on negotiating, and the kinda contracts he's gonna get...id be shocked if he returns.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Sometimes reaching agreement not to franchise can build goodwill. Did with Shaun Alexander, although the Seahawks may now wish it hadn't. I had hoped down the stretch as his INTS dried up, Asantee might be formulating a reality based value system. He looked almost forelorn at times. But by the time he got to Hawaii and the mediots all started stroking him he was looking like Deion Branch redux. He appeared to be back to believing that Clemens was a starting point. Some other team for whom he will do as little good as Clemens did in SF will likely step up and get him rich to this.

I doubt the Patriots have bothered to make a new offer, why insult him... They likely told his agent they would be interested in talking to him before he signs anywhere else, probably just to say goodbye though.
  12. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +196 / 45 / -22

No Jersey Selected

I realize that the following questions are of the horse-has-already-left-the-barn variety, but:

Why would the FO, or any team's FO, promise someone not to use the Franchise tag on him?

As long as the club does not exceed the number of times it can apply the designation on a particular player, then why would it willfully relinquish its ability to take advantage of that which was in good faith collectively-bargained?

Just as well, anyway. According to Reiss, the Franchise salary for CB is $9.46M. I really wish that something long-term can be arranged, but not at almost 9 1/2 M per annum.

When the doors of free agency open on the 29th, the Pats need to find at least 2 reasonably-priced, starting-calibre CBs, esp. if Gay and - to a lesser extent - Wilson follow Samuel out those doors. And 2 more on draft weekend, too.
  13. jbb9s

jbb9s Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

(A) This dude has a tat that say "get paid." I don't know of Bruschi, Harrison or Faulk having the same one. Asante is gone.

(B) Nate Clements signed a funny money contract where 17M is in the last year. He will never see a penny of that. (if someone can explain the reasoning behind him agreeing to this contract, please explain).
  14. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

they'll talk before he signs with anyone, but i doubt they'll even come close to matching what someone will offer. he's gone, say bye to him, and his tattoo:rolleyes:
  15. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

To get him into camp last year.

And why wouldn't they? The Pats negotiating stance with Asante made it pretty clear that while they franchised him, they weren't prepared to pay him elite CB $. That means it is highly unlikely they would have franchised him again anyway so what did they really give up?
  16. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

After today @ 4, What's Asante's FA competition at the position?
    As someone else said, he's probably the best available and there are teams that have $$$ and CB is a big need for them.
    I'm looking at Jax in terms of good teams. There are plenty of bad teams out there.
  17. PittPatriot

PittPatriot PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

#11 Jersey

Nicely put. I wish we'd draft more Samuels that would not become Chris Cantys. Remember when we drafted him under Pete Caroll? His best asset was his 'swagger'...clearly the most important attribute of the CB position. I mean, who needs speed, intelligence, athleticism, and instincts?
    Thank you for setting us back another 3 years by drafting a guy who couldn't stick with a single NFL team and had too much swagger to play special teams...
    http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/04-97/04-20-97/b01sp070.htm

18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +926 / 5 / -4

My guess is that Samuel has no desire to negotiate with the Pats until he is free to get offers from other teams. He is so close to free agency, he won't want to sell himself short by taking a deal from the Pats before finding out what else he gets. Granted his agent will fielding offers illegally this weekend at the combines just like every agent with a pending free agent will be.

I also assume the Pats made an arrangement with Samuel to allow them to match any offer he gets.

Lastly, I assume that Samuel will be playing for another team next year. With all the franchise tags out there, Samuel is the Holy Grail of free agents.
  19. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +196 / 45 / -22

No Jersey Selected

Thanks for the trip down (bad)memory lane. What an F'd Up FO we had back then.

Before he became Wrong Bogus, Ron Borges - who had called Sam Madison a much better CB prospect - described Chris Can'tHe as "a slow dwarf". It made for good reading whenever he ripped Booby Grier in '97, '98 and '99.
  20. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Id say that there is a take it or leave it offer of 5yrs 35 mill or something like that for him.. But I think they reserve the right that they are moving on..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.