Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do you think Josh McDaniels will be back next year?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MrNathanDrake, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +333 / 14 / -13

#95 Jersey

[​IMG]

It took a few weeks. The offense started out kind of sluggish this year. But they've really found they groove since the game against the Rams in London.

and to think.... we've barely had Gronk and Hernendez on the field at the same time this year.

I didn't like McDaniels play calling in a few games early on this year, but I can't complain at all now. He's done a great job.

Surely there will be more HC offers to him. Either from College or from other NFL teams.

Do you think he comes back next year as our OC?
  2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

If he's smart he'll ride out the Patriots gravy train for a few more seasons adding to his repertoire.
  3. Finnishfan

Finnishfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't think he will receive HC offers (in plural) from NFL teams this offseason because most articles that I have read about his HC capabilities seem to refer to him having to mature a bit more before he is ready to take charge of a NFL team. Sure there are lots of teams in need of a HC like every year, and McDaniels being a "high risk, high reward" type of HC prospect, he could get an offer from some team desperate to turn the franchize around.

Whether he would accept or not, I have no clue.

I don't know if there are "worthwhile" college programs for McD that have an opening, so I'll leave that speculation to others.
  4. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

As long as Brady keeps playing, that' gravy train will keep chugging along.
  5. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

he will have to stay for one more year if he wants a good NFL coaching job
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

Said this in a similar thread last week, he is the heir apparent to BB and will assume that role here when BB moves on, also believe that there is some unwritten agreement between he, BB and Mr. Kraft that he will remain...
  7. randomk1

randomk1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

That gif is hilarious.

McDaniels is super excited as if he had just thrown the pass and Brady is just like "Hmm..good call."
  8. qbno12

qbno12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If I remember correctly, Brady gets excited and does a fist pump right after JMD ... :)
    Can't find that gif/video anywhere...
  9. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Rookie

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -2

No Jersey Selected

Agreed. And I'd add an "at least" before the "one more year." And i'm not in the "heir to BB" crowd; I just think Belichick isn't going anywhere for a while. Maybe if McDaniels goes the college HC route for a few years before Belichick retires.

On that GIF: Is that after the play-action bomb to Lloyd?
  10. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am one of those long time fans who feels that JMcD is the heir apparent to BB as HC of the NEP. I think in the grand scheme of things ..his departure to "sow his royal oats"..so to speak, was a necessity so both side knew where their bread is buttered. Now..take into consideration that odds are...after BB retires as HC..he would presumably make GM the next chapter in his football legacy. Where else could he remove himself from the field and still be able to "Buy the groceries" and pull the HC strings. Adding a few SB's victories under the guise of GM to his already amazing NFL resume is exactly what a nostalgic football man would probably like to accomplish....makes sense to me
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. BrickPat

BrickPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I don't mean this as a dig at Josh but he didn't exactly shine in Denver as the HC. He is a perfect fit for the Pats given his proven and established value to Brady and vice versa. However that specfic skill set doesn't automatically make him qualified to be a sucessful HC with lesser talent.

McDaniels may be the heir apparent but I want to see how he does post- Brady. Obviously no HC will have the level of sucess of BB who was both brilliant and had one of the GOAT at QB. Having said that I'd be curious how McDaniels would coach up/developed Mallet (or another QB).
  12. Dagg

Dagg Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Josh and any other Offense coordinators we have had looks awesome when Brady is the QB and average when he is not.

Josh, Charlie Weiss, Bill Obrien (but i must say he did a good job at penn st)

Kinda like fools gold looks all shiny but not worth near as much without TFB.
  13. Chopblock CB

Chopblock CB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I believe that the coaching of Mallet has already begun. It's unfair to compare any coach to BB...but the advantage the Josh McD has over anyone else is that BB will ALWAYS be there. Like I mentioned in my last post here "To pull the strings of the HC" Although BB won't be on the sidelines in person...he'll be there in spirit if you know what I mean..wink...wink...He'll probably be tapped into the Intercom system with a direct line to McD's headset.....:singing:
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  14. BrickPat

BrickPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I prefer to invest my confidence in stuff other than horosocpes, fortune cookies and spirits. :D I know what you're getting at but once BB retires (or *gasp* takes another HC job) he will be gone.
  15. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +333 / 4 / -10

I'm not sure it matters.....he wasn't here most of last year or the year before and the offense scored over 500 points
  16. RelocatedPatFan

RelocatedPatFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 1 / -0

The other question would be, would he want the HC job if it was even offered.

Would it be better to serve in Heaven or Rule in Hell?

On a personal note, does he really think he's righted all the mistakes he made being a HC in Denver? I imagine he has a little more perspective now and that may serve him well in his continuing education of becoming a good HC rather than a HC. The next one may be make or break for his career as a potential HC.

So, if he's smart, he'll tread carefully and wait for the right opportunity. Good team, good slot of draft picks, ...
  17. SuperStang83

SuperStang83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#24 Jersey

I live outside of Philly and I can tell you that there is no shortage of callers and hosts throwing his name into the "ring."

Jacob
  18. Nehalem

Nehalem Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Didn't McDaniels get the Denver job at least partly on the strength of what he did with Cassel in 2008?

Didn't Charlie Weiss make Cassel look pretty good in KC in 2010?
  19. Froob

Froob Rookie

Ratings:
    +114 / 5 / -3

#32 Jersey

How would anybody know this? Or is this just speculation?
  20. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +333 / 14 / -13

#95 Jersey

It was when Hernendez was left uncovered in the red zone.

McDaniels mustve called it out in Bradys headset. "Hernendez is wide open" and they rushed the snap and he tossed an easy TD to Hernendez.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.