PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do you think Josh McDaniels will be back next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the moment he was brought back I was hoping he'd be here at least 3-5 years, and that hasn't changed. I think it'd be a huge mistake for him to take another coaching vacancy this early, especially for a franchise like Cleveland where most are destined to fail. It'd be bad for all parties involved, I think it's in his best interest and ours that he stay on a while.

I'm almost positive that was the Lloyd play. I may be wrong though.

I don't see any NFL HC coaching jobs coming his way anytime soon. He was a MASSIVE Failure in Denver...made some atrocious decisions as a HC. Alot of his players disliked him. Then he goes on to St. Louis and again massively fails as their OC. Started off slow here...seems to be back on track now. I agree with the poster who said he should ride it out here with BB a few more years and see what happens. Now he could get some college HC offers (maybe not top 10 teams)

mclol.gif

It took a few weeks. The offense started out kind of sluggish this year. But they've really found they groove since the game against the Rams in London.

and to think.... we've barely had Gronk and Hernendez on the field at the same time this year.

I didn't like McDaniels play calling in a few games early on this year, but I can't complain at all now. He's done a great job.

Surely there will be more HC offers to him. Either from College or from other NFL teams.

Do you think he comes back next year as our OC?

If a team offers Josh and HC gig after this year they are foolish. And if he takes it he's even dumber than they are. He was a disaster in Denver and St Louis was not anything that could be considered a success. He was widely portrayed within league circles as immature and impulsive and I can't see a team that is already losing, gambling on thier future with a HC with his reputation. This guy needs more seasoning. Period!

It was when Hernendez was left uncovered in the red zone.

McDaniels mustve called it out in Bradys headset. "Hernendez is wide open" and they rushed the snap and he tossed an easy TD to Hernendez.

I don't think it's possible for it to be the Hernandez play. JMcD is standing in front of a bench, and no bench is that close to the end zone.

Looks like all the posts are pretty much the same as the posts that were there in the the last McDaniels thread about 2 weeks ago. I eagerly look forward to the next thread will is scheduled to be started sometime just before the Jags games. The one after that is scheduled right after the first coaches are fired after the season ends, and the next one..... :rolleyes:

STOP IT, ALREADY!!!!! BB would NEVER have rehired McDaniels if there was ANY chance he'd leave after one year...or 2 years... or 3 years. Is he the heir apparent. I don't know. It would make a lot of sense. But what I DO know, is that Josh McDaniels isn't leaving the Patriots organization, any time in the near future.

McDaniels mustve called it out in Bradys headset. "Hernendez is wide open" and they rushed the snap and he tossed an easy TD to Hernendez.
FYI - the feed to the QB's helmet is shut of something around 20 seconds before the play is snapped. Its pretty much only on long enough to get the play in and that's it. There is no yelling of last minute instructions

If a team offers Josh and HC gig after this year they are foolish. And if he takes it he's even dumber than they are. He was a disaster in Denver and St Louis was not anything that could be considered a success. He was widely portrayed within league circles as immature and impulsive and I can't see a team that is already losing, gambling on thier future with a HC with his reputation. This guy needs more seasoning. Period!

that's debatable.

The young core of players he brought in have done some great things.

Jay cutler is an over rated QB who will never win a title
Brandon Marshall is a headcase who is on his 3rd of 4th team.

You say that the broncos tenure was a disaster, but they started out that year on fire before the defense sputtered.

The year after he was let go, the players he drafted put them in the playoffs.

Now the broncos have a legitimate QB in peyton manning(something that never would have happened if not for getting rid of cutler) good young defensive players, and a number one receiver in thomas.

While he might not have set the world on fire, he had setup the ground work which has turned into a really solid team.

FYI - the feed to the QB's helmet is shut of something around 20 seconds before the play is snapped. Its pretty much only on long enough to get the play in and that's it. There is no yelling of last minute instructions

Actually, it's when the playclock reaches 15 seconds. So the channel is open for 25 seconds. We run a play every 27 seconds on average, so guess the channel is pretty much always open between TB and McD.

Now this I'm not sure of, but I do recall there being a difference in huddle vs. no-huddle, and I'm not sure which one had that 15 second radio silence rule.

Last edited:
I don't think McDaniels would leave for any place that doesn't have a top level young QB in place. Fortunately for Patriots fans, that means he's not going anywhere. No team with a top young QB is going to have a coaching vacancy this offseason.*

*Unless you count Newton as a top young QB, which I do not

Last edited:
I don't see any NFL HC coaching jobs coming his way anytime soon. He was a MASSIVE Failure in Denver...made some atrocious decisions as a HC. Alot of his players disliked him. Then he goes on to St. Louis and again massively fails as their OC. Started off slow here...seems to be back on track now. I agree with the poster who said he should ride it out here with BB a few more years and see what happens. Now he could get some college HC offers (maybe not top 10 teams)

Time has proven McDaniels to have been a lot better with his decisions than he was given credit for in Denver. McDaniels never had a chance in that town, because the idiots in the fan base were solidly in the Cutler camp, and they also refused to accept that fixing a dying franchise takes more than just one season to fix, unless you find a Luck/RGIII type of impactful QB.

Last edited:
I don't know whether he'll get offers. There will be those teams who see his Denver tenure as a total failure, and thus stay away from him (that one year in St. Louis too), and then there will be those teams who are desperate, will see how well he seemlessly returned here, and be willing to give him another shot.

I hope he stays here for another few years rebuilding his resume and reputation with Brady. If nothing else, a few jobs come open every year, and why not put some distance between yourself and a couple of bad years, particularly when you have a shot to look spectacular in the process. You might get this gig if BB decides to pack it in, or you will be sought after at a premium. Right now, you'll probably get a low ball offer, with a reminder that this new team is taking a real chance on you after your last debacle. The longer you stay with the Pats and they do well, the more likely it will seem that it was not YOU that went wrong in Denver and St. Louis, but those franchises.

As Pats fans, most of us rave of the work that Dante has done with the offensive line over the past 20+ years. Can one dream of McDaniels' success and reputation if he was the Patriots OC for ten plus years? At that point, who would not want him as a HC?

He may go after next season but i don't believe he came in for one and done.

He is now the absolute perfect fit as OC of the Patriots....just like he was in 2007 and 2008. :bricks:

Last edited:
mclol.gif

It took a few weeks. The offense started out kind of sluggish this year. But they've really found they groove since the game against the Rams in London.

and to think.... we've barely had Gronk and Hernendez on the field at the same time this year.

I didn't like McDaniels play calling in a few games early on this year, but I can't complain at all now. He's done a great job.

Surely there will be more HC offers to him. Either from College or from other NFL teams.

Do you think he comes back next year as our OC?

yes, he will be the OC for years to come...and when BB retires, McD will be the head coach

I wish him the best whatever his future holds... as long as he doesn't go to the jets.

I think they turn the headset off with 15 seconds left on the play clock...nevertheless...there were 3 or 4 times receivers went wide with no coverage...

Josh and Denver makes me think of the rough years Belichick had in Cleveland. I remember more than a few fans that were worries when Kraft gave up a draft pick to bring BB into Foxboro. Looks like a no brainer now, but there was a lot of criticism of BB's handling of the Bernie Kosar situation. And, to be fair, he would have been run out of town in New England if benching Bledsoe in favor of an unproven 6th round skinny kid had turned out to be anything less than historic.

I think the more interesting comparison, tho, is the good career moves that McDaniels has made in comparison to the self-destructive idiocy that Mangini put himself through. First, to leave the Patriots on bad terms, and then burning bridges with the spygate scandal to make himself look smarter. He got what he deserves, thrown out of a crummy Jets organization, thrown out of a crummy Browns organization and scratching for TV gigs. If Mangini had played his cards better, he might have been back as DC in Foxboro too after a failed HC stint somewhere else... maybe not the Jets, but the Kansas City or Cleveland jobs might have come to him if he'd been more patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes