PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we upgrade our WRs this offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calvin or Jeffrey would be great
I dont think Hue would trade Gordon
If you want to go cheaper Rod Streeter could be worth a call.

If LaFell can make a comeback then I think they'll fine as long as line plays well. Wide out was not the problem Sunday.

I would much rather pay decent money to Forte than big money to Jeffries. And while I felt they should abandon the run against the Broncos it was because they didn't have the horses not because it isn't important. Brady will continue to be able to run a quick hitting offense but they need to both add a deep threat and a first down back who can give them more than Blount does. A first down back like Forte would allow them to run first and give the OL the opportunity, to dish out the hits and not be a four quarter punching bag and that should really help their overall performance. LaFell is an OK possession receiver but they need to bolster their downfield passing game so teams can't simply pack it in the first 10 yards to shut down the short game as Denver did Sunday. I have no faith in Dobson anymore and want him replaced by a tougher more explosive WR with size but think it will have to come in the draft because they can't use that kind of money for that role as it will cost them 10 million and they need that to resign their young defenders.

Could we get Ryan Matthews from Philly?

Brady is going to be 39 next year, he can't continue to carry this offense. He needs help, he needs more playmakers to bail him out when he doesn't throw a perfect game in my opinion. Gronkowski is the best weapon in the NFL, but he is only one weapon and he's injury prone. Gronk needs help.

I would love to take the 9 million were paying amendola and Lafell combined and pay it to an Alshon Jeffrey type

Jeffrey would be the perfect type a wide receiver who can bail out a 39 year old Brady when he doesn't always make a perfect throw
We win the SB with these receivers and an average or just better than average OL.
Tom Brady allows the Patriots to not overspend on WRs because he makes them better, therefore, we are able to spend on other positions to improve the overall team.
"Helping Tom Brady" isn't the goal. Winning is. Spending excess resources for helping the guy who least needs it isn't the best plan.

If you really want to help Tom, you start committing to build a respectable running game today ..that includes looking at the guys you have and making honest assessments, looking at the line you have and making honest assessments and taking it from there. Having a a legitimate run game would do wonders to already incredibly potent offense...at the very least it would prevent games like last Sunday's where a whole defense can just focus on one thing : Hit #12/

Not before OL, RB & #2 TE.

We win the SB with these receivers and an average or just better than average OL.
Tom Brady allows the Patriots to not overspend on WRs because he makes them better, therefore, we are able to spend on other positions to improve the overall team.
"Helping Tom Brady" isn't the goal. Winning is. Spending excess resources for helping the guy who least needs it isn't the best plan.

Tom Brady doesn't make a receivers hands better, routes crisper, nor make him better after the catch. TFB performs better with better receivers to throw to, having better receivers helps us win. This doesn't mean it makes sense to blow huge money to get Calvin Johnson but upgrading the WRs should be a focus.

Tom Brady doesn't make a receivers hands better, routes crisper, nor make him better after the catch. TFB performs better with better receivers to throw to, having better receivers helps us win. This doesn't mean it makes sense to blow huge money to get Calvin Johnson but upgrading the WRs should be a focus.
Upgrading everything is a focus. Hands and crisp routes are not the issue. Health is. Blocking is.
Having better anything helps us win, but WR is the least additive value.

Upgrading everything is a focus. Hands and crisp routes are not the issue. Health is. Blocking is.
Having better anything helps us win, but WR is the least additive value.

Unless you're developing a magic potion to prevent Edelman/Gronk/Amendola from getting injured the other receivers on the roster should be better if we plan on winning the SB.

Brady is going to be 39 next year, he can't continue to carry this offense. He needs help, he needs more playmakers to bail him out when he doesn't throw a perfect game in my opinion. Gronkowski is the best weapon in the NFL, but he is only one weapon and he's injury prone. Gronk needs help.

I would love to take the 9 million were paying amendola and Lafell combined and pay it to an Alshon Jeffrey type

Jeffrey would be the perfect type a wide receiver who can bail out a 39 year old Brady when he doesn't always make a perfect throw
Everyone remember how awesome the offense was in 2007? What if that offense had a Gronk on it? This team does, now add a real deep threat to take pressure off of Jules and Gronk and Lewis. Wow! I feel like many Pats fans opinions on this have been "Felgerized". Don't listen to him he's an idiot. There is no legitimate reason you can tell me as to how having that kind of player is a detriment to Brady. More talent equals more margin for error due to injuries. If we had that one extra player in the form of a deep threat WR we win one more game at the end and that game is in Foxboro where our offensive line can hear the calls and our crowd is making it loud for Manning.

Calvin is threatening to retire because he's is so sick of playing in Detroit just like Sanders was. I think Bill will give the Lions a call and feel that situation out.

NGPF: some of us have been preaching this for years but it has always fallen on BB's deaf ears. We have injury prone Skilled players ie... Gronk - Edelman and Lewis this Offense needs another good player to compliment that trio. If BB want to go into next season banking on all three remaining healthy he has more faith than me. This Team via FA needs a Good RB and a Good WR they can fix the OL in the Draft.

This!
(Dion Lewis - Fixed)
We go into Playoffs with DL & our OL healthy, MUCH different outcome.

*Dion Lewis* have NEVER played a full season in his young career *might be a pattern* and Gronk is a knee hit away from being on IR. Love Gronk to death but the way he built and the way they have to tackle him Gronk will not have a long career in this league as harsh as it sounds. Gronk needs legitimate help he cannot be the focus of our Offense.

TBH I wouldn't mind a complete revamping of the WR Core outside of Edelman

NGPF: some of us have been preaching this for years but it has always fallen on BB's deaf ears. We have injury prone Skilled players ie... Gronk - Edelman and Lewis this Offense needs another good player to compliment that trio. If BB want to go into next season banking on all three remaining healthy he has more faith than me. This Team via FA needs a Good RB and a Good WR they can fix the OL in the Draft.
BB is excellent at adjusting his needs when he feels it's right. He had midgets for years and and the fans said he was genius. Then he got big and got Moss and Stallworth and he was called a genius. BB goes with two TE sets with a midget WR...he's a genius. So I feel confident in saying that whatever direction BB takes the offense he will be praised despite most of the fans saying right now to stay with the status quo.

Yes, how many times did they try to go deep with LeFell this year. Should tell you everything you need to know. Also they have been looking at WR's in the draft the last few years and how many different WR's have they had on the practice squad.

I liked Coates from Auburn and he would have been a good pick-up in the 3rd round. Steelers got a steal.

Not sure you can say the Steelers got a steal at this point. He had 1 catch for 11 yards this year.

Not really concerned about WR though there are a couple names that are interesting on the market like a Marvin Jones, Travis Benjamin or Andre Holmes...

I recommend watching the Marvin Jones highlights simply because it includes the game where he caught like 5 touchdowns on the Jets in the same game :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back