PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we CUT BAIT with Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now Butler is not fit to be the #5 CB on the team? For me, he could easily be the top nickel back next year. He could be a backup cb, a backup nickel, or/and a dime back. The roster has 53 spots (soon to be 56 I expect). There is room for 10 defensive backs. Butler is a lot better than what we have had in the past as our 8th, 9th or 10th defensive back.

As of NOW, for 2011 we have Boddin, McCourty, Arrington, Wilhite and Butler. I'm fine with that five. After all, these five are already an MAJOR UPGRADE over 2010; we are replacing Carter with Bodden.

That being said, I'm fine with others being acquired to try to win roster spots from these folks in camp. I am fine with carrying a developmental corner that can be developed.

But make, no mistake, the secondary is a strength in this defense. We are adding Bodden, at least one of the bottom three figures to be better in 2011.

Early on Tramon Williams had a big problem with committing PI penalties that were completely uncalled for at inopportune times.... Packers fans used to call him "Admiral Armbar"

I think you give him another year at corner #4. He's awfully talented, and I'm guessing he's also #2 on the kick returner depth chart.

I just hope we eventually have a winnning season. Seems all this team has is dead wood from reading these forums.

More concerned about safety than I am CB.

other the Tate and he's 2 TD's on KR's this year i cant remember a 3rd round pick ever doing anything for the pats in the BB era so i say no if he gets a pass rush he will be better

Ellis Hobbs had some great kick returns.

Hobbs and Kaczur have been somewhat tolerable starters.

But yeah -- a 3rd rounder is a trading chip or gambling chip.

Just disgusted that this guy hasnt panned out.

Why are you concerned about safety?

I'm not particularly concerned about either one.
The Pats pass D was bad, so that automatically means DBs are the problem. Zero pass rush has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Will Bodden be ready for 2011?

If there IS a 2011?

Butler has shown improvement this year. Hes not a front-line player but still has the potential to be a slot DB.

1) We use 4 safeties to play the position (certainly at least 3) plus a 5th Ster.
2) In our schemes, it takes at least a year before someone is valuable as a position safety.
3) For 2012, we have Chung (for the rotation) and Brown (our Ster).
4) For 2012, we have 3 openings at safety. If you tell me that we have extended Meriweather AND Sanders AND Page, then I agree that we don't need a safety.

Why are you concerned about safety?

I'm not particularly concerned about either one.

No way...Butler will be an awesome nickel back next year.

Grade: 2009 F; Grade 2010 Reg. Season 1st half; F; Grade 2010 Reg. Season 2nd Half: C-; Grade 2010 Grade Playoffs: Actual and predicted: F

He is a keeper with a lot of potential and all AFC coaches hope and pray continues to be on the 2011 NEP roster.

I thought this kid would step up this year, but he looked awful at times and not very good most of the time. Braylon again burned him in the playoff game. He's athletic, but he gets out of position quite easily. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems it's just a matter of time before we cut him.

We def have some sunny optimists on this board. Butler is horrible. Period. I am a UCONN fan and this kid simply stinks in the NFL. I am tired of watching him get lit up the entire season with zero sign of improvement. Buh-bye.

I thought this kid would step up this year, but he looked awful at times and not very good most of the time. Braylon again burned him in the playoff game. He's athletic, but he gets out of position quite easily. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems it's just a matter of time before we cut him.

Kinda harsh saying someone got burned after the QB had 8 seconds to throw.

Other CBs got burned badly that day too.

No pass rush, that's what happens.

Kinda harsh saying someone got burned after the QB had 8 seconds to throw.

Other CBs got burned badly that day too.

No pass rush, that's what happens.

That was just an example, maybe a bad one.

I'm a fan of Butler and want him to succeed, but he just had a bad year. Next year, Bodden comes back and he'll likely start opposite McCourty which will leave Arrington the leading candidate to play nickel. That means Butler and Wilhite will compete for the dime position. I never thought I'd say this, but based on their play with our defense the past few years, Wilhite is more competent and reliable compared to Butler. Wilhite always seems to be in place to make the play, he just can't make the play. Compared to Butler who always seems to be a few steps behind or is not even close and have no chance of making the play.

I hope he can come in next year and study up. He maybe has the most athleticism amongst our DBs, it's just a shame that he doesn't know what's going on.

Will Bodden be ready for 2011?
I would think considering when he went on IR (August) and how long it has been since had surgery (Sept 2), then he should have sufficient time to rehab. I know for baseball players and quarterbacks, coming back from a torn rotator cuff can be a long process. However, corners don't have to throw the ball. And yes, I do realize he still has to get his arm up to defend a pass and to tackle; I'd be more concerned if it was a knee or a hip injury than a shoulder injury.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/726497-leigh-bodden-update.html
BostonHerald.com - While his team’s been winning, what has Patriots CB Leigh Bodden been doing?
Leigh Bodden (LeighBodden) on Twitter

Nnamdi Asomugha :rocker:

Butler is fine in a #4 CB role. The stuff everybody get's crazy about has so much more to do with the #1 need which is a pass rush. It's taken years to re-assemble a decent secondary with speed and playmaking ability. When QBs were forced to throw because they were down and the defense was on a roll, these guys were immense. As the season wore on and these guys came to work as a unit, the secondary got better. I don't see why you'd break that up. You put a couple of fast and physical pass rushers up front to move the pocket around and force guys to throw before they're ready and the Pats can lead again in takeaways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes