PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Do we CUT BAIT with Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was just an example, maybe a bad one.

I'm a fan of Butler and want him to succeed, but he just had a bad year. Next year, Bodden comes back and he'll likely start opposite McCourty which will leave Arrington the leading candidate to play nickel. That means Butler and Wilhite will compete for the dime position. I never thought I'd say this, but based on their play with our defense the past few years, Wilhite is more competent and reliable compared to Butler. Wilhite always seems to be in place to make the play, he just can't make the play. Compared to Butler who always seems to be a few steps behind or is not even close and have no chance of making the play.

I hope he can come in next year and study up. He maybe has the most athleticism amongst our DBs, it's just a shame that he doesn't know what's going on.

I think Butler had 2 bad games to start the year, and then was replaced by a guy who looked even shakier in my eyes, but that guy ended up improving week after week and by the middle to 3/4 of the season, he was better than Butler and playing really well.

Even still, Belichick benched Arrington for Butler in the middle of a few games, and Butler had really good production later on. I don't see what people were complaining about with Butler after the first part of the season.

I think Arrington is great for 3WR formations for next year, but I don't see him in the slot. His hips don't flip quick enough.

I do think though that Bodden is not a shoe-in to start. He has to win his position back.

I do think though that Bodden is not a shoe-in to start. He has to win his position back.

With the current candidates at CB, Bodden could wear a blindfold and tie his arms behind his back and still reclaim his starting spot.

That was just an example, maybe a bad one.

I'm a fan of Butler and want him to succeed, but he just had a bad year. Next year, Bodden comes back and he'll likely start opposite McCourty which will leave Arrington the leading candidate to play nickel. That means Butler and Wilhite will compete for the dime position. I never thought I'd say this, but based on their play with our defense the past few years, Wilhite is more competent and reliable compared to Butler. Wilhite always seems to be in place to make the play, he just can't make the play. Compared to Butler who always seems to be a few steps behind or is not even close and have no chance of making the play.

I hope he can come in next year and study up. He maybe has the most athleticism amongst our DBs, it's just a shame that he doesn't know what's going on.

I agree with you, I didn't see this improvement that everyone keeps talking about, the only reason he was even on the field most of the time, is because Wilhite (who's not that great) went on IR. I wouldn't be shocked if he was cut. Especially with Bodden coming back. I mean the Pats did cut Wheatley a 2nd round pick after 2 season.

Grade: 2009 F

This right here negated the rest of your post. How the hell can you give Butler an F for the rookie season he had? He was their only reliable corner not named Leigh Bodden and had a pretty good season outside of a few inevitable rookie moments 97% of all corners have (McCourty being the rare exception in the other 3%). The big reason people are so pissed at how he played this season is because of how promising he looked after 2009.

I'm still lost as to why people are so interested in changing the secondary around. Given the complete absence of a pass rush and the absence of their 2nd best corner I'd say the secondary played about as good as it could have against the Jets. Cotchery's long catch was the only play where the secondary really broke down which was in large part due to the 15 yard cushion we all hate. All of their Jets' other big plays through the air were due to no pass rush/great throws by Sanchez the defense was basically daring him to make.

Corner isn't a group that's desperate for an upgrade, and that seems pretty obvious. McCourty is a probowl level LCB. Bodden is a borderline-probowl level RCB. Butler/Arrington are a nickel/dime duo that can do pretty much what any other team's nickel/dime corners can. The team has so many needs that rank higher than corner.

This right here negated the rest of your post. How the hell can you give Butler an F for the rookie season he had? He was their only reliable corner not named Leigh Bodden and had a pretty good season outside of a few inevitable rookie moments 97% of all corners have (McCourty being the rare exception in the other 3%). The big reason people are so pissed at how he played this season is because of how promising he looked after 2009.

I'm still lost as to why people are so interested in changing the secondary around. Given the complete absence of a pass rush and the absence of their 2nd best corner I'd say the secondary played about as good as it could have against the Jets. Cotchery's long catch was the only play where the secondary really broke down which was in large part due to the 15 yard cushion we all hate. All of their Jets' other big plays through the air were due to no pass rush/great throws by Sanchez the defense was basically daring him to make.

Corner isn't a group that's desperate for an upgrade, and that seems pretty obvious. McCourty is a probowl level LCB. Bodden is a borderline-probowl level RCB. Butler/Arrington are a nickel/dime duo that can do pretty much what any other team's nickel/dime corners can. The team has so many needs that rank higher than corner.

qft

10 char

That's what camp and preseason are for. They'll bring in some competition, plus Bodden and Wilhite will be back.

Arrington was a great story, but if Butler can't beat out other competition, he'll be gone one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft