PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Disturbing stats for Brady

Status
Not open for further replies.
No team in the league respects the Pats' running game, and rightfully so. Some people still cling to the idea that Brady is still capable of carrying the offense without a legit ground threat--he isn't. Ever since other the league got film on our first few games, it's been relatively easy for teams to limit our passing game.

People here have been calling for a more balanced attack since 2007 and it hasn't happened. What's going on? Are Belichick, Ernie Adams, BOB, et al. just plain stubborn? Our running game is worse now than in any year I can remember.

During their heyday, even the passing-happy Colts had Joseph Addai who kept defenses somewhat honest. Belichick thought Maroney would be our Addai and when it didn't work out, he turned to UDFA's and [way] over-the-hill vets to try to patch up the running game. And now that failure would explain the Ridley and Vareen picks, although quantity vs. quality in drafting now appears to be failing there as well.

Last edited:
No team in the league respects the Pats' running game, and rightfully so. Some people still cling to the idea that Brady is still capable of carrying the offense without a legit ground threat--he isn't. Ever since other the league got film on our first few games, it's been relatively easy for teams to limit our passing game.

People here have been calling for a more balanced attack since 2007 and it hasn't happened. What's going on? Are Belichick, Ernie Adams, BOB, et al. just plain stubborn? Our running game is worse now than in any year I can remember.

During their heyday, even the passing-happy Colts had Joseph Addai who kept defenses somewhat honest. Belichick thought Maroney would be our Addai and when it didn't work out, he turned to UDFA's and [way] over-the-hill vets to try to patch up the running game. And now that failure would explain the Ridley and Vareen picks, although quantity vs. quality in drafting now appears to be failing there as well.

Why is it rightfully so that teams don't respect the Pats' running game? The Pats won two games this year in large part because of the running game. The Pats Grounded and Pounded against the Jets for 152 yards. The week before the Pats rushed against Oakland for 183 yards. Now the last two weeks the Pats have quit on the run too quickly but before the Steelers' game, I think the Pats had the sixth ranked running offense prior to the Steelers' game.

I think teams are stupid to not respect the Pats' running game. The Pats actually have a pretty good running game. When the Pats want to run, they run really well. The problem is that the Pats give up on it too quickly when the offense is not doing well.

As for the film to stop this offense, it has been three games where the Pats haven't been great on offense. And it was against three really good defenses. Let's not go overboard.

This team has a very good running game. They just need to stop abandoning it when they struggle on offense especially since people are going to go into mostly nickel defenses against the Pats. I thought the Pats started out with a decent strategy last week, establish the run early and then use the playaction to take pressure off of Brady (BJGE got 23 of his 52 rushing yards in the first drive), but by the end of the first quarter they almost all but abandoned the running game. I wonder if it was because BJGE's toe was not doing well.

BJGE got 136 yards vs. the Jets in the first game, he could be a key to this game too.

Last edited:

Blah,blah,blah

Complete nonsense.

Don't turn ball over

Make chipshot FG's

Win by 3 scores Sunday.

Blah,blah,blah

Complete nonsense.

Don't turn ball over

Make chipshot FG's

Win by 3 scores Sunday.

I agree. The Pats should have won that game. They outplayed the Giants until the final five minutes. The Pats moved the ball better. They stopped the Giants for the most part. I point to two plays that were the difference in the game - the missed field goal and the Brady strip sack on the Pats' 10 yard line (although the strip sack was as much good defense as bad blocking). You take away those two plays and the Pats probably win. In fact, you take away the strip sack and the Pats probably win.

Not crying about them, but just showing how close that game really was even with the Pats offense not playing well for nearly 3 quarters and the defense falling apart in the final 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Teams not respecting the run game is just flat out wrong. You make a choice when you play teams like NE, Greenbay, NO, etc.

When you have the best QB's in the NFL paired with capable RB's, what do you think teams will focus on? The pass is much more dangerous in todays NFL than the run, especially with Brees, Brady, and Rodgers slinging it around.

Teams not respecting the run game is just flat out wrong. You make a choice when you play teams like NE, Greenbay, NO, etc.

When you have the best QB's in the NFL paired with capable RB's, what do you think teams will focus on? The pass is much more dangerous in todays NFL than the run, especially with Brees, Brady, and Rodgers slinging it around.

Exactly, teams would rather take a shot that they are killed by the running game than have Brady put 40 points on them in a track meet. That gamble backfired on the Raiders and Jets this year. It paid off with the Giants and Steelers since the Pats abandoned the run in both games.

I agree. The Pats should have won that game. They outplayed the Giants until the final five minutes. The Pats moved the ball better. They stopped the Giants for the most part. I point to two plays that were the difference in the game - the missed field goal and the Brady strip sack on the Pats' 10 yard line (although the strip sack was as much good defense as bad blocking). You take away those two plays and the Pats probably win. In fact, you take away the strip sack and the Pats probably win.

Not crying about them, but just showing how close that game really was even with the Pats offense not playing well for nearly 3 quarters and the defense falling apart in the final 5 minutes.

Rob

If ya turn it over, ya can't expect to win.

Even the cornacopia of stupid, elaborate explanations isn't even that bad.

What is embarrassing is the continual excuse making.

It appears Tom Brady is now the love child of Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb. I have yet to see any excuse those two haven't received.....and then some.

Rob

If ya turn it over, ya can't expect to win.

Even the cornacopia of stupid, elaborate explanations isn't even that bad.

What is embarrassing is the continual excuse making.

It appears Tom Brady is now the love child of Peyton Manning and Donovan McNabb. I have yet to see any excuse those two haven't received.....and then some.

Hey, look another quality post in this thread without any actual content or insight! :bricks:

Last edited:
Happened upon these stats while making a different thread, but:

LOOKING AT DEFENSIVE PASSER RATING:
Consider that of the teams in the TOP 10 in the league in opposing QB rating:
- All but one have 5 wins or more
- Six of 10 have 6 wins or more
- In all, these 10 teams have won 70% of their games

Consider that of the teams in the BOTTOM 10 in the league in opposing QB rating:
- Only one is above .500 (the Patriots)
- Excluding the Patriots, these teams are winning just a mind-boggling 25% of their games.

When I look at this, and see that the Patriots are in the bottom 10 in the league in a category which is so clearly correleated to a team's overall success, yet we remain 5-3, it makes me chuckle a little at the very premise of patpsycho's thread here.

If all the other teams with pass defenses in the realm of being as bad as ours win just 25% of their games, what makes us different? If all the teams with good passing defenses win 70% of their games, and we still win at a rate comparable to that - what's the reasoning?

Last edited:

Consider that of the teams in the BOTTOM 10 in the league in opposing QB rating:
- Excluding the Patriots, these teams are winning just a mind-boggling 25% of their games.

When I look at this, and see that the Patriots are in the bottom 10 in the league in a category which is so clearly correleated to a team's overall success, yet we remain 5-3, it makes me chuckle a little at the very premise of patpsycho's thread here.

If all the other teams with pass defenses in the realm of being as bad as ours win just 25% of their games, what makes us different? If all the teams with good passing defenses win 70% of their games, and we still win at a rate comparable to that - what's the reasoning?

Well, Manning had his second lowest passer rating against the Pats this last Sunday of his season. His QB rating on Sunday was 77.9 which is well below his 98.8 season QB rating. I think the Pats are improving in this area, but the stats are skewed because of the start of the season. They will never be in the top ten, but they are rising up the list.

Last edited:
Well, Manning had his second lowest passer rating against the Pats this last Sunday of his season. His QB rating on Sunday was 77.9 which is well below his 98.8 season QB rating. I think the Pats are improving in this area, but the stats are skewed because of the start of the season. They will never be in the top ten, but they are rising up the list.

I agree - the team is clearly improving, especially at home.

Our passer ratings at home, by week:
97.7; 105.6; 87.1; 77.9

Noticeable improvement against Romo & Manning.

Last edited:

Premise? I'm not going on premise. I just point out how the numbers speak for themselves.

Brady is the one player that is hurting his team the most with all the turnovers he has generated. Even you would agree that that's very uncharacteristic of him, but it is still happening, period.

Our running backs haven't turned over the ball once, it goes to reason that we give them a little more stake in winning the games.

Premise? I'm not going on premise. I just point out how the numbers speak for themselves.

Brady is the one player that is hurting his team the most with all the turnovers he has generated. Even you would agree that that's very uncharacteristic of him, but it is still happening, period.

Our running backs haven't turned over the ball once, it goes to reason that we give them a little more stake in winning the games.

But think about that line of thought PP - Brady had 4 INTs last year; the RBs had little to no fumbles that I can recall. Did Brady hurt the team more than the RBs last year? God, no. His 4 INTs was an unprecedented event.

I concur that Brady has not been himself of late, but to say he's the reason we have 3 losses instead of 1 or 2? No, I would rather put it that he's the reason we have 5 wins instead of 3. This defense started off historically god-awful and is just now getting out of the dreadful category as it makes strides; so any disappointment on its current record needs to be directed to that side of the ball.

Just look at all the teams with comparable defenses - they're all flat out terrible. Colts have 0 wins; Dolphins have 1, Rams have 2, Broncos have 2, Panthers have 2, Vikings have 2, Cardinals have 2. These teams all have very similarly performing defenses - yet, in a similar class, the Chargers are 4-5 and the Pats are 5-3 - why? They have good QBs.

Last edited:
Is this thread a joke? Yes, we will ride to greatness on the back of Danny Woodhead, not Tom Brady. As Mo Vaughn said, "Stupid Boston fans. Stupid!!"

The defense can't stop anybody. That's why they lost to Buffalo. That's why they lost to Pittsburgh. That's what lost the Giants game. That's why they aren't going anywhere. Without Brady they are a horrible team. End of story.

Last edited:
Re: Has Brady been worse this year than last?

Brady is still having a very good season, sure he has missed a few targets but his receivers are average compared to Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez, without brady none of those receivers would be able to step up and make those plays. That Steelers game, he didnt play up to his potential but i don't think anyone could have beat Pittsburgh at home that game. Baltimore got lucky, bradys clutchness is off the roof this year, look at the final drive in the dallas cowboys game and against the giants

Brady has been very good this year if not for the numerous batted passes that have turned into INT's this season. And no, I'm not saying that he hasn't thrown one based off of bad decisions. One of those was in the second half of the Giants game this season. But the majority of his picks have come off of batted passes, either by a LB or a defensive back. And yes, we could have beat Pittsburgh in that game... if we had a deep threat that understood the offense or wasn't injured lining up at split-end and a defense that wasn't dedicated to zone coverage in that game.

I'd say that one of the reasons TFB isn't his best is the O line. Losing Kopen has hurt Brady. Having a rookie and Mankins not their best has also hurt him. Only the two TEs and Welker are able to get open often. Branch has his good moments. Ocho is just taking up space on the field. Get get rid of Connelly, Ocho, and Edelman. Get some deep threat WRs in there and get a few big O line guys and Brady will probably get better.

Its a War of Words with Jets fans

The Gang Green Show is a show by the Jets fans for the Jets fans, but also for the rest of the 31 NFL teams. We all know the intense rivalry between the Jets and The Patriots.

Well this Sunday before kickoff, starting from 7pm until 8pm EST, The Gang Green Show will be on LIVE, Jason Halliburton & Naim Williams El return return back and better than ever from Atlanta, GA, Live from Mazzy's Sports Bar (The Official Atlanta Jets Bar) here on BlogTalk Radio.

Jason and Naim will be talking about the Patriots at Jets show down, the fight for the right to claim 1st place in the AFC East and some of the games played in week 10.

We want all Patriots fans to Call-In to the show and give your 2 cents about the Jets, and upcoming game. Will Brady wither under the Jets pass rush, will Wes Welker get roughed up by Revis? It will be an INTENSE fan to fan war of words, stats and facts. But please no profanity, keep it intense but clean.

- Listen and Tune in to the show at 7 pm Est on this link -->The Gang Green Radio Show Online Radio by The Gang Green Show | Blog Talk Radio

- Give your thoughts during the show LIVE by calling the show at (877) 774- 3175 - we'll be with you from 7pm- 8m pm EST

Re: Its a War of Words with Jets fans

This is his 3rd best season, imagine if he was playing at 05 level with this defense.

This isn't 2001-2004. Tom Brady is now the Patriots the way Peyton Manning is the Colts. If Brady is forcing things its because he knows his defense sucks and he has to score tons to win. Brady won the Giants game. Like the Super Bowl, the god awful defense gave it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes