PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did the coaching staff intentionally treat MIA like a pre season game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadHunter

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I have been waffling on asking this since the loss so don't kill me lol

Serious question. Just wondering what you guys think. That was just the strangest game plan I think I have even seen out of the coaching staff. It felt like a pre season game the way they were screwing around on offense trying the run run run and go deep deep deep. It was like they were fine to take the 2 seed..no urgency, nothing.

What say you?

Yeah, I think they see value in getting Jackson going in a limited amount of time. Can't imagine there's any practice substitute for game action if you're a RB. Also, the offense is all out of synch. That can be worked on in practice IMO.

If they were going to do that, I wish they hadn't subjected Brady to Suh and Vernon. Jackson can take handoffs from Garoppolo just fine.

I agree that this game was played pretty much handcuffed, though. It was pretty clear that this gameplan was drawn up acknowledging that our OL was not to be trusted under any circumstances. I don't even like Kline, but we need him and Vollmer back badly. And a competent center, whichever one it ends up being. I'd be fine with Andrews from here on out, Stork just hasnt been right all year.

Absolutely not, they just sucked today. If they were playing this like a preseason game, they would've just started the backups. They just sucked in every facet of the game, offense, defense, special teams, coaching, everything. You think Belichick wanted to lose HFA ?

They treated it like a preseason game in terms of not caring about winning but like a regular season game in terms of risking player injuries.

I know it has nothing to do with what transpired but I have sat down to watch three games this year that I really did not care if we won and in all those games we lost. Eagles, Jets, and Dolphins. I only asked for injury free. I was pissed after the loses against Eagles and Jets, but vs the Dolphins, it is meh..

I think they wanted this game but they certainly didn't play it with the urgency they would an elimination game. Nor the JEts game the week before.

:oops:10pts scored against a bad team is just bad.. No momentum going into post-season..

Patriots better shape up or it will be "1 and done" in the playoffs...

I have been waffling on asking this since the loss so don't kill me lol

Serious question. Just wondering what you guys think. That was just the strangest game plan I think I have even seen out of the coaching staff. It felt like a pre season game the way they were screwing around on offense trying the run run run and go deep deep deep. It was like they were fine to take the 2 seed..no urgency, nothing.

What say you?
Belichick is way too smart to not think HFA throughout was important. They just sucked badly and I fear for the next game not just the potential road game in Denver. I think KC and Pitt really should be favorites at this point to represent the AFC. No way our whole team just comes back in and out of no where to be good enough. I hope I am wrong of course.

Belichick is way too smart to not think HFA throughout was important. They just sucked badly and I fear for the next game not just the potential road game in Denver. I think KC and Pitt really should be favorites at this point to represent the AFC. No way our whole team just comes back in and out of no where to be good enough. I hope I am wrong of course.
PS.. Even though this contradicts what I just said, Belichick did make a comment about it mattering more how you play then where you play.. But that was before the game and I don't think it meant that he did not care how they played against the Dolphins.

They treated it like a preseason game in terms of not caring about winning but like a regular season game in terms of risking player injuries.

This right here was the one thing about today's game that stuck in my craw... If they did not care, then they should have played the backups primarily, across the board.

They didn't start with any aggressive Offensive attack throwing especially on 3rd downs. I understand getting Jackson involved but feed him when we have a lead or mix him in on Red Zone plays. Play calling was suspect, I think Gronk got a chance like in second have and that was not due to Phin's Def on him. I'm sure he could have gotten open in a seam route or miss match but it looked like BB had a plan from git go and it fed right into Phin's MO and tell me last time Tannehill & Phins looked anything resembling a quality team. It is what it is, couple of weeks to get it together, guys healthy and see how much Edelman has progressed and O-Line can contribute.

Several good thoughts here:

Why the conservative game plan for the Patriots?

My biggest concern is that the OL has fallen apart and they have had esssentially the same personnel. They were bad last week with Vollmer, so he cannot be expected to fix it. They have gotten progressively worse after Edelman went down, so he will not fix it either. They have increasing breakdowns, both mental and physical. The OL is getting beat by everyone, and as much as our coaches try to fix it, it has only gotten worse. Right now they cannot protect and they cannot open rushing lanes. They get little help from the skill players, and now the QB is hobbling. Hopefully they fix enough to win in 2 weeks.

Thanks for the thought out responses guys. Just hard for me to except that they played THAT bad ya know? Seemed kinda like we were trying some different things and also trying not to get anyone injured at the same time. But I also agree with the point if we weren't really going to "try" back ups should have been in....just an odd game all around.

KC scares the hell out of me. They are playing very well right now

Thanks for the thought out responses guys. Just hard for me to except that they played THAT bad ya know? Seemed kinda like we were trying some different things and also trying not to get anyone injured at the same time. But I also agree with the point if we weren't really going to "try" back ups should have been in....just an odd game all around.
The scary thing to me is I think they were trying to win.

Absolutely not, they just sucked today. If they were playing this like a preseason game, they would've just started the backups. They just sucked in every facet of the game, offense, defense, special teams, coaching, everything. You think Belichick wanted to lose HFA ?
He didn't seem to want to win it very badly now did he???

they played conservative enough to keep the game close without risking injuries and try and take adv of any miami miscues .Didnt happen.

They passed 5 times in the first half. FIVE TIMES. No matter who you play who is going to attemp 5 throws all half with winning being a concern, unless you're just dominating on the ground - clearly not the case.

Which is fine if you're just trying to get out healthy, but then you decide to serve bradys head on a platter in 2nd half. Just abysmal approach to this game.

I don't know. That first half seemed solely to get Jackson reps. It was weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST