PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did ESPN accidentally let something slip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Nope. Meyer is not leaving Florida. He's good friends with BB, McDaniels, and Kraft. It's of no suprise that they were talking. Though, I guaruntee you that Kraft said something to the effect of, "we'd love to have you up in New England"...

Belichick makes the trek down to Florida to visit with Meyers every year after the season. He has been doing it for at least four years now. Belichick spends a couple of weeks down there and they bounce ideas off each other. I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

Last edited:
BTW, eventhough the Pats have incorporated a lot of Meyer's offense into their own. I don't know if Meyer's offense would work in the NFL. Brady definitely couldn't run the option like Meyers likes to use.

Please let it be he's our new oc, it's pry alot less stressful and hard on his health than being a head coach. I know he has ties with BB but had crossed him off my wish list for health reasons. It could just be a friendly chat, im sure the times he's visited the team he's built a relationship with mr kraft. Buy it would be sweet.

I wouldn't make anything of it. They're friends, they talk.

Nope. Meyer is not leaving Florida. He's good friends with BB, McDaniels, and Kraft. It's of no suprise that they were talking. Though, I guaruntee you that Kraft said something to the effect of, "we'd love to have you up in New England"...
Remember when Belichick sent McDaniels down there for, I think as long as a week or two; certainly for a few days. Kraft was probably sweet talking Meyer into "taking this Billy O'Brien kid" through his workshop.

I have wanted Meyer to get into the NFL for some time. But not dive into a head coaching job. Being an offensive consultant of some kind and move on up. With the way offenses are trying to add new offenses or new wrinkles, it would be great to have him.

But I doubt it will happen. Crossing my fingers though. Nah...why bother? Wait....

Thanks for the great advice on Chad Jackson.

Patriots need to scrap the run and gun college BS and get back to running the ball.

Last edited:
I guess people have forgotten this NFL.com article from the week of the Super Bowl in the 2007 season. Here is an exerpt:

Belichick now makes an annual, offseason pilgrimage to Gainesville; he's also friends with Florida basketball coach Billy Donovan, who played college basketball in New England, at Providence.

Most significantly, Belichick has soaked up and incorporated elements of Meyer's spread offense. Meyer, however, is quick to tell you that it isn't really his offense, anyway, that, "Most of my ideas are ones that I have borrowed from someone else," adding, "The whole concept of the spread offense started from visiting other great offensive minds."

Said Belichick: "Sometimes, I bounce stuff off him. Sometimes, he bounces stuff off me. I value his opinion and advice when he gives it to me. I appreciate it."

Their alliance has grown since that day in March 2005 when Belichick, fresh off Super Bowl victory No. 3, picked up the phone and called Meyer, who had just arrived in Gainesville after his Utah team became the first non-BCS school to earn its way into a BCS bowl game, then scored a crushing victory over Pitt.

Although the two had mutual friends in coaching and ties to Ohio -- Meyer was born and began his coaching career there; Belichick's family has roots in Ohio, and Belichick coached the Browns in the '90s -- Meyer had to be convinced it was really Belichick on the line.

"Since I didn't have a relationship with him, I thought my assistant, Nancy, was pulling my leg," Meyer said. "My relationship began when he called her and asked if he could meet with me. I was out of the office and hurried back to meet him."

At the time, Meyer had some draft-eligible players Belichick wanted to check out. But Belichick also was interested in Meyer's offense.

"I went down there (to Gainesville), and it was good for me," Belichick said. "The offense he runs is very ... I won't say it's a pro-style offense, but it's an open offense that has a lot of pro elements to it.

"From what I know about Urban, he runs a program similar to the way we run our program, so we talked about lots of things relative to technical football, Xs and Os, how to deal with different stuff that's common (to both pro and college football)."

Belichick turns to unlikey source for coaching advice

BTW, eventhough the Pats have incorporated a lot of Meyer's offense into their own. I don't know if Meyer's offense would work in the NFL. Brady definitely couldn't run the option like Meyers likes to use.

How frequently do you see the option run in the NFL? It doesn't happen because the defenses are too good at playing it and the QBs good enough to stick around just tend to not be mobile enough to run it. They would probably leave it out and develop some other plays. I don't want my QB to take that many hits anyway.

Option offense or not, Meyer puts his players in positions to make plays. The Patriots coaching staff this season hasn't.

Maverick and I have been at loggerheads because his views are too hysterical for mine, but he has had some very good ideas in terms of the Patriots on offense and defense and giving the players opportunities to make plays, rather than the predictable we have been trotting out. Against the Ravens, the entire offensive play-calling was shockingly predictable.

If Meyer were to come to the Patriots, it would be a massive coup. Massive.

Last edited:
Re: Bob Kraft with Urban Meyer at Basketball Game

Wow it just hit me .. It really is the offseason,when we have no news except Kraft talking to Myer at a bb game..

Last edited:
Meyers does not run the option as most of y'all know it from the JC Watts/Oklahoma days. What he runs is a zone read option where the QB is in the shotgun gets the snap, his first read is the HB dive, he either hands it off to the HB or fakes it to him, the read is the MLB, if he comes up for the dive, pull the ball back and hit a quick slant behind him. Other plays come off that, the QB can fake the dive, and then run, or he can roll out, or drop back and throw deep. It is closer to the failed offense that the Pats ran on SUnday and in the horrific loss in SB 42.

The problem with this offense is that there are too many chances for negative plays, which puts you behind the down and distance and removes the run fakes, and now with the limited formations and personel 3rd and long is daunting at best.

What the pats need is to, first off, not get behind 24-0 in the first quarter. The Pats need to get back under center more, make people respect the run game, not allow defense to double both Welker and Moss and then the play action will work. The Pats need a few more explosive offensive players (cough, cough, draft C.J. Spiller, cough, cough). I'm convinced that the Pats were all set to draft Percey Harvin last year (I would have howled at the time, and I would have been wrong) when the Vikings took him at 22, the Pats traded out of 23. Tate will be a starting WR, I'm convinced of that, but the Pats need a serious threat and right now, they don't have one.

Here's what they said:

Kraft: "Urban, the plan is for Bill to coach five more years and then retire to the front office. We'd like you to join us when you see fit -- either before then as assistant head coach or once he retires. Either way, we want you on the sidelines as Patriots head coach in 2015."

Meyer: "OK Bob, you've got a deal."

Option offense or not, Meyer puts his players in positions to make plays.

If Meyer were to come to the Patriots, it would be a massive coup. Massive.

Agreed. I just cannot see how he goes from leaving Florida for health reasons related to job stress immediately to NFL coordinator. You can say it is less stressful than bearing the weight of the entire organization, but from what has been published far from stress free. Not really family friendly either, which would contradict the "time with the family" justification. Love to see it, just can't see it happening.

Last edited:
Kraft was at the game at the invitation of John Calipari, who he is friends with and coaches Kentucky. He probably was just saying hello to Meyer, who is friends with Belichick.

I already created a thread on this. Mods please merge.

QB12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick