Welcome to PatsFans.com

Did ESPN accidentally let something slip?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +632 / 11 / -5

It could be a coincidence, but who knows?

Lane Kiffin to leave Tennessee Volunteers for USC Trojans job - ESPN Los Angeles

2. TriplecHamp

TriplecHamp Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +104 / 2 / -1

#24 Jersey

3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,852 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

Nope. Meyer is not leaving Florida. He's good friends with BB, McDaniels, and Kraft. It's of no suprise that they were talking. Though, I guaruntee you that Kraft said something to the effect of, "we'd love to have you up in New England"...

4. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 13 / -5

Belichick makes the trek down to Florida to visit with Meyers every year after the season. He has been doing it for at least four years now. Belichick spends a couple of weeks down there and they bounce ideas off each other. I wouldn't read too much into it at all.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 13 / -5

BTW, eventhough the Pats have incorporated a lot of Meyer's offense into their own. I don't know if Meyer's offense would work in the NFL. Brady definitely couldn't run the option like Meyers likes to use.

6. Christopher Patriot

Christopher Patriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Please let it be he's our new oc, it's pry alot less stressful and hard on his health than being a head coach. I know he has ties with BB but had crossed him off my wish list for health reasons. It could just be a friendly chat, im sure the times he's visited the team he's built a relationship with mr kraft. Buy it would be sweet.

7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't make anything of it. They're friends, they talk.

8. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Remember when Belichick sent McDaniels down there for, I think as long as a week or two; certainly for a few days. Kraft was probably sweet talking Meyer into "taking this Billy O'Brien kid" through his workshop.

9. Boots Electric

Boots Electric Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have wanted Meyer to get into the NFL for some time. But not dive into a head coaching job. Being an offensive consultant of some kind and move on up. With the way offenses are trying to add new offenses or new wrinkles, it would be great to have him.

But I doubt it will happen. Crossing my fingers though. Nah...why bother? Wait....

10. Mr. Pollard

Mr. Pollard Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the great advice on Chad Jackson.

Patriots need to scrap the run and gun college BS and get back to running the ball.

11. Rob0729

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 13 / -5

I guess people have forgotten this NFL.com article from the week of the Super Bowl in the 2007 season. Here is an exerpt:

Belichick turns to unlikey source for coaching advice

12. the wrothbroughterer

the wrothbroughterer On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

How frequently do you see the option run in the NFL? It doesn't happen because the defenses are too good at playing it and the QBs good enough to stick around just tend to not be mobile enough to run it. They would probably leave it out and develop some other plays. I don't want my QB to take that many hits anyway.

13. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +546 / 12 / -5

#51 Jersey

Option offense or not, Meyer puts his players in positions to make plays. The Patriots coaching staff this season hasn't.

Maverick and I have been at loggerheads because his views are too hysterical for mine, but he has had some very good ideas in terms of the Patriots on offense and defense and giving the players opportunities to make plays, rather than the predictable we have been trotting out. Against the Ravens, the entire offensive play-calling was shockingly predictable.

If Meyer were to come to the Patriots, it would be a massive coup. Massive.

14. QB12

QB12 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -5

#12 Jersey

15. Sean Pa Patriot

Sean Pa Patriot Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Re: Bob Kraft with Urban Meyer at Basketball Game

Wow it just hit me .. It really is the offseason,when we have no news except Kraft talking to Myer at a bb game..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  16. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +276 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Meyers does not run the option as most of y'all know it from the JC Watts/Oklahoma days. What he runs is a zone read option where the QB is in the shotgun gets the snap, his first read is the HB dive, he either hands it off to the HB or fakes it to him, the read is the MLB, if he comes up for the dive, pull the ball back and hit a quick slant behind him. Other plays come off that, the QB can fake the dive, and then run, or he can roll out, or drop back and throw deep. It is closer to the failed offense that the Pats ran on SUnday and in the horrific loss in SB 42.

The problem with this offense is that there are too many chances for negative plays, which puts you behind the down and distance and removes the run fakes, and now with the limited formations and personel 3rd and long is daunting at best.

What the pats need is to, first off, not get behind 24-0 in the first quarter. The Pats need to get back under center more, make people respect the run game, not allow defense to double both Welker and Moss and then the play action will work. The Pats need a few more explosive offensive players (cough, cough, draft C.J. Spiller, cough, cough). I'm convinced that the Pats were all set to draft Percey Harvin last year (I would have howled at the time, and I would have been wrong) when the Vikings took him at 22, the Pats traded out of 23. Tate will be a starting WR, I'm convinced of that, but the Pats need a serious threat and right now, they don't have one.

17. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -20

#61 Jersey

Here's what they said:

Kraft: "Urban, the plan is for Bill to coach five more years and then retire to the front office. We'd like you to join us when you see fit -- either before then as assistant head coach or once he retires. Either way, we want you on the sidelines as Patriots head coach in 2015."

Meyer: "OK Bob, you've got a deal."

18. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

Agreed. I just cannot see how he goes from leaving Florida for health reasons related to job stress immediately to NFL coordinator. You can say it is less stressful than bearing the weight of the entire organization, but from what has been published far from stress free. Not really family friendly either, which would contradict the "time with the family" justification. Love to see it, just can't see it happening.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  19. NE39

NE39 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Kraft was at the game at the invitation of John Calipari, who he is friends with and coaches Kentucky. He probably was just saying hello to Meyer, who is friends with Belichick.

20. QB12

QB12 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +20 / 1 / -5

#12 Jersey

I already created a thread on this. Mods please merge.

QB12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.