PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Devin Asiasi is gone for now

We'll claim a guy to replace him. Even the "In Bill we Trust" crowd has to admit taking two third round TEs and only get five catches out of them is a disaster.

Yep... The Entire 2020 draft outside of Onemenu - heck the Entire Season itself - was a Special Olympics-sized ****ing Catastrophe. Bill should've had his drafting privileges permanently removed the moment that season ended.

Yep... The Entire 2020 draft outside of Onemenu - heck the Entire Season itself - was a Special Olympics-sized ****ing Catastrophe. Bill should've had his drafting privileges permanently removed the moment that season ended.
No.

Dugger was a great pick
Uche TBD
Jennings TBD
Herron is fine for a freaking 6th rounder

The fact him and Keene still ended up as healthy scratches when they were literally the only two tight ends on the roster in 2020 was some early writing on the wall.

Claimed by the Bengals probably to pump him for info on the Pats.

Him and Keene seem to fit that mold of those guys over the years who basically felt like a ‘Patriot in name only’. On the team but seemingly never on the field, no real insight into their personhood, what they represent, etc. Just sort of..there. Oh well. Next.

Hey, Belichick was able to get a 7th for Harry, let him work his magic!
I must've missed a few weeks on Pats fans. Thank you for being the bearer of good news.

That 2020 TE class was really terrible. The team basically had to draft a TE or two, but there weren't many good ones. I can't recall that guy some people wanted, who NO drafted ... Trautman, that's the guy, he's been absolutely disappointing himself, statistically was less productive than Jonnu last season.

Keene seemed like a safe bet for an h-back, but could never get healthy. Asiasi seemed like a lower-floor, higher ceiling guy, but it never really seemed to click for him. A few nice plays here and there, could see the talent, but apparently never was able to gain traction and elevate himself.

The picks were well-regarded at the time, though, and when looking at the alternatives, I don't think they could've picked anyone else who would've been a surer bet. Shame it didn't work out for either of them. I'll be curious of Asiasi is able to be productive with the Bengals or another team.

That 2020 TE class was really terrible. The team basically had to draft a TE or two, but there weren't many good ones. I can't recall that guy some people wanted, who NO drafted ... Trautman, that's the guy, he's been absolutely disappointing himself, statistically was less productive than Jonnu last season.

Keene seemed like a safe bet for an h-back, but could never get healthy. Asiasi seemed like a lower-floor, higher ceiling guy, but it never really seemed to click for him. A few nice plays here and there, could see the talent, but apparently never was able to gain traction and elevate himself.

The picks were well-regarded at the time, though, and when looking at the alternatives, I don't think they could've picked anyone else who would've been a surer bet. Shame it didn't work out for either of them. I'll be curious of Asiasi is able to be productive with the Bengals or another team.
Totally agree, especially with the first two sentences that I bolded. They were drafting for need (which they rarely do), took a few swings, both were misses.

Huge bust of a recent third round pick.
I don't know that I'd refer to any third round pick who gets cut year 3 as a huge bust.

One had injury issues. Some times people get past their injuries and become valuable players (ref: Gronk, Curtis Martin, etc). Some times they don't. Other teams are still kicking the tires on him. He's had workouts in PIT and SF already.

The other had upside, made the game day roster a bunch, just didn't seem to improve with time. Another team claimed him off waivers so they think he can play a role, and we would have kept him had he cleared waivers.

So, "huge bust" seems too spicy to me. "A bit disappointing" is what I'd go with.

Personally, I think the "Draft Industrial Complex" over-hypes all the draft picks, both at the national level and the the local level. We were being told that Keene/Asiasi were the next Gronk/other-guy combination just because it fit a narrative that was easy to push, not because there was any factual basis for it. People bought the excessive hype, now they feel crushed as that hype train has crashed.

The writing was on the wall when we spent $100 million on two free agent TEs
True, that. Shows even more they felt a strong need to get some talented TEs, and when the rookies weren't panning out they felt they had to spend in free agency to try to address the need.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back