PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devastating assessment of Tebow's fitness to play in the NFL, CFL or Arena Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Devastating assessment of Tebow's fitness to play in the NFL, CFL or Arena Footba

1/7 -1 yards 1 int.
In his 3 years as a full time starter in college, he averaged just under 3,000 yards passing per season. He easily could have averaged more if he wasn't also such a talented runner. Obviously the guy has the ability to complete passes.

Oh, but I guess we throw 3 years out the window because he had a bad half in a preseason game against Tampa. :rolleyes:

Re: Devastating assessment of Tebow's fitness to play in the NFL, CFL or Arena Footba

I dont even care about tebow at this point, he will be cut. However I am completely fascinated by the people who are still here trying to defend him and make excuses after what they've been seeing. It's like sitting in a bar watching a guy get punched in the face 17 times trying to decide if the guy hitting him is pissed off at him for something.

So no one wants to comment on the main point of the article - that Tebow has lost his speed and quickness that he had in college?

Anyone?
Speed and quickness is all relative. He hasn't lost anything, it is just that the caliber of opponent is far superior to what he faced at Florida. In college, he would literally be faster than 95% of the people trying to tackle him. In the NFL, that is no longer the case. If he went to the CFL, he would be back to being faster than 95% of the people trying to tackle him.

I dont even care about tebow at this point, he will be cut. However I am completely fascinated by the people who are still here trying to defend him and make excuses after what they've been seeing. It's like sitting in a bar watching a guy get punched in the face 17 times trying to decide if the guy hitting him is pissed off at him for something.
I don't see anyone in here defending him as an NFL QB, but the notion that he would be a failure in the CFL is absurd.

In his 3 years as a full time starter in college, he averaged just under 3,000 yards passing per season. He easily could have averaged more if he wasn't also such a talented runner. Obviously the guy has the ability to complete passes.

Oh, but I guess we throw 3 years out the window because he had a bad half in a preseason game against Tampa. :rolleyes:

Being good in college does not mean you will be good in the pros:bricks:

How are you not understanding this?

this is tebows last shot in the nfl. and hes going to need to do a hell of a lot better then 1/7 -1 yards 1 int 3 sacks in order for BB to be able to look the rest of the team in the eye and say its about performance and nothing else.

Speed and quickness is all relative. He hasn't lost anything, it is just that the caliber of opponent is far superior to what he faced at Florida. In college, he would literally be faster than 95% of the people trying to tackle him. In the NFL, that is no longer the case. If he went to the CFL, he would be back to being faster than 95% of the people trying to tackle him.

Do you watch the CFL? Just wondering where your affirmation on the lack of talent is coming from. Are we are still looking at Tebow as a qb? right? What is the relevance to "people trying to tackle him"? Trying to complete passes would be more important, no? You know, the main thing that QBs do?

Have you ever watched a CFL game? They aren't a bunch of scrubs, they are guys who barely can't make the NFL roster. They are basically the very best college players who couldn't make the NFL. I am Canadian but not a huge CFL fan, but do watch when it's on and can appreciate the QB talent. It's a bigger field and there is a lot more deep passing. The QB's gotta be accurate and good deep ball passers. The receivers are a lot more closely covered in the CFL then in college.

Take a look at Chris Bermans 2 minute drill on Montreals Anthony Calvillo (from Utah State). Chris Berman's 2-min. Drill on Anthony Calvillo - YouTube

He's accurate and makes quick decisions, basically the exact opposite of Tim Tebow. Moon and Theisman are right, Tebow wouldn't stand a chance in the CFL.

Being good in college does not mean you will be good in the pros:bricks:

How are you not understanding this?

this is tebows last shot in the nfl. and hes going to need to do a hell of a lot better then 1/7 -1 yards 1 int 3 sacks in order for BB to be able to look the rest of the team in the eye and say its about performance and nothing else.
I am not talking about his ability as an NFL quarterback. Please do try and keep up with the conversation.

Do you watch the CFL?
I'm sure I watch more CFL than you watch NFL, given that you think a QB having 7-8 seconds in the pocket is a regular occurrence.
Just wondering where your affirmation on the lack of talent is coming from.
You make it sound like I am bashing CFLers, which is not the case. I am simply, accurately stating that the average CFLer is not as big or as strong or as fast as the average NFLer. In terms of talent, they are very much the junior leagues.
Are we are still looking at Tebow as a qb? right? What is the relevance to "people trying to tackle him"? Trying to complete passes would be more important, no? You know, the main thing that QBs do?
Yes, and that's something Tebow did to the tune of 9,000 yards in college. So why anyone thinks he cannot throw a football is beyond me.

Have you ever watched a CFL game? They aren't a bunch of scrubs, they are guys who barely can't make the NFL roster. They are basically the very best college players who couldn't make the NFL. I am Canadian but not a huge CFL fan, but do watch when it's on and can appreciate the QB talent. It's a bigger field and there is a lot more deep passing. The QB's gotta be accurate and good deep ball passers. The receivers are a lot more closely covered in the CFL then in college.

Take a look at Chris Bermans 2 minute drill on Montreals Anthony Calvillo (from Utah State). Chris Berman's 2-min. Drill on Anthony Calvillo - YouTube

He's accurate and makes quick decisions, basically the exact opposite of Tim Tebow. Moon and Theisman are right, Tebow wouldn't stand a chance in the CFL.
I never said they were a bunch of scrubs. But, as you admit, they are a tier below the NFL. And I bet the Crimson Tide would beat the Edmonton Eskimos.

Tebow is arguably the greatest college QB ever to play. His skills do not translate well into the NFL but, much like another QB that "couldn't throw" named Doug Flutie, he would dominate in Canada.

I'm sure I watch more CFL than you watch NFL, given that you think a QB having 7-8 seconds in the pocket is a regular occurrence.You make it sound like I am bashing CFLers, which is not the case. I am simply, accurately stating that the average CFLer is not as big or as strong or as fast as the average NFLer. In terms of talent, they are very much the junior leagues.
Yes, and that's something Tebow did to the tune of 9,000 yards in college. So why anyone thinks he cannot throw a football is beyond me.

I watch alot more NFL than CFL. I am a pats fan first and foremost. But I do watch CFL, particularly through the summer before the NFL season starts. I tend to stop watching CFL at that time.

You had said that Tebow has more talent than 95% of players up here. I was just wondering how you determined that, given that you have likely watched few (if any) CFL games.

If his college game did not translate in the nfl, why do you think it would translate in the cfl? Could he run up here? sure. he could in the nfl too. But CFL QBs need to be much more accurate and have a quick release. I may have exagerated the amount of time NFL QBs have in the pocket, but I'm telling you they have less up here. With the wider fields accuracy is incredibly important. That seems to be Tebow's BIGGEST issue.

I watch alot more NFL than CFL. I am a pats fan first and foremost. But I do watch CFL, particularly through the summer before the NFL season starts. I tend to stop watching CFL at that time.

You had said that Tebow has more talent than 95% of players up here. I was just wondering how you determined that, given that you have likely watched few (if any) CFL games.
Because the talent level in the CFL is very much on par with the talent level at a top Division 1 football program, and Tebow dominated when he was playing against those programs.

In fact in the CFL, unlike the typical SEC team, there is nobody on defense with NFL talent.
If his college game did not translate in the nfl, why do you think it would translate in the cfl? Could he run up here? sure. he could in the nfl too
Not true. He cannot run in the NFL - at least not with any regularity or consistent success. NFL defensive lineman are too strong for him to run through and too fast for him to run around. Playing in Canada would be much more like the game he played at Florida.
But CFL QBs need to be much more accurate and have a quick release. I may have exagerated the amount of time NFL QBs have in the pocket, but I'm telling you they have less up here.
A mobile QB can buy time and dominate the CFL. That's why Doug Flutie is arguably the greatest CFLer in history, but mediocre in the NFL.

Because the talent level in the CFL is very much on par with the talent level at a top Division 1 football program, and Tebow dominated when he was playing against those programs.

In fact in the CFL, unlike the typical SEC team, there is nobody on defense with NFL talent.

Not true. He cannot run in the NFL - at least not with any regularity or consistent success. NFL defensive lineman are too strong for him to run through and too fast for him to run around. Playing in Canada would be much more like the game he played at Florida.
A mobile QB can buy time and dominate the CFL. That's why Doug Flutie is arguably the greatest CFLer in history, but mediocre in the NFL.

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Looks like we better cut Armstead and the Dolphins better cut Cameron Wake.

For the sake of my sanity, I am going to check out of this thread. It's making my head hurt. I sincerely hope he gets cut after another poor performance tonight, for the sake of Pats fans everywhere.

So no one wants to comment on the main point of the article - that Tebow has lost his speed and quickness that he had in college?

Anyone?

Having been dumped through 4 very different offenses, including his college years, I am not convinced this short-term exposure would not cause him to stop and think a little more than should be necessary. Knowledge of the system probably helps in terms of quickness and confidence, and he has not been in those different offenses long enough to gain that confidence. The degree of difficulty of the Pats offense likely eclipses them all.

With that said, his stats in Denver were not particularly good after some time there, and he was never asked to be Peyton Manning in that rather creative scheme Fox used to salvage the Broncos season. I doubt he has lost abilities, but I am not sure if he had those characteristics to begin with to a sufficient degree for the NFL. History has shown that what works in college does not necessarily translate to the NFL.

Looks like we better cut Armstead and the Dolphins better cut Cameron Wake.

And Seattle should cut Brandon Browner, since he had his start up here as well.

I don't know about you guys but I really got hung up on this part. Freeman's science education is really lacking.

On to Tebow talk. As bad as Tebow did look, someone should show him the famous 2008 preseason footage of Matt Cassel. Not that he didn't look bad, but Freeman's missing contrary evidence otherwise.

I am hardly one to defend Tebow. He just is not an NFL player. But Joe Kapp couldn't throw either, and won Grey Cups in Canada.

Thr thing I find indefensible though, is he is ruining whatever chance that guys like Quinton Sims or Kamar Aiken had of making an NFL squad, with his incompetantcy.

And Seattle should cut Brandon Browner, since he had his start up here as well.

I'm sorry, sir. It's past your check-out time. We will have to charge you for another day.

I am hardly one to defend Tebow. He just is not an NFL player. But Joe Kapp couldn't throw either, and won Grey Cups in Canada.

Thr thing I find indefensible though, is he is ruining whatever chance that guys like Quinton Sims or Kamar Aiken had of making an NFL squad, with his incompetantcy.

Ah Joe Kapp. Did you guys ever see this video? He's got a mean right.

Angelo Mosca and Joe Kapp Fist Fight - Complete Video - Unedited - YouTube

I was expecting a real breakdown, citing examples, of how Tebow has regressed. I think this article has about the same substantive value as someone in the comments section of an ESPN article that anonymously says "Tebow has slowed down." Not a lot of facts, specific plays, or scouts other than a very broad, general, and not likely to be true statement that "Scouts say..." Usually you would actually cite the real comments and not just lazily write it that way, unless you are basically just making stuff up.

I'm not a "Tebow homer" or anything like that. I'm just saying that this article is not worthy of being given its own thread. It's basically equivalent to a tweet or amateur opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back