PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Detroit Lions are a mess - look for a blowout 8-22-2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again,you don't get the point.

Belichick Never let's his hand show during preseason games,I don't care if the starters are out there the entire game,the starting team you see early is not going to be what you'll see when week 1 arrives in terms of play,they will be experimenting with different things as always as well as decide on the bubble boys and who is going to be unemployed next week.

If the starting group tonight stinks it up,I'm not worried about being in the running for the 2014 #1 draft pick,if the starting group scores 50 points on the Lions I'm not putting the Pats in the Super Bowl yet either.

. I think conclusions about how good or bad a team looks in the preseason should be tempered, especially with a team like the Patriots. Unlike other teams, the Patriots have been using the same schemes on both sides of the ball for so long that there isn’t much that isn’t already on film. As a result Bill Belichick isn’t afraid to push the envelope in the passing game and dialing up pressures on defense. The only area where the Patriots usually hold back during the preseason is in pass coverage, where they play a little more loosely than they will, say, in December. Still, the Patriots have not been afraid to show a lot of robber looks (one extra defender is freed up to read the quarterback and jump routes) of the kind they used late last season with safety Steve Gregory. With all that said, New England has looked very good so far. The real test will come when teams gameplan to put the young receivers and the tight end (Kenbrell Thompkins, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Zach Sudfeld) on the spot.

LeSean McCoy, Champ Bailey, Cam Newton and more preseason takeaways | The MMQB with Peter King

The only thing I care about is that no one of the Pats team blows any body part in this game.

I'm just sayin, this is not going to be a blowout, the OP is deluded IMO...

Yep.

Hey Tarheel (the OP), come on over to Duke for a lesson in prognostication....:p

It's a blowout, but the other way around

This thread ....

Want a mulligan ...

i_need_a_mulligan_funny_golf_infant_bodysuit.jpg

Last edited:
you mean nuclear mulligan....

a_bomb_blast_in_color.png

lol wish patsfans had a reputation system.

Well the title wasn't wrong....

Rooting around the Lions media and fans' messageboard, the Detroit Lions have problems everywhere except defensive line, running back (Reggie Bush looks good) and wide receiver - Megatron. They are fresh off of getting blown out by the Cleveland Browns heading into tomorrow night's game

A couple of examples:

The Lions brought in Rashean Mathis last week from the aptly named JAGuars and he displaced their starting cornerback within four days, and they will be starting a rookie at the other CB position, Darius Slay. The chaos in the Lions defensive backfield makes the Patriots DBs look like the second coming of the 1978 Oakland Raiders. This is a great game for the rookie Patriots receivers to get a lot of reps.

The Lions offensive line is just as bad, and has a large number of posters on Lions Red Zone questioning Matt Stafford, his mechanics and whether he'll survive the season. The Lions are starting three new offensive linemen this year and a rookie is challenging their starting center for his job. This is a team that led the league in 2012 in pass attempts throwing 100 more times than the Patriots did - 100 more passes! The Lions suck in short yardage rushing.

Watch for Chandler Jones, Tommy Kelly, Vince Wilfork and Rob Ninkovich to spend a serious amount of time in the Lions' backfield. This is also a game where the starting DBs should get some picks.

Look around for yourselves:

Lions Gab: Why preseason game vs. Patriots is huge | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Slay to First Team | LionsRedZone - Number #1 NFL Lions Football Fan Forum

You were right! Just the wrong team though... :bricks:

Actually, I agree that the Lions are a mess. 4 turnovers, and they manage 13 points? Pathetic, especially since they had really short fields twice. And the stupid, stupid penalties - embarrassing. And Stafford was bailing out when any action got near him. I thought the Lions looked like a "mess," that's exactly what I said to my friend - way before I saw this thread. The coach already doesn't seem to be running the show, the inmates have the reigns. Should Megatron miss any length of time the Lions are in my top 3 choices for 1 overall pick next year because if the wheels come off early this 'team' will just fold. Mark my words.

Yep, it was a blowout all right. Mallet, Thompkins & 1st team D (except for 1 play on opening drive) were bright spots. The rest was extremely forgettable.

Actually, I agree that the Lions are a mess. 4 turnovers, and they manage 13 points? Pathetic, especially since they had really short fields twice. And the stupid, stupid penalties - embarrassing. And Stafford was bailing out when any action got near him. I thought the Lions looked like a "mess," that's exactly what I said to my friend - way before I saw this thread. The coach already doesn't seem to be running the show, the inmates have the reigns. Should Megatron miss any length of time the Lions are in my top 3 choices for 1 overall pick next year because if the wheels come off early this 'team' will just fold. Mark my words.

I think Pats fans should quit with predicting anything Lions related.

Yep, it was a blowout all right. Mallet, Thompkins & 1st team D (except for 1 play on opening drive) were bright spots. The rest was extremely forgettable.

Mallet? Were you watching one of his college games?

Oops.

I didn't realize that I was the Kiss of Death.

I'll never, ever predict anything like this again. Ever.

We forgive you, Tarheel. Just don't pull this kind of thing in the regular season. :D

Oops.

You can predict a great season for Mark Sanchez anytime you wish. :p:p:p

Last edited:
I saw the thread title and thought it was predicting what actually happened: A Lions blowout of the Patriots, because the Lions look bad this season.

Teams with bad buzz often will go the extra mile to win a preseason game and kid their fans into thinking they'll be competitive. The fact that the game was versus the all-mighty Patriots gave them extra incentive to treat it extra seriously.

Give the OP credit for having some awfully good reasons to doubt Detroit this season.

Oops.

Just don't ever bet real money on a preseason game. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News