PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dept. of Defense paid Jets to salute their troops..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am under the impression that only military personnel in uniform are to salute. The rest of us should simply put our right hand over our heart?

If you (anyone) have not been in the military, you should not even attempt to salute in a situation that calls for a proper military salute. Military people can tell immediately in almost every case. Civilians think they know a proper salute and are doing it just like a military person but most of the time, there are enough subtle differences that it just looks dumb to a veteran.

What is proper and what is not has been ingrained in every military person that even the slightest difference is immediately registered and raises red flags. For a salute, it could be the position of the hand being slightly off. A bend in the arm or wrist, even where the fingers line up on the brow of the head or even the speed at which a salute is executed. It's not that every military person executes it exactly the same but there are common traits that you can't put your finger on and when you see it done the wrong way, you know.

I haven't had to exercise a salute in over 30 years and I can snap out a proper one without even trying. Muscle memory is a hell of a thing and "PT" is a hell of a motivator for getting it exactly right ;)

When I was brought up in the military, you did not salute when out of uniform. You stood at attention. I do that to this day. In 2008, the military changed the regs to allow for non-uniformed and veterans to salute when in civilian attire. I'm old school and feel more comfortable standing at attention.

If you (anyone) have not been in the military, you should not even attempt to salute in a situation that calls for a proper military salute. Military people can tell immediately in almost every case. Civilians think they know a proper salute and are doing it just like a military person but most of the time, there are enough subtle differences that it just looks dumb to a veteran.

What is proper and what is not has been ingrained in every military person that even the slightest difference is immediately registered and raises red flags. For a salute, it could be the position of the hand being slightly off. A bend in the arm or wrist, even where the fingers line up on the brow of the head or even the speed at which a salute is executed. It's not that every military person executes it exactly the same but there are common traits that you can't put your finger on and when you see it done the wrong way, you know.

I haven't had to exercise a salute in over 30 years and I can snap out a proper one without even trying. Muscle memory is a hell of a thing and "PT" is a hell of a motivator for getting it exactly right ;)

When I was brought up in the military, you did not salute when out of uniform. You stood at attention. I do that to this day. In 2008, the military changed the regs to allow for non-uniformed and veterans to salute when in civilian attire. I'm old school and feel more comfortable standing at attention.

Right, snapping out a good salute isn't easy. Even in the military you see good and bad ones. There is nothing like a good salute, held at the right angle, held for the right amount of time, etc.

Like you I'm old school. I stand at attention even though I'm retired military.

Thank you for your service!

Right, snapping out a good salute isn't easy. Even in the military you see good and bad ones. There is nothing like a good salute, held at the right angle, held for the right amount of time, etc.

Like you I'm old school. I stand at attention even though I'm retired military.
Thank you for your service!

It's one thing to charge for TV commercials because you know it's a business and those costs a lot of money. But saluting troops before a game? That's horse **** to charge for. There was a time not too long ago that we didnt even have the money for tech wipes to clean the planes with...Proud of Kraft for doing the right thing.
Taking the time during broadcast to get people to join the army costs money too. Saluting the troops is just another commercial, a way to get people to buy the product. In this case that is joining the army.

Major League Baseball doesn't pull this ****...... the NFL is becoming more of a disgrace.... and no superrich football player should collect money from taxpayers.... nor should the military offer money for phoney salutes.. makes me sick..

Tax payers pay to have these stadiums built (not Gillette, though). Tax payers pay the Military. Why should the Military use tax money to pay teams to use salute them in stadiums built with Tax Dollars?

Tax payers pay to have these stadiums built (not Gillette, though). Tax payers pay the Military. Why should the Military use tax money to pay teams to use salute them in stadiums built with Tax Dollars?
The military shouldn't get free commercials.

I have changed my opinion on this.... The armed forces had a commercial contract with these teams.. it was initiated by the armed forces because the NFL is a huge target audience.... and now that the contract is up these teams have been falsely misrepresented with their intentions..

I think that it is fine for anyone to object to how the Department Of Defense spends its advertising budget. Obviously, the DoD thinks that this expenditure is reasonable.

OPTION 1
Refuse to be part of the DoD commercial.

OPTION 2
Be part of the commercial, but do it for free.

OPTION 3
Be part of the commercial, and paying a negotiated rate for such advertising.
=======

The NFL has chosen Option 3, and shares the money among all the teams. There is nothing wrong with this position. The NFL could choose to provide services for free. I'd support that. However, I'm not sure whether DoD would. I think that DoD prefers to pay for its commercials, rather than a contest of which organizations provide it the most free advertising.

The Patriots are not on the list. Nobody cares.

I guess we can now change our view now that we know that the patriots accepted $225K. After all, the only reason that folks are posting is to diss the jets.

I guess we can now change our view now that we know that the patriots accepted $225K. After all, the only reason that folks are posting is to diss the jets.
My outrage had nothing to do with the Jets, nor did my change of opinion have to do with the pats taking part.... I am angry at the p.r. for the military painting the picture that NFL owners were inviting the military to games, then shaking them down...

The way it is run kinda makes sense.. if you attend NFLgames the Jets fly overhead.. (real cool) then later on they introduce the pilots to the crowd for a standing ovation. In which a young adult or teen will think "WOW" sign me up..

I am certain that the Pats Falcons, even the Frigging Jets support the military and honor them at the games outside of what a contract says.. if you look at the money involved (considering the commercial rebel force of the NFL) I think they got a break..

NFL owners are super greedy.. but in this case they have been wrongfully portrayed, and I fell for it also... that's the criminal media for you..

. I was in the USAF.. I can tell the differences but I never gave a ****.. if people wanted to salute me God bless them... they are obviously trying to show me respect.. I certainly don't think of them as looking stupid.. the whole point of my service was so civilians can freely express themselves.. with some bitter vets I know you would think people were giving them the middle finger..

And yes I know the protocol... don't matter..

I am under the impression that only military personnel in uniform are to salute. The rest of us should simply put our right hand over our heart?
Actually, civilians can do whatever they want. Salute, hand over heart, finger, moon, etc... Personally, I just take my hat off, if I'm wearing one, and stand and clasp my hands in front of me out of complete respect.

Military recruitment is a dirty business. That's the truth of it.

I coached quite a few kids who grew up to be soldiers. They were all very proud to serve and have turned into fine young men.

There are plenty of other reasons to diss the Jets.

I coached quite a few kids who grew up to be soldiers. They were all very proud to serve and have turned into fine young men.

Go walk the hallways and wards of a military hospital like Walter Reed then tell me Military recruitment isn't a dirty business.

So I guess that a salute with a medium mocha latte in your hand is improper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes