PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How about something to really get upset over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm tired of hearing about Goodell obsessing over ball sizes, though we all know the commish prefers them big and round.

What the **** is this about?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/taxpayers_pony_up_for_jets_salutes_to_nj_national.html

Jets' salutes honor N.J. National Guard but cost taxpayers

When the Jets paused to honor soldiers of the New Jersey Army National Guard at home games during the past four years, it was more than a heartfelt salute to the military — it was also worth a good stack of taxpayer money, records show.

The Department of Defense and the Jersey Guard paid the Jets a total of $377,000 from 2011 to 2014 for the salutes and other advertising, according to federal contracts. Overall, the Defense Department has paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million during that time, of which $5.3 million was paid by the National Guard to 11 teams under similar contracts.​

Note this is not meant to distract or deflect attention away from Brady's balls or anything. It's just that in the grand scheme of life, I know which story offends and disgusts me more.

http://www.scout.com/story/1545004-nfl-teams-paid-to-thank-troops-at-games

Expands on the story, listing other teams who do similar:

It's hardly a secret that the NFL is one of the leading recruitment vehicles for the U.S. military. The problem, Flake implies, is that these events are portrayed as genuine moments of gratitude expressed to America's servicemen, not advertisements.

The Department of Defense offers a breakdown (below) of payments since 2011. Teams that received taxpayer funds include the Baltimore Ravens ($799,000), Cincinnati Bengals ($138,960) Cleveland Browns ($22,500), the Green Bay Packers ($600,000), Pittsburg Steelers, ($36,000) Minnesota Vikings ($605,000), Atlanta Falcons ($1,049,500) Indianapolis Colts ($620,000), Buffalo Bills ($679,000), Dallas Cowboys ($62,500), Miami Dolphins ($20,000), Kansas City Chiefs ($250,000), St. Louis Rams ($60,000), and the afore-mentioned Jets.

I knew it was a recruitment vehicle but I had no idea that they paid NFL teams to do this....and NFL teams accepted.

Disgusting. $800k to the Ravens?Ugh.

What? This is why we can't afford to pay our players!!!!

it was more annoying when I thought it was lame pandering

I don't know why anybody gets upset about this
you guys weren't aware the various branches of the service spent money recruiting?
they advertise just like any other business

I wonder if they target Baltimore due to socioeconomics. Silicon Valley prob doesn't feed the U.S. army as much as poorer areas of the country.

It's all for the integrity of the league.

I wonder if the fans who cheer can get a chunk of the action?

Only in America...

Figures Baltimore and Indy are leading the league in slime money. Pills are expensive....

With the mass media culture we live in everything has a price tag and nothing is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back