PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Sanders on Julian Edelman...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that if Edelman had a different skin tone he'd be considered more of an athlete...and more of a "punk" instead of just a "fiery competitor."

You know what I call him, though? A ridiculous bargain. 4 years, $17 million? Seriously?

yeah, Kraft should pay him a bonus off the books. He is worth a lot more.

Did you ever notice how many "beefs" that Edelman gets into every game?? He is always in somebodys' face.. he is not known for backing down.

He is a tough bastard...
5562962-Old-rusty-bolt-and-nut-Stock-Photo.jpg

He's really good, especially in big games, but he's really only in the top 10-15 for WRs. We may notice the difference in 2 weeks watching Julio.
I agree.

Definitely a player that fans would hate with a passion unless he was on their team.

Kinda like Kenny "The Rat" Linesman

No way! Edelman rocks. Reminds me a bit of Chrebet. Of course there's the small white guy thing, but mainly it's being clutch, tough, sure-handed and impossible to cover.

I've been saying for years Edelman is more important to the Pats than Gronk.

Plus he's awesome in PPR for my fantasy team.

Deion and Michael Irvin are my two favorite national football analysts. Neither have any grudges and appreciate the Patriots' success the way any football fan or football analyst should. They know how hard it is to achieve success and give the Pats the credit that they have earned.
Winners know.

Brown and Branch would get the same treatment, so I agree.

Except Branch was traded for a first round pick after winning Super Bowl MVP, so that doesn't really hold water. Brown I'll agree with, however.

I'd say it's a little odd that Edelman is always referred to as scrappy or a hard worker, but never as an elite athlete or someone oozing with raw athleticism, despite incredible testing numbers. His short shuttle and three-cone time are some of the best marks in history. The vocabulary reveals an ingrained narrative that's outdated. I'm tired of "cerebral" white players and "beast" or "animal" black players. I'd say the reports show that Brissett is an intelligent leader of men. Edelman is a freak athlete. Give them their due and don't pigeonhole people.

Hogan & JE could have had even better games. They both had drops because of wanting to run before securing the ball. In Hogan's case, he had blockers lined up and might have scored.

I'm paraphrasing slightly here, cos it's from my slightly hazy memory from post game but Deion went off on the host when he tried to dismiss Jules as an afterthought....

"Let's call it what it is, flat out reverse racism. He's a top 5 wr in the league but nobody talks about him because he's caucasian. Everyone knows he's the main target but no one has been able to stop him for 7 damn years. No one got an answer for him. He goes deep, he goes across the middle, he throws the ball, he runs the ball, he moves the chains."

Welker had the same issue in his prime. Slot receivers (even if they really aren't slot receivers) simply don't get the same level of respect.

Slot receivers (even if they really aren't slot receivers) simply don't get the same level of respect from the media.

Fixed it for ya.

Heard Jamie Dukes a few months ago on his Sirius Saturday show say Edelman wasn't athletic. Couldn't believe it.

I always loved someone's sig that was out there - that watching Edelman return punts was like watching a fat man approach an ice patch he did not see. You did not know exactly what would happen, but knew it would be good. Yeah, Edelman is not an athlete.

Heard Jamie Dukes a few months ago on his Sirius Saturday show say Edelman wasn't athletic. Couldn't believe it.

You mean the old fat OL who played in the 80s?

What I love about Jules that he has over other receivers is, he has that mental toughness. Such a tough receiver. Not afraid of anything. He'll get in there and block, run the ball on an end around, just an all around tough receiver. Used to love Welker and call him a warrior, I think Edelman is even tougher than Welker. Mentally AND physically.

They don't get it from other players, or fans, either. It comes with the (alleged) job description.

Some fans, it's true. Other players? Most receivers can play from slot to Z these days, so its hard to say who is a slot receiver. I would be surprised if most players didn't respect Julian Edelman or Doug Baldwin, Mohammed Sanu or many others who line up or have lined up in the slot a lot.

Deion, one of the all time great corners, respects Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe