Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Should QBs get to throw the ball any way they like it?

• Yes

Votes: 82 70.1%
  • No the ball should be one way for everybody

Votes: 35 29.9%

• Total voters
How so? The report didn't add anything new to the story.

Ravens were mad, had some sort of hunch, probably tipped off Pagano, who then tipped off the league, and the league wanted to check the ball pressure at halftime.

If the Pats fiddled with the balls (wow I can't believe I even have use that in a sentence...) after being approved by the refs, then yes, they are in deep, deep trouble and I can't defend them anymore

But if they did nothing wrong, and it was temperature based, then you can't pin them with anything.

Sour grapes. Sad part is, the AFC isn't getting any better next year and the league will be seeing the Pats in the same position once again: winning.

Not due to temperature, based on all the expert-math-science-physics folks. Worst is 1/2 PSI drop based on the conditions that night. That still does not account for 1-1/2 PSIs. Also, all 11 footballs would not uniformly drop exactly that amount.

Never the less, everyone brace for the penalty by end of week.

Another "tainted asterisk" next to BillB and TomB names.. Sigh.

still banking on the distraught and upset over their own Refs during this game.

the refs should take full blame for this whole deal

Interestingly enough, this is looking more and more like a QB comfort/preference matter vs any kind of a competitive advantage. And when you recognize that the NFL already allows its QBs wide latitude on grooming their favorite footballs, in addition to allowing them to wear any type of glove they want (on their throwing hand), it makes you question why the 12.5 - 13.5 standard even exists....unless it can be shown to be a rule that directly correlates with the objective of ensuring no opportunity for gaining a competitive advantage.

This is the crux of the issue. What was the purpose of the PSI range? Was it a relic designed to control the kicking game? Was it designed to reduce an QB's/offense's competitive advantage? It's obvious the NFL is pro offense, so why implement a rule that limits the QB's ability to score? If (as that D-Bag Brunnel pointed out) it gives a significant competitive advantage why not (in this present day offense obsessed NFL) let all QB's PSI to their liking (within reasonable limits of course)?

I expect this is going to be a replay of Cameragate. The league will say (both because it's truthful and because they have no choice but to say it even if it wasn't, especially with a Superbowl team involved) that the balls had no competitive effect, but that NE broke a rule and will need to be made an example of. And since this is the second time around, the penalties will be worse. I expect loss of the first-round pick and BB being suspended for some/all of 2015.
But I still can't see how this is as serious as the camera issue. The camera issue was allegedly taping other teams signals, this only had to do with the Patriots footballs and the Patriots footballs only. Had nothing to do with opposing teams if it had no competitive advantage.

Also, why don't they suspend all the other coaches around the league since their QB's do the same thing to footballs?

The question of rain is interesting here.

If rain adds 10x the weight that an extra 1 or 2 PSI do, then a QB like Brady may have grabbed a soggy ball and said, this thing is heavy and overinflated, bring it down.

Which also begs the question about how the NFL doesn't allow for game conditions to impact the paramters for the ball.

Ouch this isn't gonna end well, apparently the NFL have been planning this for a while, way before the AFC Championship.Not looking good.

So the nfl was in cahoots with the colts?

Glazer says that other head coaches are tired of this kind of crap from the pats. But we also have other reports that the head coaches in Mobile think this whole thing is crap because everyone does it...

Because what gets Fox more viewers and web hits? The controversy!

I hope the league makes an announcement tomorrow, getting tired of this crap...

They wanna move onto the super bowl as well. No way they let this go another 48 hours.

What have the Pats gotten away with that other teams get the book thrown at them for? Easy to make a report like that when you are as vague as possible. I can't stand Glazer.

The only person we should be listening to himself said only 1, one, uno, single, ball was taken from circulation. Wtf is the big deal?

Anyone here know how to print up T-shirts? I have a big money making idea.........have a shirt that says Pats hater ? with a pic of deflated Testicles depicting Brady and Belichick....I will buy one if you make them.

Maybe teams like the Ravens wanted to stick the knife in the Patriots back without being the wiser.
So the whole we didn't notice is bs.
Makes sense to both take down a rival.
Baltimore calls Indy and says lets get them Pagano was a raven so it makes sense and Irsay is a drug addict who has no business how could we talk about air out of a ball when Irsay had illegal drugs.
Ray Lewis murdered someone then paid them off.
Indy threw a whole effing season for Luck where is there punishment?

No it doesnt.

But some first grade math gets us there.

There is a window of variance allowed by the NFL in what it deems acceptable, 12.5 psi to 13.5 psi.
s.

Two factors taken together (Colts submitted higher allowed psi footballs and used cooler air than the Patriots in inflating their footballs) and there is no cheating.. what so ever.

OK makes sense but... the report I saw actually said they came in at 10.5 Lbs, not that it makes a difference in your explanation but .5 is a big difference here. I get all the math and agree with you but somehow I dont think the NFL will put any effort into calculating this or ever saying the weather temps could have an affect, if they did it would bring in the credibility of any game played this year. I dont think they will do it, they will hang the Pats for this, just like they would "never" admit if it was a ref mistake.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back